Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #21
Justme44
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18168
Thank you Joe for the link. I did read it.
Dennis

Justme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #22
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Beau2010

Read your owner's manual; mine clearly states that the warranty will be voided if a hitch is added to the rear or if used as a permanent residence.
Depends a lot on your definition of permanent residence. Mine is a highly mobile residence. Since August it's resided in Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma. It's never permanent for more than a few months at a time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This one is gonna move in a couple of weeks and we will be in 6 or more states in the next few months. How permanent is that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #24
Fordplus5er
Established Member

M.O.C. #17346
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Maybe they would be better served to concentrate on homeless people living full time in tents and cardboard boxes in our major cities than worrying about anything to do with full time living in an RV.
X2... but there is more income potential (tax money) from harassing RV'ers
Fordplus5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:28 AM   #25
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I think the "permanent" word would also have to state that the occupant has a legal address that is to the place where the RV is and would be the only structure that is at such address and capable for habitation. I live in mine no question, but my legal address is not where the RV is, so really its my word against theirs. I would think that they would have to prove to the fact that i really live in it. and in most cases the RV company would rather just approve the warranty than spend the time and money on all the claims trying to prove the resident rule.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #26
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
From Snopes:

"In short, while a number of confused commenters flooded HUD's proposal page based on inaccurate rumors, the proposed rules were seen as a net positive by tiny home experts, RV enthusiasts, RV trade groups, and anyone deeply involved with full-time RVing or tiny house living. A handful of blogs broadly misinterpreted the proposed rule changes as HUD "outlawing" tiny homes, despite the fact HUD doesn't possess the authority to pass such laws. The proposed rule rumored to be a "tiny house ban" was in fact simply a clarification of classifications for RVs and similar dwellings and in no way banned or criminalized tiny home ownership or building."

If anyone on God's green earth needs 'big bad government' oversight, it is the RV industry! I have yet to see an RV that comes anywhere close to meeting residential codes. So although an RV manufacturer can advertise all they want to, that their product is suitable for full time living, they do not, nor do the RV makers want them to, meet residential code. They are not 'houses'! This new law would keep them from having to build to residential code.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:14 AM   #27
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Some are built "four-season" usable, but they are not warrantied for "full-time" living. If they were to warranty them for full-time, they would be responsible for putting you up in a hotel if your rig was in the shop for warranty work. They know people live in these things and are okay with it, just don't expect them to pay rent for you when it takes weeks or months to do repairs.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The manufacturer or dealer telling you these are rated for "full time living" goes right along with the .It will pull it fine " statement.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #29
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The manufacturers association is supporting this regulation because it is a plus for full time RVing. The rumors are just that. Folks starting stuff just to watch it fly.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote