Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North America MOC / Western Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
BruceH

M.O.C. #9337
Quartzsite Side Trip - Cibola Wildlife Refuge

Here is what looks like a good side trip that may interest some of you Circle residents while waiting for the RV Show to begin this weekend.

If you are interested in wildlife, especially birds, then consider doing a side trip to the Cibola National Wildlife Refuge about 53 driving miles to the southwest, along the Arizona side of the Colorado River. It is the wintering area for many Canada and Snow Geese and also Sandhill Cranes. Plus there are many other birds and wildlife to see.

To get there, take I-10 west just past Blythe, then take CA highway 78 south for about 7 miles. At that point, highway 78 will turn to the right, but you will want to continue due south on Neighbors Blvd. Continue south on Neighbors Blvd for 9 miles, across the Colorado River and back into AZ. When reaching the small community of Cibola, turn right on Cibola Road and head mostly south for one mile. The turnoff to the Visitor Center will be to on your right.

Visitor Center GPS:
N 33.36344 degrees
W 114.66934 degrees

Or
N 33 degree, 21.806 minutes
W 114 degrees, 40.161 minutes

Or
N 33 degrees, 21 minutes, 48.4 seconds
W 114 degrees, 40 minutes, 09.6 seconds

A couple of the self guided tours are a nature walk on the north edge and a 3 mile loop drive called the Canada Goose Loop. Here is a good web site describing the Refuge and places to go .....

http://www.southwestbirders.com/guide_yuma_cibola.htm

The Az Game and Fish has posted an 8 minute 45 second video on YouTube ....

Be aware there was a big fire of about 5,000 acres a year or so ago, so that may have some impact on what you can see and where you can go. Either way, it should be interesting to see the recovery efforts.

You may want to combine this with a grocery shopping trip to Blythe and a propane stop at the Flying J in Ehrenberg. The J web site is currently showing $2.79-9 per gallon for propane in Ehenberg. I suspect propane may be running a little low in the Circle after the last couple of freezing nights!

I will not be arriving in Quartzsite until the end of next week and will be attending the last few days of Quartzfest south of town. However, I definitely intend to do a trip to the Refuge. I do hope to make a Circle day trip with my Brother on Friday to see the new Montanas.

If you go, do not forget to take your binoculars and camera, and post back on how things went!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks for that info BruceH. Always looking for something different, gonna share this with CountryGuy. Not sure we will make it, but, always nice to have a recommendation!
Closed Thread