Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2004, 06:40 AM   #1
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Roof Maintenance

What's the correct product to use for resealing small gaps in the existing sealant around skylight, vent, etc. flanges on the roof. I have a tube of Dicor Lap Sealant, but not sure if it's the right "stuff". Our unit is 5 years old, has been used very little and is always under cover when not in use. Guess I've been lucky to date as this is the first sign of needing attention.

Thanks,
Don

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I have a tube that fits in a caulking gun of Alpha brand self leveling sealant. My father got it for me from Fleetwood when he was there getting service done at the factory.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:45 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Searchers

What's the correct product to use for resealing small gaps in the existing sealant around skylight, vent, etc. flanges on the roof. I have a tube of Dicor Lap Sealant, but not sure if it's the right "stuff". Our unit is 5 years old, has been used very little and is always under cover when not in use. Guess I've been lucky to date as this is the first sign of needing attention.

Thanks,
Don

Dicor Lap Sealant is the product Keystone uses in the manufacturing and repair of their units. I know this because I asked when I went on one of their factory tours.

Al
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:56 AM   #4
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Yep, Dicor is the stuff per our dealer, I was also told that the roof should be inspected every six months and sealed around vents etc as needed. And as a rule, after the original one year warranty, (even though the roof material itself has a 20 year warrany I THINK) that resealing is not part of it. and I was also told that the resealing (caulking) process should be done a minimum of once a year.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:49 AM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Thanks to those of you who responded to my question about the proper sealant to use. I've checked the areas carefully a few times each year when I've cleaned it and seen no problems until now, and they're minor. Gives me something to do this weekend since our holiday camping plans changed at the last minute. Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote