Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Check your drawers!

The clip on one of our desk drawers directly behind the couch/table slide must have gotten weak. The drawer got caught while the slide was being opened. If you have any drawers that hide behind the slides it might be a good idea to check the latches on them to make certain they are holding. I wish I had checked ours and done something with it before now. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
I had a new drawer made and got it installed ok using the same front drawer board. I plan to work on the facial board to the slide tomorrow. It stripped the two lowest screws out and appears to be all the damage that was done to the slide.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill,
That is why my ears are tuned to the sounds of the slide moment, motor and cracking sounds. Caught a cabinet door with the edge of the slide but just a dent no breakage.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is how Helen does it. She turns off all slides but the main slide and she brings that one out first while watching carefully for any obstruction that may have got there during travel. She can then walk around and check for anything that might have come loose(we do velcro or baby lock all cabinets and drawers) Then the other slides paying close attention to the kitchen slide as a very small object under the slide can damage the floor. It may add a couple if mins to the slide out procedure but who is in a hurry and thus far it has worked for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I always do a walk through prior to opening the slides. Especially the large slide which closes in front of the fridge.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I agree with Bill and Donna. I do walkthroughs also, but they don't help with stuff you can't see because it is behind something. If something shifts or becomes loose where you can't see it, then be cautious at the first sign of an abnormal noise. Unfortunately, sometimes you can't avoid it.

I lost our desk chair this way. It was behind the French doors in our 3500RL where you can't see the desk until the slides are out and the doors opened. I was outside watching the slideouts (we were around lots of trees and other stuff). When my BIL operated the extend slide switch I could hear the cracking of the desk chair as it got caught on something while the living room slides extended. Now without the chair there, we put "Bob's" (the dog) crate and bed where he loves feeling like he is in a cave. When we do finally get a chair, "What about Bob"?

The newer 3500RL floorplan changed to sliding french door (so one can see in). I never told them what happened to us because I blamed myself for not checking that the chair was stored correctly. They must have gotten the word somehow.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I opened my slides when it was 6 mts old with one of the sink covers behind the kitchen slide "REALLY BAD DAY". they have been in my shop since then.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We have had drawers open to many times to count so now we velcro strap every door and drawer in the unit before moving, only takes a few minutes but we don't have nasty suprises anymore. The desk drawers have a habit of opening so to secure them I ordered footman loops to secure through. (http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Footman_Loop_p/mfl.htm) Also use them in other areas like the pot and pan drawer, etc.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Those slides really make a mess out of stock pots too! Flattens them real good.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote