Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Washing machine smelly?

The water saving front loaders seem to have one downside, stinky, and sometimes mold. Sue just made ours smell good again. She ran two loads of bleach-water and added baking soda.
1 cup of baking soda and one cup of bleach in the water and filled up the bleach dispenser. Then a water selection of HOT.
Cold water washes and HE soap contribute to the build up of the odor.
Here is an article I scammed off the Internet Maytag site:

What Causes Mold, Mildew or Unpleasant Odors?
Because of the low water level, wash residue such as grime, dirt and even skin flakes, along with water softeners and detergents do not always fully drain out of a front-loading washer. Using cold water for most loads can also add to the problem. Residue can build up in the rubber door gasket, soap/softener dispenser or other parts of the washer and over time, mold can begin to form or the washer can take on a smelly disposition.
Tips for Preventing Mold & Smelly Problems:
Always leave the door and dispenser unit slightly ajar after the laundry is done. Front-load washers and the detergent/softener dispenser drawer must dry out.
Never leave a wet wash-load in the washer overnight; remove it when the washing cycle is complete and leave the door open.
After a load is done, always rotate the drum with your hand to see and remove all items. Some could be sticking to top or sides of the washer drum.
Use softener sheets in the dryer instead of liquid softeners in the washer.
Liquid detergents may leave less residue than powdered formulas which may not dissolve properly.
Use less than the recommended detergent level for your load. Too much detergent can cause a residue build up. Experiment until you find a minimum measurement that delivers a clean wash. This is also a money saver.
Occasionally wash some loads such as whites, linen and towels in warm or hot water to help flush out wash residue.
Always clean your washer as per your product manual. High efficiency front-load models have a cleaning cycle and it's imperative that you periodically run this cycle as directed.
Check the gasket just inside the door opening and remove any visible debris. You can also wipe it to speed the drying process.
Always use HE detergents with high efficiency front-load washers. Specially marked HE laundry detergent is low sudsing and is recommended for these low-water washers.
If You Already Have a Front-Load Washer Mold/Smell Issue:
If your front-load washer is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer for repair or replacement. You may need to take a firm stand with your dealer or manufacturer to ensure they remedy this problem.
If your warranty period has expired, your first line of attack is to try and clean the washer to remove any offending mold. Some consumers have had good results with products such as Affresh® which is designed to clean high-efficiency washers. However, some have had no success with such products.
If the gasket appears to contain mold, replacing it may solve the issue.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Hey Buddy, you really need to find meaningful employment or a hobby. The Ozz is down to giving smelly wash machine advice. Say it ain't so Jim.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We have a front loader in the stick house. One important piece of advise is to leave the door to washer open after use. We had the smell when we first moved here. Found out they need to be aired. Since I do a white wash every week using clorox and hot water, and I always leave washer door open (Have a laundry room, so this helps), I no longer have this problem. Since that may not be practical in your small space, maybe you could leave it open at night while sleeping on days of use, or just leaving it ajar may help.

We have a Slendide Combo in 5er and the instructions say to leave door ajar after doing wash only. Not necessary when going from wash cycle to dry cycle.

I know that was mentioned in the article, but after initially running bleach through it and cleaning it, that is all I have had to do since then.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Hey Buddy, you really need to find meaningful employment or a hobby. The Ozz is down to giving smelly wash machine advice. Say it ain't so Jim.
Mike
Ha! Wait until I post my Chicken Pot Pie recipe...
Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz-- I don't know if the units in the Monte have the same thing as our front loader here in the stick but if you take off the front panel you will see a small tube type catch basin. We started to have the smell also and I had to take the panel off and check out the catch basin. It normally has several coins and some lint or paper fiber in it which slows or holds some of the water being extracted from the washer. I normallly have to hold something under the basin to catch water that is still in the basin when I twist the cap off. As soon as I get it emptied the smell goes away and no problems. We also do as TheCoachPotatoes and leave our door open after we wash a load for it to air out and dry inside the tub.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good tip Rondo, I will check that. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There is a product on the market called something like "Washing Machine Cleaner". Dianna bought some, but hasn't used it to date. Probably no better than your wife's recipe.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Mike
Ha! Wait until I post my Chicken Pot Pie recipe...
Ha.........Just as I read this I'm sticking a BEEF pot pie in the oven. Marie Calender is the one you have to outdo Ozz......lol
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote