Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Design of the bedroom slide to prevent leaks?

I am wondering if anyone's bedroom slide is designed on the outside like mine?

It has the black rubber seals on top and sides. None along the bottom. Also under the rubber seal on each side of the slide is a small drain spout (it looks like the rain gutters at the top of our units except it's placed vertical) This "gutter" stops about 1 1/2 inches above the bottom edge of the slide.

Does anyone else have this design?

Also has anyone ever ran silicone, or some type of sealant, along the top of the slide's outer section?

fla native

2004 2980RL (Miss Montana) towed by 2001 Dodge diesel 3500 (LadyRam)

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
We have a 2004 model 2955RL and our first trip out we had leaks around the bedroom slide, both front and rear sides. The dealer (Funtime RV, Celburne, TX ) did something minor, ran a leak test and said its OK.Thats 1. Later that month we still had a problem, dealer again made minor repair by removing the 90degree water drain at the bottom of the slide saying it was just a fault Montana had built in. The leak was enough to cause them to replace the facia boards around the bed. another leak test, Ok. Thats 2. Early in June we were wet again, tech at dealer wanted to know why I took the 90degree drains off the slide unit??????, they ordered new parts. Thats 3. Problem still exists a few days later, again the 90degree drains were replaced, seals tested and pronounced OK. Thats 4. Next rain, guess what. Tech send to my home and declared the 90degree drains were short and installed new ones. Thats 5. Trailer back in shop Aug 2nd for leak. New drains installed as well as a new problem was discovered at the top of the slide, something about the black seals not overlaping, repair done and again tested, Results are still pending. Thats 6. I sent copies all the first five repair order sheets to Keystone back in early July but they are all deaf and mute in Goshen,Indiana. I think I have good reason to declare this one a LEMON but I'm sure Keystone will see it differently. I am really SICK of the name Montana to the point that I don't think I will even travel to the state, HAHAHAHa. I'll be looking for another brand before long I can assure you. Fed up in Texas.
Tom & Mary
Waco, Tx.
2004 Montana 2955RL
2004 3500 SRW Dodge Diesel

See my update for 29 Aug. under leaks. Unit is headed back to factory this coming week. Will post the outcome after it returns.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 03:24 AM   #3
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
This is my latest report on our 2955RL. It came back to the dealership from the factory on tuesday the 28th of Sept. and they gave it a washing, repacked the wheel bearings and adjusted the enterance door. We picked it up on the 30th. Got home and parked it in its spot and opened the slides and gave it a good inspection. The entire bedroom slide had been rebuilt to better fit the cutout in the side of the trailer. The seals were all new and the one across the bottom of the slide was of the roll type and extended past the edges of the slide. The top and side seals were of the same type as before( blade type) and the ends of the little drain channels inside of the blade seals came about one inch past the seals themselves. The good LORD blessed us with a big thunderstorm last night and 2 1/2 inches of rain. I was afraid to look this morning, BUT IT WAS DRY DRY DRY. Perservance does pay off in the end, so if you are having these kinds of problems don't give up, stay on the dealer and the company to make it right, Only had one item missing when we got it home as we didn't leave anything inside of any value. I had made a nice sewer hose carrier and it was straped to the frame just behind the jacks. Someone had cut the straps and took the entire thing, hose and all. They dealer said he will repay me to make myself a new one. I must say that Keystone has come through on this one and the dealer has been patient with my insistance that it be done right even though they took a long time working against the flow to get it repaired. I guess they just did not have a tech that could find the right combination, maybe it coud only have been done at the factory. Anyway, we are happy and can now start repacking for our trip to San Diego on the 1st. of Nov. Long in coming, but a good report never the less. Wacot
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote