Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Bonaventure
Established Member

M.O.C. #11228
Norcold 120X 12 cu foot frig freezer

Just happened last 2 weeks. Refrig stopped cooling. Emptied the freezer and thawed it although it really didn't have much ice on the freezer back walls. Frozen food began getting soft and frig stuff feltv a little warmer than normal. Re-started the frig on AC and it got cold again. Now 5 days later the food in the freezer is thawing again and it appears the frig is not getting cold again. We are in Florida and the weather has gone from 85 in the day to 40s at night. I am wondering if there is a limit switch that is not working. It is under warranty until May.

Any thoughts or experience. Until the past 8 days it has worked fine for the first 10 months and it has been on all that time. It doesn't seem to be cooling on LP either. Last week when it quit I put it on LP and it began cooling again. Then switched to 12V and it picked up there too. But today it isn't working on either. Almost seems like the main control board is bad.

Rick

Bonaventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ours failed on our maiden voyage the weekend when we had JUST started on a week long trip and I had the unit running for a week to test it out before we left and we had no problems at that time. We were camping at about 7,500 ft when it failed about 1/2 day after it was started. We rushed to a town nearby and bought an icemaker and turned the fridge into a cooler. That icemaker was making ice 24/7 but we were able to save the contents for the remainder of the week and we were lucky we didn't have too much frozen stuff, whew!

When we left we drove straight back to the dealer/service for them to fix it under warranty. It was bad because we didn't push hard enough and with all the foul ups it took them over 7 weeks to fix it. I don't recall what they fixed but it might have been the main board since it failed in AC or 12v/propane modes.

Your problem sounds bad enough not to mess around too much. Something serious is definitely wrong. Let us know what you find.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In my experience with these things at the store, they don't heal themselves. If it's under warranty, call Norcold and make them fix it. When we pay the $ for the unit, warranty service is figured as a part of the cost. Not everyone will need it, but those who do shouldn't feel reluctant to call them till it's fixed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Look for foreign material in heat conductor, bug, spider webb, wasp nest, or trash in roof vent. Don't know how long you have been parked , but off level can cause it. Moving it about some with in gas operation can help. Some of the simple checks. If it has a wire with a spade type of connector on the cooling fins in the fridge , make sure it has not been accidentally moved or knocked off. Good Luck, Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
Bonaventure
Established Member

M.O.C. #11228
Thanks to all. I went on the net after posting and googled the issue. One guy said to reset the frig by pushing and holding the on/off button for 3-5 seconds not knowing if you push it when the frig is on or off. So, I did both. The unit started working normal with AC and is cold this morning. I am however going to talk to Norcold. Also, we will have it checked out at the end of the month if not sooner. We will be taking the Montana back to the dealer for warranty stuff.Thanks again. I am not impressed with Norcold people. They say they can't talk to me due to liability issues. What the heck kind of help is that. They want you to go to a approved dealer and then the dealer doesn't want to waste time with you. You pay for the dealer to come to you. Norcold only pays for parts and labor. If I had it to do over, I would put my own frig in and it would not be a Norcold! Rick
Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
Bonaventure
Established Member

M.O.C. #11228
Thanks for the replys. After posting here I went to google and found a comment that I needed to push the on/off button and hold it for 3-5 seconds to re-set the frig. I tried it from both the on and off position and the frig started working. This morning it is working and cold. Norcold is of no help. They won't let the tech talk to me because they may be liable for something. Well they are liable for a defective frig and should at least be willing to tell me what they think the issue is. They tell us to call the closest qualified dealer and then we pay if they have to come to the trailer. Norcold will only pay for parts and labor. I would not recommend Norcold to anyone.

Thanks to all of you again

Rick Brewer
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Bonaventure
Established Member

M.O.C. #11228
Oops, didn't think the first message went through. Sorry for the dup.

Rick
Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Had a recall on our four door Norcold, for installation of a heat sensor. safety issue. Tried 3 different NORCOLD dealers in two states; all blew me off. Finally Camping World in Statesville NC took care of it in one day, and it took 10 minutes to install. Agree, Norcold is not customer friendly.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You might try the thermistor - it is the thing attached to the fins at the top of the refer portion of the refrigerator. Ours went bad and for about $12 I was able to replace it and all was good again.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
Bonaventure
Established Member

M.O.C. #11228
Mike, thanks. The guy I am working with at Coastal RV in Cocoa says he thinks it sounds like a thermister. I am still watching it.

Rick