Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Non Commercial Class A California!

I decided to bite the bullet and get my "non commercial class A license". My research has determined that Ca DMV, will require medical form ( Passed but just barely) signed by my doctor. I test again on standard DMV drivers test and the enforcement 41 RV test. Both of last two tests I have passed before, but time limits may require another retake. Then I must take another written test and will be required to take a driving and knowledge tests. I can't get DMV to be specific. I assume test will highlight me knowing my truck, hitch and trailer setup. Last the DMV tester told me they make me Park My truck and trailer in a back-in and or parallel spot?

Any MOC been through the non commercial proceedures?

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:48 AM   #2
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Just a thought, but if you are going to be required to do an actual road test, including backing, I doubt it would include any type of parallel maneuvers. Maybe backing into a space between two other rigs (or cones)?
Old 03-07-2015, 02:18 AM   #3
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I'm in the process of doing my Non-Com class A. The medical is self signed, Dr. signature is only required for Commercial Class A. The written test was silly easy. From what I understand the driving test is 3 parts. First part is inspection know how to identify certain parts on the TV and RV plus do a full pre trip inspection. I believe these are the same requirements as the Com Class A. Second part is a skills test. While the com class A can choose from 3 different skills the non com is the Alley Dock test (backing into a spot). Part three is a road test that should cover both city street and freeway.

The worst part of the whole gig and what has me stalled is the requirement to have a Class A driver accompany me to the driving test location (plus finding a day off has been impossible for the last two months). I just plain don't know any commercial drivers that still have a valid class A. They've moved onto other work and back to a Class C. I'll probably just post a one day want ad on CraigsList when I do get a day off.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #4
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I would think all states NON Commercial would be the same. I have a Texas Non CDL Class A.

I drove the truck and trailer to the DMV and parked in the spots for big trucks. Went inside, showed my Texas Class C. Took a 20 question test. A eye test. Wait.

A test guy and I go to the truck. He checks for proof of insurance, current registration. Tells me we are going on a short road test and it is basically to let him see I can handle the truck and trailer.

A drive on city streets, get on and off a expressway and back to the DMV. Asks if I can parallel park. Yes. OK park over by this curb. OK. Done.

No medical test, no asking how did your truck get here? Maybe CA is different.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
If you know a friend that has a smaller trailer use that for your driving test. there is nothing stating that you have to use the big trailer for the test.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

I would think all states NON Commercial would be the same. I have a Texas Non CDL Class A.

I drove the truck and trailer to the DMV and parked in the spots for big trucks. Went inside, showed my Texas Class C. Took a 20 question test. A eye test. Wait.

A test guy and I go to the truck. He checks for proof of insurance, current registration. Tells me we are going on a short road test and it is basically to let him see I can handle the truck and trailer.

A drive on city streets, get on and off a expressway and back to the DMV. Asks if I can parallel park. Yes. OK park over by this curb. OK. Done.

No medical test, no asking how did your truck get here? Maybe CA is different.
Jim,

When and where did you take test? We are presently in Livingston and studying to take written and driving class a tests early next week?

Any helpful hints on actual route he took you on? Did he make you do a right turn in town? Any hints on written test?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
FWIW in CA make sure you give yourself plenty of time at the DMV for the written. It took over an hour for the staff to find the correct written test. Nobody takes the test so they don't have it handy. There was only one guy in the office that had a clue and this was a very large office in Costa Mesa. He finally found the test in a binder in a cabinet. They were all polite and apologetic just took forever! Non Commercial Class A - Not the firefighter one and no air brakes. They had a problem with both of those issues as well.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Thank you David and others. I did not know I need another driver? Good to know. As far as borrowing smaller rig, I am so use to mine and feel comfortable with the Montana. I use to take mine to town and drive everywhere. Figured it was easier to lean in my home town. I have couple professional drivers I can take. I think I might go to another DMV office. The tester in Redding is known for being a real jerk. Had run in with him when I brought my fiver in from Texas, where I bought it. Gave me attitude so I walked in the DMV office, came out with his boss in tow. He was in a bit of trouble! He Probally will not forget that day! Lol.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #9
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157

[/quote]

Jim,

When and where did you take test? We are presently in Livingston and studying to take written and driving class a tests early next week?

Any helpful hints on actual route he took you on? Did he make you do a right turn in town? Any hints on written test?
[/quote]

Les, Was back in 2004 if memory is right and I took the test in Sherman, Tx. There is/was? a study guide for a Non CDL? Questions were in the back of the book. Answers were in the book. Stuff like reflectors, common sense stuff. The DMV should have a book they can give you for a study guide. If the DMV is still on the north side of Livingston, seems like their parking lot is too small for a large vehicle if I remember right???

The driving test was just get to the expressway with out hitting anything,(yes a right turn) get on one exit, get off at the next and back to DMV office. The parking thing, I really think he was just messing with me, but I did back into a parking space.

When we became Texans back in 2000 we did everything in Livingston and got a Class C originally.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
Old 03-08-2015, 04:46 AM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Artemus where are you located from Merced Ca. I could help out if I can get there. Another idea about having somebody drive your rig there is just tell them a friend dropped it off.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Mark, Great Sig pic, where is that? Jim
Old 03-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Mark thank you, but we are about 225 miles north. I got couple drivers who will accompany me. I am not sure that my Monty and Truck are over the weight limits requiring a Class A license. I have the endorsement 41 allowing me to tow up to 15,000 RV. Unless they put it on scales, not sure how they would know the total weight. I have my CA numbers and necessary permit for the F450. Therefore, I think I am legal or real close right now. The next fiver we buy however, will put us over on weight limits.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Mike,
It's the gvwr sticker on the Montana that they reference. Over 15,000 you need the commercial class a. It doesn't matter what the actual weight is, just the gvwr.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ken I did not know that! Thank you. I been illegal all along. I just always concentrate on the truck and not the RV! Thanks again!