Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brakes Update

A few weeks ago we had the brakes checked by our selling dealer. This is the first time for checking these brakes. The rig is two years old and has somewhere between 15,000 and 25,000 miles on it.

I was running the brake controller to aggressively use the trailer brakes. Prodigy current was at 7.8v max and boost 3. The dealer told me the linings were only about half worn down. However, they showed heat stress cracks. He also said the magnets were severely worn off at a 45 degree angle. He told me I'm running the brakes too aggressively.

So, I reset the Prodigy, experimenting a little, and ended up with a current reading of 6.9v. This is still plenty of stopping power (in our setup). The trailer still starts the stopping process, I think, since I don't get the slop in the hitch when stopping and starting. Boost is still on 3 so in an emergency the brakes get an initial stronger charge.

Just wanted to let you know that an overly aggressive setting causes problems as much as too weak a setting and that the brake linings apparently are good for more than 15,000 miles. However, most of ours is highway miles since we're fulltiming so those doing weekends and shorter trips might need work in fewer miles.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
DBLSlide
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #71
Great info Steve, thanks.

After the tire and axle topics I have read, with your miles, and other than your tire issues, how are you tires wearing?

I saw a 2002 Montana the other day, looked at their tires, Generals, and they are wearing really well. There have been several folks having issues,and after reading their posted information, it has me keeping an eye on mine. But you are at a mileage that would be interesting to hear about.
DBLSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kinda hard to tell since 3 have gone bad before wearing out. One of the defective ones had some cupping along the inside tread. The latest one is worn a little more on the inside. But I keep buying new tires at a pro-rated price so it's hard to tell. It seems to be one wheel position that's doing the cupping and wearing. Guess I better go look at the others again as it's been awhile. Mine are load range D tires even though the placard on the Montana says E. Keystone told me this is a new size D with rating to handle it and that is what the tire says on the sidewall so I guess it's ok. When I had another go bad recently we were just hitting the road and the facility had a used tire of some unknown brand in the right size but in LR E. I bought it and it's still on. So I run the E at 80psi and the D's at 65. Doesn't seem to be a problem so far.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
DBLSlide
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #71
Let me ask this, could the cupping be caused by a bad shock? And has anyone replaced their shocks? And what shock did they use for replacement?

Inquiring minds want to know....LOL
DBLSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the great posting. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:16 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I hadn't thought about the shocks but I think they can cause cupping. Surely they're not worn out yet. And what about the many trailers out there without shocks? Do they have cupping problems? I'm at the park office and it's raining outside so soon as I can I'll try to remember to check the brand of shock. They may be an OEM type without branding on them though.