Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Tire hitting brace

I am getting ready to tow to Puerto Vallarta Mexico so yesterday during a under carriage inspection of my Monty, I noticed small chunks of tire thread taken out of the right front axle tire. Further inspection, I notice a gusseted support bracket just above the tire was slightly bent and it was obvious that the tire was striking the gusset periodically. The clearance between the tire and area of the gusset which it was hitting was less than three inches; understandable why it is hits. I have cut away some of the gusset to make room for the up and down movement of the tire. Has anyone ever experience this problem?

If you have a 2955RL can you check the placement of this gusset on your Monty.

Tony

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Have you checked to make sure the axle hasn't moved for some reason, like loose U-bolts, broken spring mounts, etc., or that there isn't a problem with the suspension causing the tire to travel up more than it should?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree with Tom. It sounds as though something is amiss.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Measure the distance between your front and rear tires. They should be near the same. Take a good look at your springs for any movement fore and aft.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Eventhough my Monty is 2005 it was never used by the previous owner. His health failed after he bought it and it stay in the driveway. I bought it in May 2009, because it was still in new condition, I had the Dealers install the Morryde suspension as they do on the new 2955RLs.
All springs, shocks, shackles and hardware was replaced at my request with this installation. I have inspected everything and it's still tight and proper.

My only thought is that during the manufacturing of the unit the welder had a bad day and placed the brace where it did not belong. If it had been placed 10 inches forward of it's current position the problem would not exist. Currently it is almost directly above the highest point of the tire, limiting the travel of that tire. That's why I was asking another 2955RL owner to check the position of mounting of this brace on their Monty and maybe give me some points to measure from, so I can check it against mine.

I have modified it so atleast I can travel to Mexico. I have large storage and workshop in Mexico where I can remove it and reweld it.

Tony

Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Very Interesting! My 2005 2955RL has the same gusset above the right front tire. It is bent forward with a slight tear in the bracket where it meets the frame. It appears the horizontal part of the gusset was attached to the floor of the coach at one time but it sure isn't now. The inner lining of the wheel well area appears to be a cloth like fabric of some type so I am not sure how the gusset was really attached.

I had noticed this a while ago. I attributed it to collateral damage when a shackle failed on the right rear spring and the coach dropped down about three inches on that side. There is no obvious wear marks on the right front tire that indicate it has been rubbing on the gusset.

There is a 2007 2955RL parked near me at this campground and I just went over and looked at it. That year doesn't have a gusset so I guess Montana changed the design by then.

Now I am curious if other 2005 29nn models (I think they all share a similar frame) have this gusset and is it in the original position?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Carl:

Thanks for the feed back. To add to my last, since May this year we have traveled 10K miles with our Monty. At times, if my wife had her window open in the truck I would hear a slight scraping or rubbing sound on big bumps. I always thought maybe the tire was striking the fiberglass fender on the bumps and I never noted any damage until I did my under carriage inspection.

To answer your question, vertical part of the gusset is welded to the frame and horizontal part is attached to the underbelly by one lag bolt. I have relieved the gusset with a hacksaw and large hammer to prevent further contact and tire damage. Now that I know they removed this gusset on the 2007, I will remove mine completely.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Tony,
Not there on my 2005 2955. Looks like you were right about a bad day for the welder.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote