Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Caring For Your Tires

There are several items in this "service tip," that have been discussed in different threads. I think this sums it all up pretty good. The object of this is not to agree or disagree with the article, but to provide information and let you determine what is right for you.

Caring For Your Tires

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Interesting, Wayne. Thanks for the link.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Most of the info is worth while and I ain't going to argue the points with the "experts" at Winnebago but I would like to ask how do you 3.
Avoid prolonged exposure to heat, cold or moisture.
In order to do this you extreme northern folks and the extreme southerners will be paying for a temperature controled storage facility.
The subject about covering tires has been discussed numerous times and so I ain't gonna say any more than "bull".

Just keep in mind that regardless of the care most ALL properly inflated and aligned tires will only last 5 to 7 years.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, the link is Winnebago, but the information is general in nature. I also took a concerned look at #3, but then I'm thinking "storage." As stated, tires are better used than just sitting. As for covering, It primarily is ozone that is damaging to tires, and again when they are not being used. If I had it sitting out in the open and not being moved quite a bit, I think I would opt to cover them from UV, but I'm not sure how much UV plays a part in changing the properties of a tire. I'm not an expert by no means when it comes to tires, but my daddy, granddaddy, and lots of folks cover their tires without adverse affect. I guess the test would be to take two identical (Can you get two identical) tires and place then out in the open, cover one and leave the other uncovered.

After doing that, report back in 5-7 years and let us know what the difference is.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
When sitting outside for extended periods of time, I cover mine...can't hurt.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
No it can't hurt and I also am no expert on tires but I did put many many years in the wholesale and retail tire business. Back in 1971 my brother and I started our own tire business and even though I have left the business and my brother passed away his son, my nephew, still operates that same shop today.

Tires die from age, 5 to 7 years on average, and protecting them from the ozone or UV rays "may" extend their life by a few months and even that is very questionable. NO covering tires will not hurt them but it is very doubtful any added life will be noticeable.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Glenn,
I'm not trying to start anything here, but I really don't know if there has been enough research on the subject to lead to one conclusion or the other. What is said that covering them may extend the life by a month or two, maybe. But on the other side, how many months of use would be decreased by not covering them? Just a thought.