Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Thieves

Well, it happened to me and I wasn't alone. I keep the Monty at a very secure storage facility and have for the past three years off and on. Sometime between Dec. 17th and last evening some low lifers decided to go shopping at the rv storage area. This place has lights and 30+ cameras all recording every movement in the facility.

I didn’t fair too badly as at least they had the decency to unlock the basement doors and front storage areas and not tear anything up. I thought it was a little weird. I do a double walk around when I leave each time, so the first thing I noticed is the propane lockers had one twist lock open on each side, then I noticed the other storage doors having the keyed twist lock opened. They used the old CH751 key.

Here’s the good part, I had my tire monitoring system in the basement, the first time I ever did that. I had just replaced the transmitter batteries before I left the last time and the receiver had to acquire the transmitters, I had planned to leave on a trip next day but illness set in and I cancelled the trip. The idiots took the receiver only and left all the transmitters on the tires. It must have looked like a gps to them in the dark. Right beside the receiver on the wall in the basement was $250 worth of rods and reels. They didn’t bother them.

Anyhow, others suffered more. A new diesel motor home, all fuel siphoned, another new Class ‘C’, storage areas emptied, and all gas siphoned, another towable had the spare removed. It was just us in the back section that got hit. Police are reviewing recordings but I don’t have much hope that it will lead anywhere.

Would have replacing the CH751 locks have done anything in this case, would they have just moved to another unit, or would all my doors been destroyed in the process. Who knows.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I think you are right. We can replace the items a lot easier than trying to replace doors.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We leave the doors unlocked on our lot to keep from buying doors as well as TVs etc. the police finally caught some of our thieves and we haven't had any more trouble.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You know what it's really no big deal all of this stuff can be replaced. If I caught someone stealing something of mine I wouldn't say a word. If you do they might have a gun and kill you. It is just not worth it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My storage lot is protected by the finest Special Operations Security Forces in the AF. Never had anything stolen. Hopefully your thieves with be caught and that nonsense with stop.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Those doors are easily opened and broken, with a screwdriver. When in storage, which is rare, I remove valuable items from the storage compartments. For my model, when the slides are closed, the only place you can get to is the bathroom. I installed a secondary switch which prevents most people from figuring out how to open the slides. I have padlocks on the propane tanks.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I did change my locks, but then again we full time now so if we're gone and someone isn't deterred by the new locks maybe the sound of forcing the doors will get them caught.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Did the cameras show anything about who the thieves were???
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

My storage lot is protected by the finest Special Operations Security Forces in the AF. Never had anything stolen. Hopefully your thieves with be caught and that nonsense with stop.
Mike
Don't be too comfortable with that arrangement, I recall several on-base RV storage area break-ins where we were stationed.

High school aged dependents were the culprits each and every time, the majority of the "gang" (apprehended after the fact) were officers kids, with a smattering of NCO and Airman dependents, out to cause a little mayhem. Slashed upholstery, broken mirrors and cabinet doors, urinating and defecating on the beds, drinking of any alcohol left in the rigs, etc., etc.

There were some light paychecks and dressing downs over the whole affair, with some kids unable to sit comfortably for quite a while after receiving their corporal punishments, not to mention being grounded for life. ...pretty sure there were some very delayed, and overlooked-for-promotions in the deal too.

Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine was broken into several years ago, also in a gated, video monitored, "secure" storage facility. They cut the fence on the back side.
Opened my basement doors with a screwdriver or something. But no damage at all to the doors. Barely even left a mark. About the only way you could even tell was the tabs on the locks were bent back at about a 45 degree angle.
Fortunately they did not go inside. On a couple others they broke the glass in the entry doors, reached thru and unlocked them, and got stuff from the inside.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
The cameras are still being reviewed. They did find a copy of a CH751 key laying on the pavement not far from the entry point.It was a copy, not an original.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sounds like these guys were in the place for a long time. Not only that but if they stole diesel and gasoline then they almost had to have a truck or some sort of vehicle. Sort of sounds like an "inside" job. Usually these guys are wanting to get in and out in a real hurry. Hope the cameras caught some good pics. Sorry for your loss. Keep us updated. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Oh man that's awful, sorry. I've never had an issue, but I'm sure my day is coming. On the old RV I did replace the locks, but as others have said, a screwdriver or a small crowbar and they can easily get in. On the bright side, you'll be get some brand new equipment soon!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It could be worse. Someone could contact the local television station news departments, then they could make videos of all the damage and loss, then show it over and over to give the lowlife morons sitting at home waiting for some ideas on what to steal next, how to do it, and realize how easy it is.

This world is so full of easy opportunities for thieves and just need to be reminded what to do with the news stations thinking they have an obligation to report everything to anybody.

I'm not safe either and know it. I park my rig in my driveway and I'm still waiting for my victimization. Sure, I use locks and it's behind a big fence, but as we all know, fences can be climbed and locks are for honest people. Use your imagination what could happen to my rig.

I kinda agree with Dennis since all this took place in a storage area with 30 cameras and the thefts took some time. Then there's a good chance the cameras were turned off, then what? You can't arrest an employee for burglary for turning off cameras, and this would only delay the investigation.

Take care, nosticks. May the rest of the year just get better from here.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Really no way to prevent that. We have little confidence in storage Areas for Rv's but many have no choice. We are able to keep ours on our property when at home and we live in it when we are not at home.

the best way to go is not to leave anything of value in the Rv when in storage a hassle but what are the choices.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 AM   #16
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Sorry to here that, I've been a victim too. Hope they catch them.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote