Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave -

Chas, have you done the shake test on your Quilted Northern? We used to use Quilted Northern and it passed the shake test a few years ago. When I started noticing big chunks of paper exiting the tank when dumping, at least far more than "normal," I did another shake test and our Quilted Northern did not disintegrate. Not even close. The package said septic safe. So we switched to Angel Soft. Maybe we just got a bum (no pun intended package of paper. Just wanted to let you know it might be a good idea to test it. Just in case.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve makes a very good point here. Just because your favorite RV TP worked great a year ago in the shake test, doesn't mean that company can't change it's formulas.

In fact I would bet most tissue mfrs do modify their chemistry from time to time - either for "better performance" or just plain economic reasons.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
I just went through a black water tank blockage ordeal that almost defied diagnosis. It ended up being so bizarre that I'm going to make a whole new posting just dealing with the symptoms and the solution. I'm also going to be seeking some reimbursement from Keystone over this matter...........
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #24
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We use Angel Soft and don't have any issues. We also use Calgon Water softner. Don't use any Chemicals at all, have no odors. The great thing we have found is when you first pull the dump handle for body waste and its empty's out I then close the Tank and refil with water, "DON'T LEAVE THE TANK UNATTENDED" then the second flush will almost be clean and the third will be clean. Don't know for sure how but it works. I think most people dumps to often. And when you do empty the tanks before you travel make sure you have about 10 gals of water in the black tank. Calgon is hard to fine so we buy several boxes at a time and we don't use the liquid type. As others said use plenty of water when you flush. We did have one other 5th wheel that we had that would stop up very easy, the drop pipe wasn't mounted properly had to much of a slant, and had to redo the black pipe. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote