Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Educational stuff on towing and weights..

This good reading and very educational. Would like to see rvsafety.org at the next Fall rally???

http://www.rvsafety.org/

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/what-can-i-tow.htm

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Rich. Good information there. I saved the spreadsheets.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I went to a RV rally in Brooksville, FL several years ago and I put my pusher M/H on their scales. I was shocked to find that my left front tire was within 200 lbs. of maximum. I couldn't believe it and asked that they weigh it again. Still it was within 200lb of max.
The other tires where way under the max.
I was barely loaded and had to rearrange my storage compartments. You would think that the designers of RV would balance the loads better but they don't.
I'm so glad that I had it on the scales and found out before I had a blow out from an overloaded left front tire.
If there is any way to get RVSAFETY to a rally then you should push for it. And it's free.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Rich, can't open the second site! Is it correct?? No problem with the first site but keeps coming up can't find the second sight!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rondo..They both open OK for me from the post. I think it would be a eye opener to many of us to have these folks at the rally and have our rigs weighed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had the same problem opening the spreadsheet on the second link.

Here is the DIRECT LINK to it:

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That spread sheet really illustrates how difficult it is to get an accurate assessment of the towing capacity of any vehicle. You really do need to visit the scales and make several weighings. Published data is not reliable except for the GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR.

I witnessed a sales person telling someone they could pull a certain high end trailer with an F250. My first thought was how can you say that without knowing a whole lot more about the truck. I don't know what that trailer weighed either, but I'm pretty sure that it was not a lightweight trailer. Maybe an F-250 could have pulled it, but you need a whole lot more information before you can make that statement with any authority.

I did once inquire about getting the weighing people to come to one of our rallies. They told me that they book up very early and were not able to come that year. It is a good idea, but are people going to want to pack up their trailers and hook up to their trucks, just to get weighed? If everyone came in on the same day, it might work, but otherwise I'm not sure it would be very practical.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
When I had mine weighed at a rally it was done after the rally was over and on the way out of the park. It doesn't take that long to do it. You are handed a sheet of paper days before and you fill out your trailer specs. name, model, axle wts., and so on. They will have a book showing what your wts should be. While you are on the scale they will tell you then if you are over/under your maximum.
Its not that times consuming and its good information that could save you lots of trouble down the road.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote