Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gap in corner molding

I noticed a gap between sidewall and corner molding when hitched up. And only when hitched up, landing gear up. It's on the lower corner, street side, just forward of the propane locker. I'll try to post a picture in this message.

Anyone have an idea what's causing this? Looks like I'm getting some flex while sitting still, but why?

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Steve

We had the same problem with ours.We took ours back to the dealer and had them check it out. It was the same time that we had the crack under the bedroom slide. They removed the sheeting under the overhang. They said that some of the screws holding the aluminum frame had worked loose plus they put longer screws in it. Keystone paid for the repair. Dealer thought it was some frame problem before they took it off. Dealer said he didn't find any problems with the frame or welds. So far we haven't had any more flexing after the repair.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Larry & Roma. Maybe I'll talk with Keystone when we're at the rally and maybe have a dealer in that area take a look. Sounds reasonable that could be it. We don't have the crack but ours has the expansion joint at that location so we probably wouldn't get the crack.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:37 AM   #4
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
Steve, on the New (used) 3280 that we just bought, I see what looks to be a very small 1" or so crack in the lower corner of the unit towards the front that is under the bedroom slide. Is this where the "bedroom slide crack" is? I would like to see a photo of both the crack that someone else has as well as the "expansion joint" fix. I plan on calling Montana next week and see what they can/will do. Any suggestions on who to talk to about this would be appreciated. On a happer note, we are off to Galveston State Park this weekend camping and fishing with my son, daughter-in-law and new grandson. This will be our first true trip in the new unit. Wish us luck.
Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, if it's at a 45 degree angle (approximately) from a lower corner of the slide opening then, yes, that's the crack they mentioned. My understanding is Keystone is fixing these under warranty, maybe even when out of warranty (ask). I understand the crack itself is not a problem but a symptom. They put in an expansion joint where the crack is. The newer ones already have that expansion joint. Then they check the underdeck behind the pinbox for any signs of frame cracking and fix that if needed. Several on this forum have been through this and hopefully will see this and speak to it for you. Good luck and keep us posted. This is one of the many areas where Keystone has come through for its owners. Hopefully they will for you, as well.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:14 AM   #6
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
Steve, thanks for the info. If I don't see any other responses, I'll post a new topic and try and get the Montana contact details. Our trip to Galveston State Park went great. The fifth wheel towed super. I put the air bags on the truck and it really leveled it out that last couple of inches. We caught a bunch of specs at night and had a super time. Camping in a Montana with 3 slide outs is quite a change from a 29' mini motorhome. Wife is a very happy camper. Regards Gary
Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
screws under the rubber moulding loosen and push out the rubber, I just used some lock tite on the screws.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jerry, I'll check that again but don't see any screws in this area. This isn't the rubber molding insert but the plastic (I think plastic) trim that goes around that corner that's pulling away and only when hitched up. When the pressure is off the kingpin the trim moves back to where it should be. Thanks for the info, though. I'll doublecheck for screws.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
You've got me scared now. Sounds almost as if you might have a flexing or loose frame issue. I hope not. But please get it checked and let us know. Good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:26 AM   #10
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Steve - I've got no problem like yours, but being new to fiver towing, I'm still surprised by the amount of movement I see in the rearview mirror. I'm at the point where it doesn't seem excessive to me; however, it's clear that there is some flexing going on. I'll be interested to hear the outcome of your issue. Hope it's something simple.
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote