Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Derailing Wire Baskets in Pantry

Our 05 - 3295 RK came with 4 wire baskets in the pantry by the entertaiment center. Every time we pull the bottom 2 baskets out 1/2-way they come out of their guides. We use these 2 the most for most frequently used items dog food and some canned goods. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem. I am wondering if I remove the screws on on side and add a posterboard shim, easier to find or make than a strip of 1/8" plywood, would move one of the guides in to prevent derailing. Does anyone else have this problem?

Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
HI...know exactly what you mean. These baskets are useless. Get them too heavy (w/can goods) & they start to bend. So took the bottom 2 baskets out & use the top for paper products. The bottom has my can goods stacked. Wedged a short piece of wood to prohibit cans from banging on door. Will have to do until I can come up with something better.
These baskets tend to cheapen the rig. Wood drawers would have been nicer.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:05 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In our '03 it is wooden sliding drawers, if you're talking the cabinet above the trash cabinet, the middle of three doors? Wonder why they changed that?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:28 AM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I have drawers there also. Baskets flex too much when they have weight in them. Maybe take the baskets out and just out in shelves.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
According to the dealer rep, they went to the wire baskets to increase the amount of storage in the cabinet just above the trash can. This allows for 4 storage spaces rather than the 2 sliding drawers. I think I will place shims behind the vertical rail to make the baskets fit tighter and see what happens before removing them. The baskets in closets and laundry areas in a regular house don't seem to fall out, according to neighbors that have them.

Also I wished there was some way to remove the dirty laundry basket from the storage compartment below, rather than having to lift the trap door in the bathroom area floor. I think I will work on an alternative. Maybe even replace the basket with one of those fabric mesh type hampers that are now being advertised for college kids going back to school.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, we got a different, rectangular, basket with handle. We put a laundry bag inside that, draped over the top and snugged with the rope thing. We can either loosen and pull out the bag or lift the basket out with its handle. It is deeper than the round laundry basket and has a smaller footprint (base), taking up less of the valuable basement space. We like having the laundry basket there because smelly clothes don't smell up the living area. I also like being able to pull the basket out and being able to access things I stored in the middle of the basement, too.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:38 AM   #7
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Gimmy, I had that same problem with a couple of my drawers and thats what I did. Shimmed the slides out, the fronts were good the backs spread apart. Good Luck
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:43 AM   #8
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
These are all good idea's folks! thanks, I pretty much gave up on the laundry shute as it was such a pain to get the basket out, maybe way too much stuff in the basement? naaaa! and as for the baskets, I Thought that was a cheap/flimsy set up, but I had not put any thought into it other than slinging the baskets out the door and installing real shelves.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
gimmy200l - Our Monty also came with the four basket drawers above the waste basket cabinet. We had the same problem of baskets falling off the tracks. We removed the rails on the right side and attached shims - this has worked out fine and has corrected the problem for us. Also removed one of the baskets and use it below the sink to organize dish towels.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:00 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Flastro, before we bought our first Montana we had a local dealer trying to sell us a New Vision Ultra, a brand he had just picked up. He didn't have any in stock so we drove to Wichita to an RV Show to see the model we were interested in. It had the laundry basket next to the bedroom dresser, the door pull open that's hinged at the bottom. When you opened it up there were very thin pressed board sides that I suppose were to guide the clothes into the storage area. I thought they looked rather weak and simply put my hand on one to check it out. It fell off. It was just stapled along the bottom, not very well at that. Now **that** was a flimsy setup! We bought the Montana instead.

-- Thinking about it, they were just veneer paneling, not pressboard.