Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #21
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
AZ Traveler -- I haven't even gone camping with my RV once yet (just bought it last week!) but boondocking as you describe is one of the main reasons I wanted to get a RV, let alone full-time with it. I hope it works out as I'm dreaming it will. I grew up, lived, and traveled all over the world (mostly 3rd world s**hole countries ) many places without safe drinking water and unreliable power. So as long as I have my coffee and nobody bothering me, I should be good.

I just got off the phone with a friend, both of us RV newbies, talking about boondocking. We were trying to figure what made sense for dry-camping power sources. He was leaning to an Onan generator. I was leaning to a couple of lithium batts and solar panels, and (2) 2000W generators with 30A adapter. Neither of us has any idea, it's just talk now.

I had 17 250W solar panels on my house in Hawaii, and I tell ya, it ran everything except the central air-conditioner. 17 panels was pretty awesome.
Scott,
Take your time to research your power choices. I have had 2 2000W Hondas for awhile, have gone to 4 golf cart batteries and starting to work inverter and solar.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #22
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I don't want to appear to be high brow but on a related note. I do wish they would restrict 30amp campers to 30 amp sites. It is really aggravating when popup campers and tents stake out all the 50 amp sites!!
The private RV parks we have used have always asked if we wanted 50 or 30 amp. Since they charge more for 50 amp most of us are going to take the 30 amp if that's all we need. Since most are just parking lots and we are only spending the nite we are just looking for a spot to sleep in. Now if your talking about scenic parks like COE or state parks, I'm going to take the one with the best view, most private, more level, ect. weather I need 50 amp or not. In these situations the early bird gets the worm!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #23
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
<snip>More often than not 30 amp is plenty. I also agree that boondocking is awesome. That is one of the reasons I bought my trailer. My trailer is now 14 years old and have never been turned away. If I call to make reservations and they ask how old my trailer is I tell them 9 years old. If you maintain your rig you will not be turned away.
Thanks, that's encouraging. With the 30A, you can run the coffee maker or microwave or A/C, but nothing else? Is that correct?

I can't wait to try boondocking, even if it's Walmart for a night!

My approach right now -- not sure if this is a correct approach -- is to just do some RV park camping locally to start with. Then start spreading farther away from home base. And as I gain confidence and shake-out the rig and get it outfitted with what I need, then take it on longer and longer trips, farther and farther away. My first long-trip will probably be from home base in N. Virginia to Venice, FL where my Dad lives. Then one day, I'll realize that I don't go back to home base much anymore and just put the condo up for sale/rent.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #24
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
scottkeen make sure that you have LED lights if you will be doing any camping without hook ups.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #25
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
scottkeen make sure that you have LED lights if you will be doing any camping without hook ups.
Yes, I have started putting in LED lights (bulbs and plates) from M4. I thought I'd like the "natural" color temp, but it seems a little too white for me, I might try the "warm" color temp.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #26
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Scott,
Take your time to research your power choices. I have had 2 2000W Hondas for awhile, have gone to 4 golf cart batteries and starting to work inverter and solar.
I had a Honda EU3000is and it was an *awesome* genny. It was so incredibly quiet. I took it truck/tent/dirt-bike boondocking with my church men's group along with a 9,000 BTU air-conditioner and I was living in style.

The electric starter is nice, but that thing was a beast. I think it was 150 lbs.

I plan to go with the Honda EU2000i + EU2000ic companion in parallel which gives 4000W peak on a 30A outlet built into the companion. No electric start, but lighter and the option to just run one 2000W generator if that's all that's needed.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #27
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Wow, did this thread wander a bit Sometimes I think it makes for a more fun discussion.

Ten year rule - we have never seen that cut off in the Northeast and on two cross country trips in the past three years never encountered it either but do understand that some resort CGs elsewhere are starting to add that to their "Rules". If your 5er is over that age 'limit' and are making reservations in advance, a call to the CG followed up by an emailed photo may cure the problem (unless your 5er looks like a rolling junkyard).

Big dogs with a reputation are a problem and certain breeds may be in the CGs insurance policy, right or wrong. Our 'home' CG does not have breed restrictions but there are some folks that should be banned along with their aggressive dogs. regardless of size.

A 20-30 amp RV of some sort in a 50 amp site - they probably paid the extra bucks for that site for whatever reason. Would I liked to have had that site, maybe, but then 30 amps is usually all we need unless it's brutally hot and we need both a/c units on. I dislike hauling that heavy cord out unless it's really necessary

Boondocking -in the Northeast - that's usually Walmart, Flying J or some other parking lot. Most NY State CGs are boondock parks but once our RV passed 30-32 feet, is basically left out - unless you want a very poor site. Our last and SOB (33 feet) was setup with solar panels, batteries and an inverter and was used for boondocking.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Campgrounds will set the 10 year rule to keep out RVs that have not been maintained.We have seen Rvs in campgrounds that should be in junkyards. We never had a problem with our 10 year old TT nor were we ever asked how old it was when checking in.

Never heard of the CA 5 year rule and did not have a problem with our 2006 Montana being over 5 years old. If your RV is in good condition you will likely not have a problem regardless of age.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #29
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
The 10 year rule is not a bad thing. I know a couple with a 1986 TT that gets in everywhere by simply sending pictures and does not have to tell a lie. Same with a neighbor and his 2005 Class C. If older campers are to be permitted they are maintained.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #30
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
Oh wow, something I did not factor in when I bought my 6-year (now 7-year) old Montana! My truck is a 2007, so I wonder if that already breaks the 10-year old rule!

Yikes!

RoadRunnerTR21 = by "upper-tier parks", I'm guessing that equates to $$$$
We have a 2016 Montana and a 2002 Ford F350. We have never had an issue getting in to a park. Our truck is great looking. My husband keeps it clean and shiny.

We used to have a 2002 Keystone Challenger and never had a problem either. Once, when making reservation, the park asked for a picture of our rig. We sent it and they said no problem. At that same park, there was an old GMC motorhome that was way more than 10 years old and they went through the same procedure and were given the OK.
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #31
cardinal96ss
Established Member

M.O.C. #20104
A couple things I support-
. 50 amp service for big rigs in the heat of summer for 2 a/c's
. Diesel pump only lanes at service stations(other than the semi areas) so the lanes are not occupied by those using the gas pumps when there are gas only pumps available.
. Efforts to keep RV parks from being trashy, but with no RV age limits (our is a well maintained and good looking 2006) Ours will never be older than 9 1/2.
. Dog breed restrictions on pit bulls. Our 2 1/2 yr old female German Shepard (Whiskey) is a sweetheart as was the Rot.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #32
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I should clarify that our rig does have dual fuel hot water tank but the fridge is residential electric only so it really doesn't matter. Our last rig was 30 amp. I understand the "first come first serve" concept and unfortunately it is usually the very best sites that get the first upgrades from 30 to 50amp so everyone wants them. Having said that I still think there should be more respect from fellow campers to leave the 50 amp sites for the 50 amp rigs. Just because you can do something does not mean you should.

On the Boondocking thing. I don't consider overnight stays while traveling boondocking and we do plan to get a generator for that purpose. And you have to understand that we live in the Boondocks (20 remote acres in the North Arkansas Ozark Mountains). I have slept on my 4 wheeler in a hammock in the middle of the woods and on the bow of my bass boat. I am getting older though so now at the end of a day of enjoying the outdoors I like to have a nice comfy 5th wheel hooked up to 50amp service to relax in! It isn't that we don't enjoy the boondocks, just that we take it in smaller doses than I used too.....You will note the kayaks in the picture (why we bought the basement toy hauler).

On the dog thing. I owned a German Shepard myself at one time. He was super friendly but caused a lot of panic in people that didn't know him. I think the leash law is the best compromise. We keep our two Chihuahuas on leashes anytime we are in public. I absolutely don't like the idea of any animal being allowed to run free regardless of how friendly the owner claims it is. It's just disrespectful to allow an animal to approach other people.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #33
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Just do a lot of mods and by the time 10 years comes around over half of the rig will be newer and just go with the majority of the mods on the coach/rig/rv/ trailer and declare a less than 10 year old Montana. They will not ask for any greater documentation than green-backs.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #34
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jim, The best kayaking we have done was off the coast of Alaska along with whales and other great wildlife. We did it boondocking and yes its really nice to bring a high end rig with all the comfort of home. Any rig can be set up to boondock without giving up comfort - its harder but still doable in a real high temp place. We also enjoy campgrounds too but some of the best places require pulling the plug.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #35
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Jim, The best kayaking we have done was off the coast of Alaska along with whales and other great wildlife. We did it boondocking and yes its really nice to bring a high end rig with all the comfort of home. Any rig can be set up to boondock without giving up comfort - its harder but still doable in a real high temp place. We also enjoy campgrounds too but some of the best places require pulling the plug.
Now I bet that was a heck of a fight trying to reel in a whale from a kayak LOL....

We mostly do moderate white water here in Arkansas. There is a lot of that here in the "Natural State". For me it is as much about the fishing as the scenery.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote