Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I will never complain about Texas roads again?????

Well we made the trip to Pa. Trailer held up fine but we did lose 2 hubcaps and the valve on the end of my sewer line. Once we hit Ky and then thru Oh. and Pa. the roads are terrible. Couple times felt like I hit a curb at 60 mph. Gonna check the under carriage today to make sure it's fine. I use to think Texas's roads were bad,,no no no. Truck did fine just don't like the fuel mileage. Got an average of 9.5 mpg. On the flats it was 10 in the hills of Ky and Pa, it went to 9.1. I was very surprised to see it stayed in the 9 mpg range in all the hills. I kept it in 5th gear, unless it was really flat out. Seems it got better mileage there and even on some of the steeper hills it did not shift out of 5th and pulled them fine. Now that is figured using the idiot gauge. It may be actually a little better since I do have over size tires on which probably throws that off a little. According to my wallet it did just about as good as the old truck. Any one on the fence with an older truck looking at newer trucks get it. This new truck is light years ahead of my old one in comfort and performance.... Now I just got to remember to pull off my hubcaps when I come up north lol lol lol

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Been there and done that. Back when we still had a sewer boom I had someone pull up next to me on the interstate in Illinois pointing to the rear of the Monty. I was puzzled because the tire monitor said I was fine. Looked in the mirror the right way and saw that the cap had come off the boom and the stinky slinky was trailing along next to the rig. Now that there's little or no money to fix the roads, the northern states that have a lot of freeze and thaw can't possibly keep up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I was contemplating a similar topic. You beat us to it. The excuse you will hear is that the unusually cold winter in the northeast has taken its toll on the highways. I would agree with that to a degree. I think all highway maintenance has suffered over the past few years and not just the northeast. We ran several teeth chattering roads in Florida over the past winter. We think the road conditions seem to be worse on interstates compared to state or US highways, although they are far from being perfect. Being full timers we can spare extra time to travel. We avoid the interstates as much as possible.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
It just isn't northern states that have let their roads go, even though Illinois could be the worse among all the states. California is right up there with some of the worse roads around. I think it is a valid point that about everyone is letting them go without repairing.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are nasty road in every state which is why IMO the OEM suspension systems are not adequate for high end users. We had the Mor Ryde Is in the 06 3400 and hopefully we can have it in the 13 3402
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I can vouch for the roads in Mass. being horrible. The winters definitely take their toll, but throwing tar down to fill the worst potholes is what suffices for "fixing" the problems. On the town level, it's worse. All the money is appropriated to other things. In my town, our money is going to litigation as the councilmen are busy suing each other over petty differences. It's sickening, and as an avid cyclist, I can tell you some of these roads will loosen your teeth. Year after year, it gets worse.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Then, you better not drive thru Arkansas . . .
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I left Pa. over 35 years ago. At that time, they inacted a "Penny for the Pothole" fuel tax. Must of found other uses for the revenue.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I really don't want anyone to think this is political, but the real issue is that we've a very old and very over used highway and bridge infrastructure. I live near DC and it's not that bad around here - save for the worst traffic anywhere in the US. Funding for most US highways and the Interstate system comes from Capital hill, and it's not being paid attention to. What I'm saying has nothing to do with political lines. It's just the fact of highway and bridge life.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

I really don't want anyone to think this is political, but the real issue is that we've a very old and very over used highway and bridge infrastructure. I live near DC and it's not that bad around here - save for the worst traffic anywhere in the US. Funding for most US highways and the Interstate system comes from Capital hill, and it's not being paid attention to. What I'm saying has nothing to do with political lines. It's just the fact of highway and bridge life.
Is anyone surprised the roads around DC are good? I know I'm not!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

You are right on. America's infrastructure is in terrible shape and has not kept up with the population expansion. It's not just roads either. Water, sewage systems and electrical grids are all in various states of disrepair.

Getting back on topic, Michigan's roads have been sadly neglected for years, mostly due to the state's poor financial state, which was caused by the real estate bubble bursting. This past winter set records for both cold temps and snow, and was just the icing (pun not intended) on the cake. We are either going to have to bite the bullet and come up with funding for the roads, or everyone buy four wheel drives.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Funny I complain about the exact opposite thing in my neck of the woods. There are cities around here that have (and continue to) spent millions on flowers, plants and center median beautification alone!
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
But that's the other thing, I been making this drive for the past 35 years at least once a year if not twice. This is one of the worst trips yet for construction and delays, especially in Arkansas and Tn.....but all the states still had their share of construction, just in the wrong places lol lol. Like I said the trailer handled it well and I just have LT tires and EZ Flex suspension. Just the tires took most of the jolts where I lost my hubcaps. The inside faired very well with not much being out of place....and that is a rear kitchen.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I'm on a trip to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI right now and I will never complain about Arkansas roads again
The other day I was on a road with a stated speed limit of 80 kmh (about 50 mph). I could only go between 25 and 30 mph while swerving all over the road, dodging pot holes. Then, all of a sudden, there was a sign telling me that the road was going to be rough for the next 8 kmh. I guess that sign meant I couldn't dodge the potholes anymore. There was one time that I had the 4-way flashers on because I was moving so slowly.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Boy the roads across Canada from port Huron thru New Brunswick and Nova Scotia must have changed since 2011. Those were for the most part really good roads. Sorry to hear they are so bad now.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #16
ileyld
Established Member

M.O.C. #9071
Political comment removed.

CRAFT-Guy
ileyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have always felt Texas had really good roads compared to many other states. Some have had trouble areas. But generally they are kept in good maintanance, and often completely rebuilt, not too long after they begin to deteriorate.

We have hunted near Fredericksburg for the last 46 years. And have driven I-35 from the Dallas area to the Georgetown area several times each year. And I do not remember a single year that there was not construction somewhere along that strip. But the result is that there were very few stretches in that 170 miles or so that ever got really bad before being repaired or rebuilt. And the major rebuild going on now in various I-35 areas between Salado and Dallas will have it as one of the best highways possible in a couple years. Highways in a lot of states deteriorate and seem to get temporarily patched rather than permanently repaired.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
MrRobinGrimes
Established Member

M.O.C. #14034
We just got back from a trip through NM up to Colorado. There was one 45 mile stretch out of Roswell that was more patch than road.
MrRobinGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
True our hwys in Texas are great, just after awhile I guess those little cracks seem to be really bad. Just don't know how good our hwys are until you get some place like here around Louisville Ky where I have hit some really rough stretchs of hwy...
Old 06-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #20
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Check my avatar pic. Says a lot a bout road conditions.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote