Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Lightning "Strike"

Lightning struck the next-door neighbor's outbuilding a week ago. Aside from the extensive damage the power surge did to our house (still struggling with that), I just realized today that the Monty took part of the hit.

After the event, I went out to the Monty (2006 329RLT Mountaineer) and found only that the bathroom GFCI had popped. I re-set it, turned on the kitchen light and noticed that the microwave had power, and went back to the house.

Today I realized that the "RECEPT" circuit breaker had popped. It will not re-set. There is nothing plugged in anywhere in the trailer. I also saw that the battery warning lamp in the system monitor (added-on) was flashing, so it looks as though the batteries are no longer charging, either. I'm thinking that the power surge took out the battery charging system which may be part of the RECEPT circuit.

Any electrical geniuses in the group? I'd like to do some more checking before I surrender and take the 5er to the service dude.

Thanks,
Doof.

doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm no genius but sometimes receptacles will get fried and their last heroic deed is to turn off the circuit and die, never to recover. I carry spare GFCI receptacles for this reason. Hopefully, replacing this will help.

If not, then another thing that can happen, is that as the GFCI dies trying to protect its circuit the main circuit breaker for that circuit might also have to be replaced because it was also affected. If the circuit breaker is faulty the GFCI will not reset. That's happened to me too. Replace the circuit breaker as well. You'll need to use a good Volt meter to verify voltage is provided at the circuit. Compare it to other circuits and if it only shows that circuit failing it's probably the GFCI receptable or the circuit breaker that supplies the voltage. If it's dead in a bunch of circuits then the power distribution panel could have been damaged.

DO NOT do any repairs while the rig is plugged into power and ensure the main circuit breaker is also off when messing with wiring. But the power is required to test circuits.

This may not require a service call to fix these regardless of your confidence if it appears to be a circuit breaker or GFCI outlet. Just make sure all the power is off. The circuit breaker and outlets are controlled by power distribution panel in your rig. Make sure there is NO power - with a trailer this is easy because you just don't plug into shore power or turn on your generator and you don't have to worry about the batteries.

1.) To replace an outlet receptace, remove the outlet panel (on or two screws) and place aside, then remove the screws holding the receptacle to the wall box. Note the position of the receptacle and label each wire (the power is off, so don't worry!!!). Then loosen each wire screw and pull the wire out. Then position the new receptable and put the wire back into position and retighten the wire screws. Then put the receptacle back into place - the power wires are pretty stiff so this might require some effort, but they are VERY durable, so again no worries. Screw the receptacle back in place, then put the outlet cover back on. DONE! Now aren't you shocked at how much you pay a service dude to do this? The secret is out.

2.) For a circuit breaker, remove the covers from the power panel and remove the screws holding in the plastic cover and frame. This will expose a bunch of circuit breakers. Identify the circuit breaker and unscrew its hold down screw. Then from the top pull downward and this will release the circuit breaker from position. Pull it out and locate the wire screws. Unscrew them and pull out the wires (there should only be a white one and a black one). Take the breaker to your hardware store and have them match it up (amperage and type). Then reverse the procedure to replace it. Again, another secret revealed.

After this it becomes rocket science. If these do not solve your problem then contact "Ozz" or "H. John Kohl". If they can't help then a service call may be needed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check the fuse in the converter, if I remember correctly it has one. I would think if you got hit, many things would be not working, electronics being the most vulnerable.
Not sure what is in the recept circuit, maybe someone can help out. If you can unhook the load on that circuit it will be telling.
Good luck.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I can see what ISN'T working, anyway. I'll get back to you. Right now it looks as though all receptacles except for the microwave (which has its own circuit) and the GFCI receptacles in the bath & kitchen. And the charger...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
All the receptacles in the GFCI circuit are working. None of the others is working. I don't see anything obvious like burn marks on the covers, so tomorrow I'll go back out there and pull off some receptacle covers.

If I turn the refrigerator on AUTO, it comes on using the propane, so something's wrong there, too. And the battery charger makes up the last of what I definitely know is not working. I need to get an extension cord and check the TV and home theater tomorrow, too.

I found a fuse in wiring near the batteries, but haven't found the charger yet. Need daylight.

Furnace, air, slides, pump, and all the 12V circuits are working.

More to come. Sure wish Montana would publish electrical schematics for their products.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Our 2006 Mountaineer has a GFCO converter in it. The fuses are on the converter (two 30 amp ATC).
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It is very common for a GFI to blow out from a power surge (been there, done that). I actually had a GFI make a loud screech after a power surge - yeah that was kind of scary! Since the GFI protects everything else after it, when it goes dead, so will everything else wired from that point forward. Since you can new ones for $20 or less at Lowes or Home Depot, that's the first thing I'd replace.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I still haven't found the charger. Grrrr..... Does anyone here have a 2006 329RLT that knows where it is?

I had to add to my post the damage done to my neighbor's workshop, which is about 50 feet away from my Monty. The blast (or whatever) blew the soffits out in several places and actually blew the electrical switches and wall outlets from the walls! Eek! Glad he wasn't out there putting gas in the lawn mower when THAT happened!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Sorry ours is a 2006 3500, but on ours, the converter is located behind a panel in the basement which has a couple screen type latches holding the panel in place. Turn them down and the panel slides out. Maybe yours is similar?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I have a 2006 329RLS

Pretty much the same layout, the converter is located behind the Power Center, in the Kitchen Cabinet, you are Face to Face with it when you come in the door.

You will have to pull the Power Center out of the cabinet to access the converter.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
THANK YOU! I will check it out Monday when I get back.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Success! At least I know what's broke...

I took the power panel off and found the converter. Both fuses were intact. I tried turning on several lights (which normally gets the converter's fan running), but the fan did not come on. Bad converter?

After taking a closer look, I saw that the converter is plugged into a receptacle on the back of the panel. That receptacle is spliced into the "receptacles" breaker! I unplugged the converter, re-applied shore power, and the receptacles breaker would set OK. AND... the refrigerator would turn on to AC also!

So it was a short in the converter somewhere that was causing the circuit breaker to not stay set. And either the fridge is on that same circuit, or is somehow controlled by that circuit. Funny how the power surge did not burn up the fuses in the converter, but shorted out the unit instead. I have one on order, so we should be back to normal in a week or so.

Thank you to those who showed me where to find the converter!