Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Front Stabilisers

I dont know where the topic is on this forum but I rember reading it about the front legs and lubercating them.

My broblem is this with mine. when I am extending them for a while I will hear the gear box make a slipping sound or jumping a gear, but it does not stop in its extention though.
Is it possable that the all thread could have dirt or sand when it reaches a sertain point on the extention and cause the slipping noise due to it be putting a strain on the lift.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have gotten the same sound if I over extend the landing gear. I just though it had come to the end so I stopped.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Here is a link to a post I made on greasing landing gears.

Here is another link I found.

Some short bullets on the topic:[list_to_fix][*]contact Doug Olson V.P. Engineering Venture Mfg. Co.Dayton, OH 45414
Ph: 937-233-8792 ext. 27 TF: 866-365-1957 ext. 27Fax: 937-233-8485 for accurate information[*]axle grease on top around gears some 90 gear lub down the worm gear or "all thread"[*] extend the legs all the way down to clear crud off the threads - I think 21 inches for pre-Z frame[*] If you hear clicking sounds it could be the clutch slipping but probably the 45 degree gears chipping stop immediately[*]Inspect gears each season[*]remove legs, clean and lubricate every other year[*]the switch contacts are rated at 20 Amps and the circuit is fused at 30 or 40 amps.[*] frequent fuse blowing look at replacing switch[*]NEVER RETRACT LEGS ALL THE WAY[*] Mark 1" below top point and stop raising there.[*]

If other have comments I can add to this list.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks John, thats the topic I could not find, I guess I'll have to bring the beast home and leave it conected to the TV while the legs get removed, when you ordered the parts from Lippert were they Jonny on the spot getting them out to you, and was it a kit they have on hand? I guess this will be a weelend project soon also did you do the same for the pasinger side leg and is that a differant kit number.

Thanks Don.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Don,
I did not use Lippert I went to Venture direct. They provide the legs to Lippert. Yes Venture was responsive to my order. UPS or FED EX delivery.
The answer to parts is multi threaded. [list_to_fix][*]Verify my statements with Venture.[*]The gear repair should work on both legs. (I think)[*]If you have to replace the screw post or screw post nut then it is leg specific[*]If you have to replace legs including the screw post they are different[*]If you pull both keep separate and marked or just do one at a time.[*]I would check the teeth on both legs to see if you need replacement gears.

This year I plan on doing a full cleaning on each leg. I will pull one and clean if no problems replace. Then do the other. That way I can order one time and be done.

You can put Jack stands under the frame just behind the legs if you need the truck. Make sure they are at least three ton each for safety. By keeping the nose high you can drop the legs down easier than playing contortionist getting them out the propane compartment.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Don,
I did not use Lippert I went to Venture direct. They provide the legs to Lippert. Yes Venture was responsive to my order. UPS or FED EX delivery.
The answer to parts is multi threaded. [list_to_fix][*]Verify my statements with Venture.[*]The gear repair should work on both legs. (I think)[*]If you have to replace the screw post or screw post nut then it is leg specific[*]If you have to replace legs including the screw post they are different[*]If you pull both keep separate and marked or just do one at a time.[*]I would check the teeth on both legs to see if you need replacement gears.

You can put Jack stands under the frame just behind the legs if you need the truck. Make sure they are at least three ton each for safety. By keeping the nose high you can drop the legs down easier than playing contortionist getting them out the propane compartment.

Well I ordered the kits for both legs and they do use a differant kit number for the passinger side leg. the part numbers are as follows from Venture for anybody interrested.

Street side leg kit number is # 999-00
Curb side leg kit number is # 999-01

cost is $50.00 per kit plus shipping.
Doug told me that all gears for there legs are the same, but I would check anyway to make sure.
I should get delivery on Thursday next week, then the fun begins.

Thanks John
Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Last time I checked and ordered,last fall, the kits were a lot cheaper at lippert then at venture for some crazy reason. Lippert has a web site you can order the kit there. If you need other parts you may have to get them from Venture. It made no sense to me that they ere cheaper from Lippert but they were at that time.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote