Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Dmaxdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8452
Dexter EZ Flex kit.

I just installed one of these kits.Great value when bought online from Dexter. This Kit is very heavy duty and the new equalizer and shackle plates are much heavier than OEM. I did this just in time as the original dry plastic bushings were paper thin and just ready to cut through. I am an industrial mechanic but this is a job most handy guys could do themselves. I put the grease zerks on the inside as it is easier to grease from the inside.
http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_equalizers

Dmaxdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I agree with you about the grease zerks would be easier to grease from the inside. I installed mine out with angle zerks. Even with the angled zerks it would be easier to grease from the inside.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We had the suspension kit installed last month- Have towed over 1000 miles- Am delighted with the improvement in the trailer ride- Also had the grease zerks installed on the inside- Sure is easier to lube- The tech who did the install also drilled out the grease holes b4 installing- The tight fit sometimes scrapes metal into the grease holes making them plug up and not accept grease- It is worth every cent we spent- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Dmaxdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8452
I have read in other posts that some people are having problems driving the knurled bolts all the way in.If you put the bolts in from the inside for easy greasing like I did, the holes have no previous grooves cut and are a little harder to get in all the way but they will go in all the way as long as the holes are line up so the threaded end's shoulder goes into the hanger bracket hole on the outside. This is real important because if you tighten the nut with the shoulder not lined up, you are clamping the hanger bracket and the nut will not stay tight.
Once you know you are lined up, you can clamp the holder together to squeeze the spring. I used two industrial clamps to do this. This takes all the bounce out of the hanger bracket and makes it easy to drive the knurled bolt all the way in.
I drive on a 3/8" deep impact socket to cover and protect the grease zerk and I use a 4 lb hammer.You can hear the hammer blow change sound as soon as the head is up tight against the hanger.
If your knurled bolt is not up tight, it is not locked completely or the bolt is not lined up. Either one , it is not a proper installation and you might want an RV tech to investigate.
Dmaxdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We pushed the bushings in with a C-clamp and used bolt as a guide, chamfered all the exit grease zerk holes, ensured these exit holes were in the 3 or 9 oclock position. We also installed the bolts with zerks to the outside and tack welded each bolt head to ensure there is no possibilty of loosing the shackle bolt if the nut came loose. Torqued the shackle bolt nuts at 30 foot pounds . Probably have a 1000 miles plus on the system now and greased the zerks with no problems from the outside in a standing position, did not have to crawl under the rig to do this. All zerks accepted grease appropriately. Very happy with the installation.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Have discovered a downside to our EZ flex- The trailer now has more movement when in camp- But we can accept the motion in exchange for the improvement in towing smoothness- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
Just had E-Z flex installed last tuesday at dexter. I called to find out what it would cost to have them install. The lady I talk to said that if you buy them and bring them to Dexter they will install them for nothing, that fit my budget, since I go within about a hour of there about every week.I didn't notice that much differance in the ride on the way home. jim
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote