Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Isolator pin box problems(update)

This pin box works like the 5th Airborne and several other ones that absorb shock with an air bag and shock aborber.

Those of you that have this pin box you may be interested in what has happened to ours. Several months ago it started making loud snapping sounds when retracting and lowering the landing gear. When we got home from this last trip I took the darn thing apart. Found that the ends of the pivot bar or axle had rusted and than damaged the brass fittings that it rotated in. It was eating itself up every time we hit a bump.

There is no protection from the weather on the ends of the pivot bar. We live in a very wet part of the country. If I remember the 5th Airborne has the ends covered.

The good news is I think I have found a machine shop that can replace the damaged parts much cheaper than buying a new pin box.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have a trailair. Thanks for the heads up. I will be watching.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dick,

Thanks for this information. We also have the Isolator and we have not had any problems so far as you describe. As a precaution, however, I will frequently be spraying WD-40 on the ends where the bolts attach the pivot point with the bushings.

Have you considered calling TRP Fabex LLC in Elkart Indiana? Their number is (574) 293-0717. Even though they do not manufacture this
pinbox any more they were helpful in supplying me with a spare airbag. They may have some spare bronze bushings in their leftover inventory.

Good luck and keep us informed on the repair.

This is Al writing on Carole's I.D.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Well after several tries to get info from 5th airborne (they bought Isolator) gave up. I guess my west coast English is not part of their languge. Never did they return a call.

Removed pin box and took it to a local machine shop. Found out that the bushings had been put in place after box was painted. Not Good. The bushings came loose and destroyed themselves. The rust just hastend the end result. Dressed shaft, made and installed new bushings, and added zerk fitting so now I can grease the darn thing. It is better than new.

Cost was 1/5th replacement.

Looking forward to being back on the road.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
For those with the TrailAir: We met Dale, the owner and inventor, in Goshen when we had the TrailAir installed. He told me personally and positively that if any part ever failed he would replace it without cost. I have never needed to test his promise, but I have confidence in it.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote