Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2009, 02:58 AM   #1
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
LP GAS LEAK

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with this.....my pressure valve on the passenger's side of the RV has a vent hole that is leaking gas? I've got the automatic switching unit on the tank on the driver's side and when I turn off the passenger's side tank it doesn't leak anymore? I was hopoing it was just venting pressure, but this went on for sonme time so I finally shut it off...help!

av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Same thing happened to me. I had to change it. Problem solved.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
On most regulators, that 'vent' hole is actually an atmospheric reference port - it allows the regulator to maintain a constant pressure regardless of your altitude. If gas is leaking from that hole, either the diaphragm has ruptured inside, or the seat is damaged

Either way, it needs to be replaced.
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Av2pilot, is that the little red regulator? I had three of them fail. They're not expensive but when the third one also failed by reducing flow to unacceptable levels, I removed it and replaced it with a female to male (or vice-versa) adapter. Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have the right size but Ace Hardware did. I took the old regulator with me so I could match size and thread.

You probably know this but that regulator's purpose is to keep you and me from locking up the safety valve in the tank by opening the valve too quickly. With propane having to travel through the black pipe to the other side, the flow is so high when you quickly open the tank that it thinks there is a leak and it locks the valve, shutting off the flow. The regulator slows the flow so that doesn't happen. If you remove the regulator, just be sure to open that tank very slowly, just a crack at first, then slowly open it from there.

If you lock up the tank, I **think** the solution is to remove the tank, turn it upside down, then rightside up and reinstall it and open it slowly. That worked for me the one time I screwed that up, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If it is a Mashall regulator here is how it works...... http://www.shleggitt.com/

We had to replace ours in Florida during the winter.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I was advised by Marshall Gas controls to replace the passenger side regulator (the original red one made in India) but that didn't solve my problem. Had to replace the Marshall Auto-Switchover regulator (model 254) on the drivers side. However, I told Marshall that I had observed oil in the red regulator and that sent them off the edge. They stated that some RV manufacturers (Montana) were not storing their black crossover pipes correctly after they were threaded in the factory. If stored horizontally the oil used when cutting the threads gets stored inside the pipe and causes problem later. Apparently Montana isn't using the black crossover pipe any more and is now using hose again.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That could very well be what happened to our red regulators.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem! It is the little red regulator so I guess I'll get a new one. Thanks for the help as always!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
I finally got around to changing the little red regulator and when I went to the camper store and called the dealer they were of little help! The tech at the dealer told me to pick up a red regulator at the hardware store that you use for a high flow gas grill...like a turkey fryer. I found one for $17 and I'm back in action!