Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
West of Denver CG

Looking for a two or three night stay at a GC west of Denver where we can enjoy the mountains on our trip to Southern Utah. Will be traveling on I70.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Well, this is far west of Denver but in-laws stayed at Fruita which is nearly right on Utah-Colorado border (I70). They said it was an excellent place to stay.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
If you're looking for a cg in western Co, this state cg is very nice and is about 20 miles from UT. You probably won't need to make reservations but it may be worth a phone call!

http://coloradostateparks.reserveame.../newindex.html
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

How far west of Denver? The ones suggested are on the western slope which are 5-6 hours away.

There are quite a few within the metro area, but as you head up the hills they become few and far between because of the winter. As you look through the state park link above, make sure they are actually open.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Well Not ever driven through the area I'm not sure how far. We do want to enjoy the mountains so wouldn't want to drive to far west to do that! Have looked at Rifle Gap SP, it looked nice on googe satellite? Between there and Vail is what I think would be a nice mountainous area?? Thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

If you are looking at the western slope - (west of continental divide), I would try around Glenwood Springs. There are some nice private campgrounds there and a lot to do in the mountains close by. Enjoy the hot springs in Glenwood, take a run down to Marble and Redstone. Nice area there.

As far west as Rifle, it starts to get into the flats. Pretty drive, but you left the big mountains behind you.

Brad
Old 02-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Rifle gap is not the prettiest cg. When do you plan to travel? I70 in winter is not exactly the greatest road to be on unless you can drive between snowflakes.

If you want to tour the Rockies, you pretty much exit the mountains after Avon. There is so much to see you probably need to do more research.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Plan on leaving Illinois mid June destination parks in S. Utah. Been years since I've been west of Denver and not allot of CG to look at, the Glenwood Springs is interesting. Still have time to plan thanks for the help!SeeYa
Old 02-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

You didn't say June!! I thought you meant now - like winter time. There tons of CG that will be open by then west of Denver and on the western slope as well. Careful with some of the National Forest CG, as they are primitive and were built by Theodore Roosevelt for covered wagons. You'll have to back out of there
Old 02-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Brad will just have to circle to Monties and rotate.LOL
Old 02-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #11
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Dennis & Debbie, I too am heading to CO this summer. As far as the state parks go, my research indicates that they require you to buy an annual vehicle pass in addition to the nightly camping fees. It appears the pass is $55 for the year. I didn't see any options for a one time stay or a fee for out of state visitors. That could make a one night stay pretty expensive. Maybe our Colorado members can clairify this?
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

On the state parks webpage - you have to select the specific park you are looking at, then it will display the daily rates. They all vary based on ammenities.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Brad, are these daily rates for camping overnight, or are they just that...daily rates?
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

Using this link - http://parks.state.co.us/parksquickfind select the park you want. Then go to Fees on the left. A page will come up that shows the "Parks Pass" daily rate, then below that will be "Camping Fees". They are separate.

If they don't have camping fees, they probably don't have an overnight campground. Here is an example for Chatfield Reservoir:

Parks Passes
Daily pass: $6.00 starting 1/1/07
Annual pass: $55 - Go to the Parks Pass Information page for more information about annual passes, or puchase your 2007 annual pass online now!

Camping Fees
Electric campsite: $18.00 starting 1/1/07
Full hook-up campsite: $22.00 starting 1/1/07
Group Campsite Fees: $72.00 per night plus $8.00 reservation fee starting 1-1-07
Old 02-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #15
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks Brad that will help with my home work!

Been to your home page have a couple of questions if I may?
1 Before your 2955rl developed to problem with the front how was the trail, did you guys just out grow it?
2 The remote for the lights where did you get it, I have the lights but the remote would be COOL?
3 How did thew new tires G rating work out, will you do it on the new Monty?

Looks like three questions.Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis, hopefully this will answer your questions -

The front end problem actually ended up as a minor issue (not the dreaded broken welds) and I was able to fix it myself with guidance from Keystone. Keystone did offer to ship it to the factory under warranty to fix it if I couldn't do it myself.

The 2955RL served us quite well and was a great trailer. We just couldn't resist the new features on the Montanas (50A+50A electric, 8-lug wheels and mor-ryde, W/D, etc.) We also decided we would not pull the boat anymore behind the Monty (front end issue started to worry me), so that eliminated any length restriction we had. We chose the 3400 just because we could, however if we were still pulling the boat I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the 2955.

I got the remote light kit at Pep Boys. Wallmart also has them and have a light set that comes with remote. They are cool (you should see the new remote system I'm working on!)

We never realized the benefit of the G-tires, as we traded shortly after we installed them. They were actually too much tire for the 2003 and I felt we were sold a "bill of goods" after tire failure on the road. I never did find 6-lug wheels that could take the 110psi optimum pressure for the Gs, so I ended up getting new wheels rated for 85psi. I doubt I will go that route again unless I just have too much trouble with the E rated ST tires we have on the new one.

Brad
Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Dennis:

This is a link to a campground that I rather enjoy. It is not a state park, and is less than 100 miles west of Denver in the heart of the mountains close to I-70.

http://www.roadcamping.com/rv/Colora...mpgrounds.html

If the link doesn't work, just use "heaton bay campground colorado" in your search engine and you should find it. Want to get up there again this year ourselves...haven't been since we got the Monty.

You would only be about 1/2 hour from Vail. The campground is on the shore of Lake Dillon. I would recommend reservations for your intended time.

There is also a place near Breckenridge that is the Tiger Run RV Resort, but is very overrated IMHO.

Clyde
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks Brad So-Far-So good for your 2955 trailer. I did replace the re frig. I believe low voltage got it BUT the service guy said there was a blockage in the ammonia line. With three yrs from retirement this size trailer works for us.

Clyde Thanks the link worked great, the GC sounds nice we'd like to be in the mountains a couple of day. While I having an altitude headache I might has well enjoy it.LOL
Old 02-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #19
Rockerdude
Established Member

M.O.C. #6837
We have camped in several places in Colorado and found that the KOA's were the best that we found, besides the time we stayed in Golden (by the Coor's brewery), that was a real nice private park (can't remember the name though). On the private parks, you really need to ask if they are shared sights or not, personally I do not care for those parks. The KOA's I thought that were great were in Ouray, which is north of the "Million Dollar Hightway" coming out of Silverton. That whole area is absolutey beautiful. The other KOA that was nice was in Glenwood Springs. Wherever you go in the Rockies, you'll find it's beautiful with plenty to see and do.
Rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:12 AM   #20
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I will 'piggy-back' on Ross's post to add my favorite KOA in Colorado: Buena Vista KOA which is actually about 4 miles out from BV at Johnson Village. I like it because I can hike right out from the trailer door and up into the hills for great rock scrambling.

We also like the Arrowhead Point campground north of Buena Vista (this used to be the Crazy Horse RV Resort). Owners are a nice young couple who are trying to overcome the transition from "Crazy Horse" to "Arrowhead Point".

Our present choice is a free site in our daughter's yard on Cottonwood Creek near Buena Vista, but I can't recommend that one as it is not available to the public!!!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote