Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #21
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Several years ago say in the early 70’s during the gas crisis. The company I worked for at the time required all of us to go through training on how to save gas. We would drive approximately a ½ mile course utilizing our normal driving habits. Then we were told ways to help save gas by simply changing our driving habits a little. We would then drive the same course again taking the advice that was given. This calculated that it would definitely save a little just by simply changing our driving habits. Some of the things we were taught to do was to simply use less braking when approaching a stop by letting off of the gas sooner. Don’t make fast starts. There are several things that can make a difference and the economic benefits are directly related to driving habits that we have. This test proved to me that it can and does make a difference.

However, I don’t think our humongous gas guzzlers will be able to see that big of a change especially while towing. Possibly as previously mentioned it might help us to simply drive at a lower speed in some cases. Everyone’s habits are different but I believe this is the key on saving fuel. I wish there was some sort of a magical solution but I don’t believe there is. We pay more for the cost of fuel now and the money has to come from somewhere, whether it be cutting expenses somewhere else or increasing the income some how. I see no other alternative other than driving less.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

Several years ago say in the early 70’s during the gas crisis. The company I worked for at the time required all of us to go through training on how to save gas.
Bill, I would bet MANY companies today are now requiring their employees to take that kind of a course.

I think what we have here is two different types of readers on this topic:

1. Some are on the road and want to find some tricks/tips to help save some money on gas, and

2. Some are NOT on the road and want ideas on how to get back on the road.

Big difference between #1 and #2. Some of #1's tips, while useful to a lot of us, are not enough of a savings to help the #2's. So we need tips for both groups, probably. Or maybe 2 different threads?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To ole Rich it is fairly simple. Your expenses can not exceed your income. When that happens or you can see that it is going to happen again simple.Decrease expenses or increase income. That is what we are taking about here. Some of us are fortunate enough to not be concerned about that..that is a good thing. Many of us are looking for ways to keep our dreams alive.Perhaps this will pass in 4 or five years but to many of us years are precious and it may be to late in 4 or 5 years. My favorite saying as Dave knows. is.." if you want something bad enough..You will find a way to make it happen." Dave and Cheryl are living examples of that. Both Helen and I have to work to keep our dreams alive and cut back on many things we like to do. We don't like it but that is how we .."make it happen."....

And....you got to have a plan..... Oh..there is an alternative..We can just give up.. That is not going to happen..

On edit... Going through a pile of mail our neighbor brought over after 7 days on the road. Was a letter from the board of Trustees of the private school that I drive School and Charter bus for. We are treated as staff as everyone else and are on contract year to year. They advised me that my contract was renewed for the year July 1 2008 to July 1 2009 with a significant increase in pay. As a way to "make it happen" I have been driving school and charter bus for , this will be my 9th year, 4th year with these folks. This is how we paid for our trucks, the 3400 and what pads our travel budget. I had told them that I could not drive much as we are gone most of the winter..they renewed me anyhow, Did last year also..these are treal nice folks.. BTW..I had never been IN a School bus in my life till I started driving one.. Point...You can " make it happen"

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, I have a few ideas to save some money.
I just got Fifteen cents off a gallon of averaged priced gas for my Super Duty. We have a local grocery store that has a gas station on the property. We were customers way before the station was built. If you get around $50.00 worth of groceries, you get $$ off gas.
We bought $165.00 in groceries today, (the cupboard was bare...)
I got $56.00 or so worth of gas, that was priced at the areas average.
I know Wally World has discounted fuel as well.
They had a few Kansas City area T-shirts for $9.50 for sale in the station, they offered Ten cents off a gallon of fuel if you bought one of them. This may not be workable, but in certain conditions, it may. (Birthday gifts??)
We use the Green Debbie Meyers veggie bags, I have never had two heads of lettuce last three weeks before, they look like the day we bought them, (only have one left...) also a big bag of Strawberries that are as fresh as when we bought them weeks ago. I give the bags a stamp of approval. They don't work with 'nanners for some reason.
I am throwing out bartering as an idea, one could possibly trade a service for another??
Hard times call for creative ideas, think 'outside of the box.'
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #25
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well Ozz how did you like that new ford powered by hydro sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Interesting...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We also have grocery stores around (not many) that give a discount on gas with the purchase of a certain amount of groceries. They have limits, though, on how much fuel - 15 gals, I think on the one example I am thinking of.

You need to check with these places first, though to see if this deal includes diesel. Some don't - gas only discount. We also have a quickstop (independent) that gives a 5¢ discount on gas or diesel for cash (or check).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #28
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have a few local stations that give you $.04 a gallon discount if you come inside to pay for the fuel! Guess they figure they will get you to buy something else while you're in there but most people don't!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #29
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Here is an idea that I don’t think has been mentioned. Some credit card company’s are offering discounts for using their card by giving you cash back. I can’t say that I’ve actually looked into doing this but it might make it a worth while effort. This is also assuming that you can pay the card off each billing cycle without paying interest.

On edit; text deleted, moved to it's own thread.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use Discover for fuel purchases and they give a cash back discount..every little bit helps.. Also speedway Rewards program..That helps also; remember you need to pay those credit cards off before the end of the month or the finance charge negates any savings
Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #31
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
When I quit working, we made a conscious decision to get rid of the second car. At that time, we realized that it would require some giving on both parts and with Suanne still working, finding creative ways for getting her to work and my being able to get to places when I needed to. Fortunately, her job is only 10 to 15 minutes from the house. She also only normally works 3 days a week (she is a nurse). So I get up with her at 5:00 and take her to work. We also consolidate trips and plan our driving so that we don't make unnecessary trips to grocery stores or Wal Mart. We make one large trip to the commissary (retired military) every two weeks and try to meal plan so that we get everything in one trip. Without the trailer the truck averages about 20 mpg (diesel) and we have reduced fill ups to about once every 10 days.

I second many of the ideas that Rich reiterated. We still have one son at home but when he graduates, the phone land line and DSL will disappear. We are planning now for three months on the road next summer. Although some people think we are going overboard, by planning now and setting aside funds for our travel, the hurt is not as great and we will still be able to do the things we want to do.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #32
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

To ole Rich it is fairly simple. Your expenses can not exceed your income.
I agree, and it is fairly simple to me as well.

I wish somebody would tell the local, state, and federal governments. AND, like us, if you need more money for something, reallocate what you have rather than raising our taxes!!
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Schazam Tom.. You and I have discoved a new ecomonic system...Do not spend more than you have..and cut spending if it looks like you will
Do you think we can sell that concept.