Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Had to Dig Myself Out

The day we left Massachusetts to come up to NH, I did a STUPID! This is a report card on me.

I was parked at my brother's house, on the side, in the grass. We had placed 2X12 under the tires, and blocks under the landing gear and stabilizers. Of course, we had some rain, and you could see where everything had settled a little.

On the day we left, I backed the TV up, lined it up, then did my usual - in this case - raising the Hanna to get it up where it would slide onto the hitch. I kept tripping the circuit breaker - it just would not go up far enough to get a comfortable bump.

Hey! No problem right! What's a few extra inches to bump.

Bump! no problem and it slid right up. Then I tried to retract the front landing jacks and I could not get them to come up. Try! Try! Try! Hammer to the wood blocks - no good. Got the shovel from the shed and dug the blocks out from under the front landing enough to knock them into the hole. This did release the landings and I was able to retract them.

STUPID is as STUPID IS. I NEVER RAISED THE REAR STABILIZERS before I started all this process. I guess I must have had just enough stress and strain on everything that it was jammed. I even tried jacking the front up to release the pins (That was more STUPID)

Oh well! I was an Idiot once, now I'm a dumb idiot.

Anothere SHAME ON ME!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Welcome to the "fuse blowing self-induced" club Wayne. I was a little more fortunate, after blowing four fuses in a row, I just happened to look back and saw the rear stabilizers down. Had a good laugh and went on!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That's not so bad....2 weeks ago we had to take the 3400 to the dealer to have the black tank replaced...about 2 miles from the driveway..what could go wrong. Halfway down the street I noticed a long black snake following the camper...I had pulled the 50 amp cord out of the house...oh well...continue up the street and wam..bam....leaves and branches in the mirror..I did not lower the tv antenna but the tree branch did.... Did I do the check list asked Helen?? obviously not. Am I not Mr checklist asked Helen..well yes..soooo asked Helen..Fortunately it was only 2 miles to the dealer as she was only a foot or so away from my ear.Will I ever hear the end of it.....nooooo

7.00 for power box repair(new 50 amp plug)....18.00 for new antenna parts. Do that qualify for the "dumb thing" club????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Welcome to the club Wayne. Been there and done that. And I'm almost certain I'll do it again! Like Bingo says.... just move on.

Sure does make you feel dumb when you first do it. But then you just have to remember that everyone of us has probably done the same thing or something similar.

Thanks for sharing.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I've done that with the rear stabilizers, too. After the second time, I got a box of these small tags with strings on them...put a red tag in the basement so it dangles down over the landing gear switch. Written on the tag is "REAR STABS??"
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don't feel bad, we have all overlooked something, I have my dumb stories as well. I asked myself after each time, how could I have missed that? We just do sometimes.
Hang in there, Bud. (Good idea, Tom) Rich, I ask Sue to double check me, she often sees things I have missed, CRS, I guess...
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I think most of us could tell our horror stories about our stupid mistakes. Mine cost me $500 and the insurance company $4700. My procedure is to take my time which the DW says seems like a whole day and if I think I have done it I do it again. Before we drive off I do a total walk around and this is the third walk around.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
My bad came when I was bringing the slides in and didn't look around first. The recliner closest to the slide was sticking out. I didn't realize it until the slide was coming in and started pushing the recliner and snapped the strap and cleat right out of the floor. DH is so patient. He has to do all the repairs and I am soooo fortunate that he loves me even though I make lots of work for him!!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I noticed some resistance once and then I realized that mine were down also. I think it will happen to us all sooner or later.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thank goodness for the MOC! I would have gone through life thinking that I was the only one in the world to be stupid enough to try to raise the front landing gear with the back stabs down. This is great!

Now if I could only find postings similar to all the other dumb stuff (I have found a couple) I did, I might actually have a pleasant 4th of July...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
Post some of those dumb things here and see what rolls out of the barrel.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote