Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Ford does have a 100K extended warranty (ESP) plan but it reads like you still have to purchase one before your truck has 36K miles on it.You can buy them at a discounted rate..Do some googleing.
Maybe we're not on the same page here Rich. Look at the warranty in your Ford owners manual. You probably have a 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, plus a 100,000 mile warranty on the diesel engine. This is the factory warranty, no extra cost to the consumer. Seems my GM engine warranty has a $100 deductible. I would think you are probably correct on the ESP having to be purchased before the factory warranty of 36K miles expires. I know on the GM Protection Plan it has a similar requirement. One of the things I hate about those plans; they penalize you for waiting to purchase the extended warranty, and then it runs concurrent with the factory warranty. If I were going to buy one, it would have to be either GM, Ford, Dodge, or whomever that sponsored the plan. IIRC, one of the GM plans that goes for around 2 grand actually cost the dealer around 600 bucks. That has been a few years, so it may be more now.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #22
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Warranty's are only as good as the people who sell them, most are a waste of money, and yes I have one on our Chevy Truck, it will supposely cover everthing for 5 yrs or 100,000 miles. GM does cover everything on the drive train, but you better read the fine print as someone said before. I'm sure we wasted our money because with the fuel price we want have 100,000 miles on our Silverado, I hope to get a new Truck in 2010 or for sure in 2011. As for GM being on its last leg it may be True but Ford and Dodge are in worse shape. I honestly hope and pray that the Big 3 can get thru this problem. If not we are in for a very serious time in America. So is you need a Truck go buy one of the Big Three. The old saying is "so goes GM so goes America" Good Luck...... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wayne,

Slick is right - get off the extended warranty issue and look in your manual (if you have one). Mine is a 2006 (built 2005) and is covered for the following:

bumper to bumper 3/36,000
safety restraint 5/50,000
corrosion 5/unlimited
6.0 powerstroke 5/100,000

included is the fuel injection system by Emissions Warranties for Diesels. The CAM sensor is in there as well, but I think it was the 7.3 that had the bigger issue with that.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will & Brad...I understand the warranty.The reason they sell the warranty is because the probabilities are that you will never use them. If the odds were that we would use them they would not be selling them as they would not be profitable.My Ford Diesel has the 100K warranty and the 3 year 36K warranty and it is transferable..There is more to the truck than the diesel motor. The way things are going I may never get 36K on the truck or have it 3 years. I have already used my RV extended Warranty. Today one of the running lights on the rear dually fender fell off my Shinny new Ford Truck..what else might fall off?? I do agree that in most cases we are wasting our $ on Extended Warranties but are we wasting our money on Rv and truck Insurance also..The odds are we will never use them??? It is a big gamble.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #25
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm thinking GM went to a 100K mile drivetrain warranty. Wish I had that on mine. Brad, thanks for that info. I just couldn't believe Wayne would be outside the warranty on that item.

BTW, my son just had a new Ford tranny installed in his F350 bucket truck. Ford is warranting the tranny for 100,000 miles. Now, that ain't bad in my opinion.

I'm not very brand loyal. Whomever makes me the best deal on what I need is what I will be driving. It is GMC this go round. It may be a Ford next. Or maybe a Dodge. I sure hope all of them don't belly up on us.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich, they didn't sell me anything except a truck with a factory warranty, that should cover Waynes issue. The extended warranty discussion is really confusing this thread.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #27
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Number one 6.0 diesels do not have a CPS like the 7.3's do. Number two,When I bought my truck which was a 2000 in 2001 and had 24k mies they changed the warranty free as they told me that they warranty the truck and not the owner. I would think that should apply on all things because they warranty the product and not the owner.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #28
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We did not know the year or engine size when we made the comment about the CPS. The conditions described were exactly what I experienced when my CPS went bad.

Thanks for pointing out the change.

Still the item that was broken certainly should have been covered by the basic warranty! It is simply too integral a part to not be included!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote