Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Tire Blow-out / Rig Repairs

We need to repair the rig damage from the tire blow-out we had in May. Has anyone ordered the alum skirting that runs the length of the slide plus the MorRyde plastic tire fairing directly from Keytone . Or do you need to go thru a dealer. Has anyone done this repair themselves or has it always been done thru a dealer. Charles Wade said the repair is real simple???? but dealers estimate 4 hours labor. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We had the damage caused by our tire blowout last year fixed at an RV body shop in Yuma, not at a dealer. My recollection is that the lower metal panel is a standard item that comes in something like a 12 foot long strip which can be cut to the length required and painted--it does't have to be purchased from Keystone. I believe they had to order our plastic tire fairing/fender skirt from Keystone. I think the fender skirt comes as a set that includes both sides of the rig. It comes in white and can be painted to match your color--with ours, we left it white and replaced the fender skirts on both sides so that they matched.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I just ordered that back panel on the right rear. It is 28" x 38&quote; it cost $40 + tx. I talked to Keystone. It has to be ordered through a dealership. Just FYI, one rear stabilizer is also $66. One of the problems with the replacement aluminum panels is that they are NOT pre-drilled to fit the same screw/bolt holes. I had some other work being done on my 2007 3400 and the tech said he would do this install for me. Also, you have to pull moulding off to get to the screws.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I had to repair a section between the rear whell and the steps going into the trailer. Luckily, i have a brother-in-law that could fabricate a piece about 18' wide out of slightly heavier aluminum which i fit into that slot. It overlaps the rest of the panel (called J-Panel) with some silicon sealant. I painted it using some spray touch up paint from the auto store and it matches pretty well. I am hoping that the primer will help the paint hold up pretty long. The dealer wanted a lot of cash to repair it and i would have had to buy an entire length of the J-Panel from the manufacturer. This was much simpler and doesn't look all that bad.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote