Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Had my Hitch installed Question

I had my Hitch installed yesterday the Pull Rite Super 5th 20.5k. The dealer a long time RV repair and service facility. Bill's RV in Ventura installed it. He indicated to me that the front chassis brackets would need to be welded on as the fuel tank was on the opposite side of the chassis so we agreed to that. A friend of mine who worked on heavy equipment his whole life said that was stronger that bolts. I then asked him if it wouldn't be better to weld all the brackets on and he said yep. Far superior to bolts. So I advised Bill that if he too felt that way then weld the hitch on, which they have done. I suspect it may have sped the install up a bit as they did not have to drill all those holes through the chassis. It still took them close to 4 hours to install it. They took their time.
Has anyone else had their hitch welded on? Is it preferred? Any concerns about having it welded on? They also installed my Ride Rite Air bags and Banks exhaust. All in all my unit was in the shop about 10 hours yesterday.

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Bob
Mine was welded, but the hitch is not welded on. They welded angle to the frame and driled holes in it to bolt the hitch. This was because when I bought the truck it had a hitch prior. There was two angles there prior. I had thought that welding made the frame weak but the experts tell me its ok.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Depends on the skill level of the welder, the knowledge of the installer, and the materials used. Lots of if's. Some frame makers do not want ANY welding on their frames. Bolting is good if the same factors are considered. We rely on the skill of the installer in all things, sounds like you did all you could to get a good job.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:16 AM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I agree with OZZ. Some frame manufactures do not any wielding done to the frames. If the installer used good bolts and not made in China you should be alright to have it bolted. The foreign bolt manufactures will put any grade stamps on bolt even if they are not what they should be. Yes they bit us again.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I have been told all my life to NEVER weld on a frame, and semi frames have stickers when they are new stating that welding on the frame is a big no-no. Their frames are tempered steel, and the heat from the welding process takes the temper out.

All that said, if you look at my truck, you will see the gooseneck hitch, the fifth wheel hitch brackets, and the air bag brackets, all welded to the frame. The fifth wheel brackets have only been on for a little over a year, and were welded on by my dealer, the others have been there since it was new, and were welded on by me. The only reason I did it that way was to save time, and I felt it wouldn't hurt anything. So far no problems.

If you ever trade trucks or hitches though, you will find it takes more work to remove the brackets, and grind everything smooth again. I'll probably just buy new brackets when the time comes.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
If they use the right bracket kit from pull-rite, then they shouldn't need to weld anything. When we install 5W hitches in our shop, we don't weld anything. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Had my Pullrite 18K super slider installed yesterday in my 2008 Chevy 3500 DRW 4X4. The installer asked if I wanted to use just the bolts with the brackets or weld them. I had them weld the bolts staying away from frame welding. As good a compromise that we could think of.
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
I have the Pull Rite Superglide 16K hitch with the super rail kit.The brackets bolted to the frame using existing holes for the rear rails and sandwiched the frame for the front rails using brackets & bolts,I drilled 4 holes in the bed with a hole saw bit for the super rail pins.Its a very heavy duty hitch and works as advertised. I can make really tight turns without worry of crashing the cab.I even kinked it up in the driveway after installation to be sure the 5ver wouldn't hit.It took me about 6 hours to install.Highly recommended for short box trucks.

Philip
2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 quad cab short box,
2007 Mountaineer 336 RLT 5ver
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
My 16K Reese is welded to the frame. It was installed by Dan's Service Center on the north side of the toll road in Elkhart and it took them most of a Saturday morning to install it.

Bob, I don't think it is uncommon for it to take 4 hrs for a 5th wheel hitch to be installed if it is done correctly.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I guess there is nothing wrong with a good weld job, however; if bolts loosen they rattle and give you warning, if the weld breaks the part falls off.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
To weld or not to weld...

The Pullrite rep indicated that it wasn't necessary however, personal choice can occur and as this thread indicates it's about half and half.

I had the 18K Superglide installed; 4 holes in my bed and a great job to boot on my NBS 2007 Chev 2500HD. The dealer that put mine in indicated no preference to weld.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote