Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Leaf Spring Bolts

After all this talk about wheels coming off, axels, etc. hubby decided to crawl under and check it out. Lo & Behold wheels are still on, BUT one of the bolts holding the leaf spring (closest to the door) is not all the way through, infact it looks like only 3 threads are holding it, plus the U bracket is not straight. The other three are fine. They protrude at least 1/4 inch. We have an appointment w/dealer to get it fixed, but sure do hate to haul it the 87 miles to Eau Claire. Sure do hope nothing happens. We are going to leave it for one week. The Montana has been in our side yard since we brought it home June 21st so can't say it has had hard use.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thats incredible on such a new unit. I check my wheel well area constantly, especially when I am on the road. I usually just do the work myself. I trust myself more that a dealer.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:34 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
What a bummer... send "the boss" back undeneath and have him look for two things.

1. Any bulgeing of the axel between the two U bolts.
2. Any tilting of the wheel. You can use a level on the tire.

That is hold the level verticle and view the small glass at the end. It's hard to see but if the castor/camber is out it should be different then the other wheels. Remembe a tire with load on it bulges at the bottom. You nee to put the level on the rim, or use a wooden block on the rim to stand the level off a few inches if it's to long.

Let us know how you make out.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:34 AM   #4
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
The suspension components do not provide grease fitting so it isn't possible to grease these wear points. (Which seems like a bummer!) But would it help to oil them with something like 30W motor oil?

I another thread, someone stated that the suspension has plastic bushings. (Although I can't see any.) And was wondering if oil might be detrimental to the plastic?

Any ideas?

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I'm gonna get some photos out Craig. You can't see the bushing until you pull the bolts.

By the way... to pull the bolts the trailer MUST be comletely supported on jack stands or blocks!!!
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:55 AM   #6
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
DrivesBGM
Petroleum pruducts are death on plastic. I wouldn't use oil. You might look at something like drylube, a silicon based lubricant
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:24 AM   #7
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Thanks BigBlue! That's what I thought! Guess I will just let them continue to rust and wear and check occassionally to make suer they aren't ready to disintegrate!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote