Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
skinnyrabbit

M.O.C. #9768
sensors in black tank

has anyone had trouble with their sensors in the black tank showing half full when you just emptyed it .an it was flushed out with clean water system . I used a cleaner that was supposed to clean from campers world an it worked till it got full again then showed half full again

skinnyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Topic that keeps showing up, and I'll bet that most of the responses will be

IGNORE the sensors, they rarely work.

We do use some Calgon water softener stuff (a laundry detergent additive, not bath beads) and a bit of laundry soap in our tanks when we run down the road, with say, ohhhh, 2 to 4 gallons of water for the slosh effect. It helps some, but, we don't do so for the sensors, but, for general cleaning.

Some have added some nice exterior type sensors, they are a bit pricy, but, reports are that they work.

For us, Calgon and All and away we go~! Snicker, maybe we are having a Calgon minute, "Take me away Calgon."

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Had that problem for years. I replaced the sensors with Horst probes. They replace the existing sensors using the same holes. My black and gray tanks have indicated correctly ever since I replaced them.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Being a new Montana owner I seem to have 5 to 6 gallons remain in the tank after I dump and flush. I seen clear water coming out during the flush so I think I am empty. When I get home and on my level slab is when the 5 to 6 gallons show up. I am thinking most dump stations I have been at have the nose down hill ever so slightly causing a collection that the flush system bypasses and at home I am level when parked. Any thoughts on this experience?
Joe Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Mine hasn't worked properly since the rig was new, 3 years now. I just ignore it, and flush when the toilet starts to gurgle when I flush, but it's annoying.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joe Wakeman

Being a new Montana owner I seem to have 5 to 6 gallons remain in the tank after I dump and flush. I seen clear water coming out during the flush so I think I am empty. When I get home and on my level slab is when the 5 to 6 gallons show up. I am thinking most dump stations I have been at have the nose down hill ever so slightly causing a collection that the flush system bypasses and at home I am level when parked. Any thoughts on this experience?
Very few dump stations are exactly level. If it's not level side to side, you can compensate with some blocks. If it's off front to back, it's not as easy but can be done unless the site is way off.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I don't worry about it to much. I just dump every Sunday or when the toliet gurgels.....
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I clean the sensors by putting about four ounces of concentrated kitchen liquid dish soap in the tanks, add 10 to 15 gallons of water and drive to the next CG. Normally that will do it, if not, add lots of ice cubes...they will clean the sensor probes and then melt.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote