Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wiring hanger

Well we finally had one of those vinyl hangers under the slides break.
First one in 33 months and these slides have been in and out plenty.It was the one in the Opposing slide. Was doing some routine maint cleaning the old lubricate, sand, dirt, etc off the slide rails and noted that the hanger was still holding on both ends but split open in the middle. Easy fix thanks to the detailed instructions, pictures, parts list and tools required offered on this forum. Had the hinges in my..it's gonna break sooner or later.. spare parts bin and it was a 20 min routine maint job instead of a *&^%$##@ corrective maint issue.. Thanks MOC and thanks guys..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Last time I looked underneath, I had about an inch or so of the hinge fold that was still in place. Told DW that it looked like a prime candidate for some WV auto body repair material (duct tape). She managed to sweetly convince me that if I went close to the Montana with duct tape for anything, that I would be sleeping on the couch at home for a looooong while. Guess I had better bite the bullet this spring and perform the trusty MOC-endorsed hinge repair!! Thanks Rich for bringing it back to memory.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Hey Bingo, we have one side that has been up with duct tape for a couple of years and many miles. First fix broke, trying to screw the hanger back up, and so a quick fix was duct tape. About every six months we replace the duct tape and we are good to go. Tell Cathy it is okay. Or get some of the "pretty" duct tape they have now.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Now we're talking. They make black duct tape don't they. Hee, hee, she will never know. At least not until she joins the forum. I have been trying to get her on here, but so far, no luck!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The Gorilla tape is black and will blend in real nice.

I had one tear and used some Tie Ties to hold it up loosely. Sold the 3400 - guess it's still holding. Had I kept it I would have gone with the hinge fix also.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Duct Tape??? Can't believe you'd resort to such a poor repair method. Mine broke off on the end, I drilled four small holes and used black snap ties to hold it in place. Rube Goldberg would be proud.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ours broke last summer on the way to Angel Fire, so I tied it up with a ratchet strap for the rest of the trip. When we returned home, I fixed it the "MOC" way with a stainless steel hinge. It almost looks professional .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jerry
Thanks so much for your opinion.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Wow, thats impressive that it took that long, I know you guys have put many miles on your rig. Our first one broke in the second year of ownership, and we only are weekends and only use our rig 5 months out of the year. Once the first one broke I made repairs to all the others due to the info I learned here. Love this forum for all the info you learn from those that have had the experiences.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Because we overdo most everything we used both the Gorilla tape and the hinge fix method. The tape covers the hinge so it looks like it never broke. BTW we found it while cleaning the old lubricant off the slide rails which is a real good idea if you have been sitting for awhile in a dusty/ sandy enviroment such a Florida or the S/W. I would not have wanted to run the slides in looking as grungy as they did...
Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #11
whiptail
Established Member

M.O.C. #7521
I have been reading this thread and wondering what the vinyl hanger is for so I can look at mine? I have learned a lot on this site and next week the dealer is going to replace our converter because (I have found out finally) our converter is some different crummier kind with no float option on it or available.
whiptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Whiptail--The vinyl hanger is the flexible piece of vinyl that holds the cables/wiring that is connected to the outer wall of a slideout. It moves back and forth as the slide is closed and opened. Yes--I have already done the hinge replacement on my main and opposing slides. I guess mine lasted about 18 months. I noticed the problem when the hanger was hanging down below the slideout when I retracted the slideout.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #13
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
Can someone point me to the thread that has the detailed instructions to fix these things? I've got 1 broken and one VERY close...thanks!
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #14
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Because we overdo most everything we used both the Gorilla tape and the hinge fix method. The tape covers the hinge so it looks like it never broke. BTW we found it while cleaning the old lubricant off the slide rails which is a real good idea if you have been sitting for awhile in a dusty/ sandy enviroment such a Florida or the S/W. I would not have wanted to run the slides in looking as grungy as they did...
How did you clean the slide rails?
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I noticed a brand new Cardinal on a dealer's lot with the same problem; in that case, it was carrying a heavy propane hose as well as some wires.

I have also noticed that these flexible bands look as though they are designed to be attached to the frame by about six screws along the outer edge (there are hole marks in the plastic). I think that if they were attached that way, the stress would be spread out more evenly and they may be less prone to failure. As it is, they are attached with a couple of randomly placed drill screws.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #16
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I hope this works if not just search hinges.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...I%20%20d,share
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Greener we just used rubbing alcohol to clean the hanger. We picked up a new hanger from the service center a couple of weeks ago. It is one size fits all and is 50 inches long. If it is cut to short my guess is it will put stress on it and break.