Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
who to believe

It's about the microwave, a Sylvania. I haven't liked the way this POC worked since new. Anyway, the last time i used it I noticed it was sparking from the screws under the turntable.
Told the dealer, he checked it out?????? and I hear nothing. Called him the other day and they said they were waiting on keystone. He suggested I call Keystone?????? so I did. I explained the situation the CS rep, she checked my "file" and said the dealer I'm using never contacted them. Called the dealer back and now he's going to fax a copy of the paperwork from Keystone. The bottom line here is, If the dealer remove the microwave and puts in a new one and keystone says there nothing wrong with the old one the dealer gets burned for the cost of the new one and labor. The dealer and Keystone both said the same thing. So now it's a peeing match and I get nothing. Any suggestions?

Swanny

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I'd expect the dealer to make good as its up to him to manage customer relations and at the same time to manage who supplies inventory that makes him a profit...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
With all the games played by the dealers, vendors, etc.... Maybe its time to contact RV Action Line. If you get and read Trailer Life magazine it appears that the folks of RV Action Line get results when they intervene for the consumer. Wouldn't hurt to try them. Most vendors, dealers, manufactures do not like the negative publicity being in an RV magazine so they quickly resolve the problem to the customers satisfaction. Good luck.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Install the one you have in the garbage can, bite the bullet, go to Sears and buy a new one!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

Install the one you have in the garbage can, bite the bullet, go to Sears and buy a new one!
That in a nutshell is why we keep getting crap from the RV manufacturers (not just Keystone). I say hold their feet to the fire, even if you buy one at Sears, make them replace the Sylvania. Then either keep it for a spare, sell it, give it away, or install it in the garbage can. Just make sure they meet their responsibility as far as the warranty goes.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
As I have said many times before. You bought your trailer in good faith from the DEALER and they will say anything to get a sale. For your hard earned money you should get good service from them and not lip service. Again I say when you bought your TV and something goes wrong with it under warranty you will not take it any where else but a factory dealership for repairs with no questions asked. Why should this not be the same? You paid the dealer for your trailer,not the factory,so you should expect the same service as your vehicle. Jumping thru hoops,or you call this guy or that company is NOT acceptable from any quality dealer or manufacturer. It is a shame that we have to write to a third party to get results. Not a good way to do business. There, I am now off my soapbox...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
The Dealer is your Broker and should be the negotitator to ensure you have a trouble free unit. On something like a microwave I would think the dealer would just change it and deal with Keystone. Why should you be in the middle of a "who's gonna pay for this" syndrome?? I relate this to a problem we had with a large new diesel front mount lawn mower ($25,000 unit); there were no questions asked; the Dealer brought us out a another new unit and said "don't worry about it, we'll deal with the manufacture". We as the customer will always go that extra mile for this dealer along with recommendations to other potential customers. Simply stated: "A Sale does not Stop at the Salesman"; you should always have the opportunity to meet the parts staff, the service staff and the General Manager or Owner, then that is a SALE. Sorry for going off topic but its a great joy to work with a reputable dealer that is always there For YOU!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

That in a nutshell is why we keep getting crap from the RV manufacturers (not just Keystone). I say hold their feet to the fire, even if you buy one at Sears, make them replace the Sylvania. Then either keep it for a spare, sell it, give it away, or install it in the garbage can. Just make sure they meet their responsibility as far as the warranty goes.

The manufacturers keep putting out crap because it's CHEAP! Mission tires anyone?

My Sylvania mic overheated, I called my dealer (Steve Casey in Denver) and they offered a replacement. I told them I would rather have a refund. That was ok'ed and I bought a mic at Sears that is much better than the Sylvania was. Cost was within about $10 of what the refund came to.

I did the same when the TV crapped out. It cost a few more bucks than the refund to buy the LCD tv that replaced the original CRT type tv.

Point is: I am happy with the replacements that I have because I deal with a decent dealer. Unfortunately it sounds like SWANNY has a real dips__t dealer.

Then it comes down to, how much is aggrevation worth.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
My point was that as long as we continue to cover for the manufacturers, they will keep with the crappy stuff. And I have been guilty too. It is usually much less aggravation to do it ourselves. But then on the other hand, I have never made a warranty covered repair to my truck, so why do so on the RV? I'm sure the dealers know they can wear us down. I was actually relieved when our Mountaineer passed the warranty period and I didn't have to deal with the dealer or Keystone any more.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I don't want to start a war but I think there is confusion as to where the problem lies. My experience with getting results from Keystone (through my dealer) along with many others on this forum who have had direct or indirect experience with them has been nothing short of positive. From what I can tell, it is the irresponsible dealers who cause most of the problems.

And that's my $.02. Or as Forrest Gump said "that's all I am going to say about".
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
swanny we have the same unit and we ordered new cabinet doors 3 weeks ago from a dealer in goshen for the 09 unit as we are taking out the hood fan, the so called microwave and the cabinet next to it ,, i am remoling it all to put in a 30" microwave as the 2010 have in them ... i am also hanging the island cab from the ceiling , then new counter tops that will be bigger and no post, and with a reg microwave from best buy or who ever ...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote