Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
LP gas flow

A few days ago the temp hit 26 degrees around 4am and remained at that temp until around 8am. The furnace was running fine at 4am; however, about 8am noticed that the heat coming out of the vents was not very warm. Checked the LP gauge and the red indicator was showing...did not think the tank could be empty since I had just flipped that tank on the day before. Also, it was plain from the moisture buildup on the tank that it was more than 3/4 full. I turned the tank off, disconnected it, and removed it and shook it (the latter was done just to confirm there was gas in the tank). When I put the tank back in and connected it, all was well again. Do these tanks freeze???

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Propane shouldn't freeze until about -300 degrees fahrenheit. However if you have water moisture in the line or valve, that could have froze and restricted flow.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2, I would disconnect and blow that line out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If it is not water my other thought is the excessive leak valve stuck in the tank and you corrected it when you shook the bottle.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Hey Michael! It could also be the regulator. I was having trouble with the big one on our rig. When one ran out and I switched over to the other side, it would not work, even though it had just been filled. I had to move it to the side that had emtied and it ran fine. I found that wit a little wiggling of the switch it would come on some of the time. I figured the valve in the switch over was worn. Lazy Days is replacing it along with a bent axle from the western roads. Look forward to seeing ya'll when you get back down.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
There is a safety valve built into the hose that connects to the bottle, if a large amount of propane try's to pass the valve closes, you may have a bad hose, if it does it again, try and see if the stove burner stays lit, we had the same issue when out generator would run with another gas appliance

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

A few days ago the temp hit 26 degrees around 4am and remained at that temp until around 8am. The furnace was running fine at 4am; however, about 8am noticed that the heat coming out of the vents was not very warm. Checked the LP gauge and the red indicator was showing...did not think the tank could be empty since I had just flipped that tank on the day before. Also, it was plain from the moisture buildup on the tank that it was more than 3/4 full. I turned the tank off, disconnected it, and removed it and shook it (the latter was done just to confirm there was gas in the tank). When I put the tank back in and connected it, all was well again. Do these tanks freeze???
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Hey Michael! It could also be the regulator. I was having trouble with the big one on our rig. When one ran out and I switched over to the other side, it would not work, even though it had just been filled. I had to move it to the side that had emtied and it ran fine. I found that wit a little wiggling of the switch it would come on some of the time. I figured the valve in the switch over was worn. Lazy Days is replacing it along with a bent axle from the western roads. Look forward to seeing ya'll when you get back down.
We should be back "home" in mid-November...hope to connect soon thereafter...take care.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Thanks for your ideas...so far, no more issues. Hope it stays that way...no heat at 26 degrees is not fun!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Well, one other cure for that is come on home...it isn't anywhere near 26 degrees here! See ya in November.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote