Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Faulty kitchen propane leak detector???

The alarm keeps going off on our kitchen propane leak detector. The rig is only six months old. The propane is off so I know that the alarm is false. I finally disconnected the hot lead and called the dealer. They want me to bring in the rig rather than just the detector (a three hour drive).

Any one had this problem? Shouldn't Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ken

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I have not experienced any problems with mine. Just blow it out once a year with compressed air. I think the unit in the Montana's only cost about $60 bucks. I'd buy a new one before I drove 3 hours to the dealer for just this one item. You can probably call the manufacturer and they would send you one under warranty. At least they did on my home CO2 detector.
Jim C.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
My detector has been doing this every so often for years.
We finally figured out a few times the wife using hair spray in bedroom would set it off. Other times I think it is a bug or something getting into it.
I pull the fuse for a couple of hours and it will reset. I,like you, knew there was no propane leak so I did not worry about unpluging the fuse.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
I replaced mine about a year ago. It was going off pretty regular, hair spray, deodorant, dogs. Has not went off once since I put a new one in.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Our's will go off if our batteries in the rig are low. Did this in our SOB 5th wheel also.
Good luck
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Like Roamingusa mentions the Propane alarm will sound over and over again if the 12V batteries run low. How fresh are your 12v batteries?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
The rig has not been used for a about 5 months, I'll reconnect now that we have been plugged in for a few days and check it out. Thank you everyone!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, This is a common occurrence with stored rigs. The batteries will drain down, then the propane alarm will "call for help" by beeping in an effort to notify someone.

Now that you know of this possibility some rig owners actually put a switch inline at the hotlead to switch the propane detector off when the propane is off and the unit is in storage. If you do not have a way to keep the 12v batteries charged, then the alarm won't be sounding. Of course when you pick up the rig, you must remember to add "turning the propane detector" back on. Mind you, this is not recommended because forgetting to turn on the alarm can be HAZARDOUS!

If you don't want to risk this problem, then you might want to look into battery recharging/reconditioning systems to keep your trailer's batteries in top shape. Unfortunately, this is another topic and I am not 100% familiar with this since my trailer is stored and plugged into shore power and wired so the batteries do not run down.

Good luck with this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Ours goes off every time we use the oven. Checked gas line for leak,etc, ok. just tempermental I guess
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote