Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Front Jack Collapse

While taking the fiver off the truck in Rupert, ID the right front jack collapsed. Fortunately, my husband was able to get it back on the truck and repaired the bolt that had sheared off. Has anyone had this happen??

This is about the last straw with the string of problems with this unit but now that it is almost (hopefully this week)finished all repairs and warranty we hate to think about the upgrade to a larger unit we had planned. We had a brake go in Las Vegas after Al-Ko did them in Sept - Al-Ko is reimbursing us for the cost. Keystone has been good about stepping up to the plate but think it is our dealer that is slow on wanting to do the work - there have been problems or maybe the commuication between dealer and Keystone that parts have taken so long. Don't want to take it in on Wed if parts aren't there - had to fight to get our unit back in May (they had it for 3 days and didn't do a thing) before that they had it for 3 months.

Rambling tonight - senior moments!

Safe travels.

ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
ragdoll,
Wow! I'll bet that was exciting! Apparently no one got hurt and was there any damage to the truck and or trailer?

Which bolt was it that broke? Those legs have had me worried since we got the trailer. No particular reason..... I just don't see how all that weight is held up by those two little pins!

We've had no trouble with the legs and I've not read about any other folks having such a problem.

Sorry to hear of yet another problem you folks have had. The dealer can sure make things better or worse that's for sure. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I am glad that all is well now. Dealers can make or brake a customer. Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
The right leg of our landing gear did that and we were lucky too. It was on the hitch and Dick put a pin through it with a bungee. We got home and ordered a new set that is very much like the ones they are now putting on the Montana's. So far so good and we really love the way the new ones work. No more of that little loop coming out of the pin, etc. I will try and get a picture of it and post it later. We just got back in this evening and I should be hitting the hay.

Oh yea, when we ordered it, we had to order a set. We changed both to the new ones and keep the good old one in the tool box, just in case.

Glad to hear Keystone has stepped up to the plate. You might want to let them know about your dealer's untimely repairs. I'm guessing they won't be happy about it and they need to know when the dealers aren't living up to reasonable expectations.

Without a doubt don't take her up to the dealer without knowing they have the parts.

All the best on the repairs!

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:09 AM   #5
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
[quote]Originally posted by ragdoll

While taking the fiver off the truck in Rupert, ID the right front jack collapsed. Fortunately, my husband was able to get it back on the truck and repaired the bolt that had sheared off. Has anyone had this happen??
[Quote]

I have wondered about those little pins also, being a mechanical engineer myself. Much weight supported by very small pin cross section. I trusted that some mechanical engineer had figured out the metal properties and all was well. What year model Montana do you have? Please do post pictures of your solution.
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
The bolt that sheared was in that tube that connects both jacks to the motor, which by the way is attached rather poorly - Jack is figuring out a way to secure it better before that becomes a problem. Fortunately there was no damage to the truck or fiver but did make for some hair raising moments. He has bad knees so I usually lower them and pin them into place and was quite sure I had goofed but after opening the storage door saw the tube just laying there.

I don't think a complaint about the dealer to Keystone would make a difference - I am quite sure the dealer would like us out of their hair! I am not sure they would sell us another unit nor would I be inclined . Like most with problems I just keep nagging (Jack has given up he is so pissed) until they are done or they give up, finally ordering the long over due parts or they wear you down, you give up and take care of it yourself. Alot of the complaints or issues have been over a year getting taken care of - hopefully this week (fingers crossed). I have read were others have had as many or close with some more serious and then some that have had little to no trouble.

Keystone needs to improve quality control, which I am guessing they know. Unfortunately, lemon laws don't apply to trailers or they would be replacing some - maybe then things would change.

Safe travels.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:59 AM   #7
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Me too, right front jack failed. Was replaced on warranty. I think the screw was stripped in mine.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:27 AM   #8
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Ah dealers... they can either be horrible or awesome. Like you we have a horrible one and will never go back there for anything again!!!! Good luck to you and don't let the dealer off the hook. If you can find a new dealer and maybe things will go better for you.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ragdoll

This is about the last straw with the string of problems with this unit but now that it is almost (hopefully this week)finished all repairs and warranty we hate to think about the upgrade to a larger unit we had planned. We had a brake go in Las Vegas after Al-Ko did them in Sept - Al-Ko is reimbursing us for the cost. Keystone has been good about stepping up to the plate but think it is our dealer that is slow on wanting to do the work - there have been problems or maybe the commuication between dealer and Keystone that parts have taken so long. Don't want to take it in on Wed if parts aren't there - had to fight to get our unit back in May (they had it for 3 days and didn't do a thing) before that they had it for 3 months.

Rambling tonight - senior moments!

Safe travels.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 AM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Ragdoll,

I am not clear on exactly what bolt gave you the problem. Can you see it or is it hidden?

The main problem I have is the motor keeps loosening up and I am constantly retightening the motor bolts. The only other bolts I see are the ones physically holding the jacks main tube. Mine has two bolts on each side that goes through steel clamps. the main tubes are held in place by bolts in the welded clamps.

If you can clarify I would appreciate it.

just re-checked mine. If my bolt clamps are good the only my jacks can colapse is if the pins fail. Even if the motor falls out. Must be a big time difference in designs. Next new montana I see I will check it out.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:04 PM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
lightningjack11,

Couldn't get on the website last night but finally read your message. I will ask Jack or go look when it quits raining here - ah yes, rain in NM so wonderful!! Alls I know is it connects the tube that connects the motor to the right jack. So far the pins below are doing well. I will post again with hopefully more clarity.

Melissa and Mike S - not letting the dealer off the hook that is for sure. I called today to make sure that they had the parts that were suppose to arrive there no later than Friday of last week - took most of the day for them to locate 2 of the 3 parts, grrrrr! We will take it in in the morning to have it back by Friday (one can only hope). Unfortunately, there aren't other Montana dealers in the state that we can find and other Keystone dealers won't touch it due to the fact that we bought it in town but even with the aggravation we wouldn't transport it for the last of service. Now we will take care of all the stuff ourselves since we are now out of warranty for minor things, except for the existing things left over. So goes the saga

Safe travels.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:38 PM   #11
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Additional info - it was the screw that attaches the tube from the motor to the gear that extends and retracks the jacks that sheared off. Due to having the slide shear a bolt off we fortunately had a 10 hard bolt to replace the sheared bolt.

Safe travels.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #12
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thanks ragdoll, I looked again and again. I guess that mine works different but as I look at it more, if the gear for any reason did not have something to hold it from turning the ajustment part would colapse but the jack would not fall all the way. So I may potentially have the same problem.

I will take some pics tomorrow of everything and then give it a thorough inspection.

Thanks for sharing ragdoll. Might save someone from having the same problem.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #13
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
lighningjack11 - Glad to share the info and hope it helps everyone to check the screws at the end of the tube that connects to the right jack. Fortunately the pin was secure on the outside of the jack preventing a total collapse - I dread to think of both giving out. Jack is very handy with repairs so keeps us from having to call someone out for repairs. Makes one nervous everytime we disconnected after that but so far so good. I guess you know the tube I mean from the motor to the right casing for the jack in the front compartment. We have the same model but you know these designers like to change things .

Safe travels.