Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Solution FOUND for Intrasigent Vinyl Molding Mold

Wow, finally after trying many different topical solutions over the past few years on my 05 to change now black vinyl molding (originally white, but tainted by mold)I recently applied several coats/passing over using a spray bottle of CLOROX OUTDOOR BLEACH. The next day I noticed my vinyl molding is now clear/completely or nearly completely white in some areas or mostly white with gray spots versus black. I will keep spraying on occasion to see if all mold residue can be eliminated and hope to seal the vinyl with Future Floor "polish"/wax as recommended by one RVer I know to fight back against recurrence (theoretically it may "seal" the vinyl pores).
I am so happy the grungy looking "Black" molding is now nearly gone and my Montana is looking good!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
will the bleach dry out the caulking or discolor the finish or decals?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think I saw at Camping World a replacement molding that is not supposed to discolor like ours do. But I can't remember the details or even whether it really is supposed to resist mildew or mold or whatever is doing the discoloring. Anybody know? What I saw was not real expensive.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

Wow, finally after trying many different topical solutions over the past few years on my 05 to change now black vinyl molding (originally white, but tainted by mold)I recently applied several coats/passing over using a spray bottle of CLOROX OUTDOOR BLEACH. The next day I noticed my vinyl molding is now clear/completely or nearly completely white in some areas or mostly white with gray spots versus black.
We found that lacquer thinner works the best for us. This was pointed out to us by Truck Builders of Marion, IA when they rebuilt the front end of our Montana. They cleaned up the molding in record time merely by wetting a rag with the thinner and pulling the molding through the rag. It does require you to remove the molding from the rig, but that isn't such a big deal.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I went another route and gave up on the battle to keep it white.
I ordered replacement molding from RV Surplus in black. Now, if it turns white I think I'll just give up!
Hopefully I'll get a chance to change it out over the weekend.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote