Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
travel brochures? organization...

I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this question or not, but....
We have gathered so much information from the various states that we have traveled and I would like to save most of it for future reference. Has anyone come up with a wonderful way to file information such as: tourists spots, campground maps, shopping, great places to eat, routes to travel, etc. etc.

I do have the RV Notebook program on the computer, but would like something in addition to this.

I'm thinking maybe an accordian file with the different states but I can see that this would be filled quickly. Thanks for any help
Sandy

slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thinking space and weight, have you considered scanning as much of this as possible, organize on hard drive by State or Province?? or however it seems logical for you.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sandy,
Have you thought about using a spread sheet, such as Excel,or the Open Office version. The bottom tabs(page/worksheet) could be the states, and on each worksheet you could organize by categories. I used to have MS Access, but I gave it up for the new 2007 version of MSOffice. It would be easy to design a database using MSAccess and it could be exported to a spreadsheet, and vice versa. If you have a spreadsheet you could share it with others and if they were only comfortabel in working with MSAccess, they could import the spreadsheet.

Tell me what your categories are and I'll see what I can throw together in a spreasheet.

Also, what RV notebook program do you have. Is the template shareable? I've been lookinf for a logging program, but might have to design something in Excell
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Sandy ... We started out with lots and lots of travel info we'd collected prior to beginning our full-time adventure and hauled it around for two years. Besides the weight, it was a real pain finding room for all of it. And most of the time, we forgot to refer to it! We discovered that most, if not all, of that info can be found on the Internet. So, we created folders on our desktops and dumped all of the brochures and stuff and freed up an entire cabinet!

Whenever we go to a new area, we stop at state and local Visitor Centers and not only pick up brochures and vacation guides, but we try to talk with the attendant about places to see and things to do ... many of them are the most amazing sources of local information. This way we get the most up-to-date information, as well. When we're done with the printed materials, we toss them ... into a recycling bin, whenever one is available.

It's always a battle to keep "stuff" from accumulating in the Montana ... this method of dealing with sightseeing info works well for us.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Sandy, we actually stopped a woman on the street in Folly Beach, S.C. to ask her where to eat. We found a wonderful place that way, and there was no brochure or web site that would have told us that. Like Carol says, sometimes you just have to ask the question to the right person!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:38 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will echo what Vickir said.. Maps grow outdated as do brochures. The internet is a wealth of current information, Local Visitors bureaus, chamber of commence, etc.We had years of 'stuff" that we tossed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Ditto what's been said above. A matter of what works for you. Most RV parks have a certain number of brochures available about the area, and you can visit visitor bureaus, chambers of commerce, etc., and asking locals yields good info. Before you leave on a trip you can find info on the internet and print what you want, then recycle when you are finished with it. I have a plastic file box with accordian file inside and info is filed by state. I'm finding that I don't reference it as much as I thought and will be tossing most of it during spring cleaning.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I do appreciate all the help you guys have offered. I guess I will just keep the info on the laptop, but I hate to toss out all the printed material, it seems to be such a waste of art, information and more importantly the trees. But you are all correct-it adds weight and bulk to our already bulging "home". Thanks and now let the tossing begin....
Sandy
Wayne, we bought the RV Notebook at the 2006 Goshen rally. I don't know if they are still available or not, but I'm sure that someone will come along and answer. It is a very neat program, monitors scheduling of RV and TV maintenance as well as keeping track of campgrounds, pictures, and even travel budgeting. It also has reporting capabilities.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sandy,
Is this it:

http://www.rvnotebook.com/
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Yes that's it! I didn't know if they were still available as the gentleman that developed this and sold it at the rally has since died. I use it but not to it's full advantage. I keep track of all the campgrounds we've been to.
Sandy
Old 02-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Sandy, we actually stopped a woman on the street in Folly Beach, S.C. to ask her where to eat. We found a wonderful place that way, and there was no brochure or web site that would have told us that. Like Carol says, sometimes you just have to ask the question to the right person!
Emmel, we do that same thing to find out about the best place for pizza, steak, hamburgers, whatever. We have been directed to some amazingly good places that we would have not considered going into on our own had they not been recommended. Only a couple of times out of many have we not agreed that the recommended place was a good choice.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote