Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
Dan Giacalone
Established Member

M.O.C. #24705
Remote for 2012 Montana

I am a "new" owner of a 2012 3852rl. The rig was bought new in 2012 by the previous owner. He replaced the battery for me the day before I picked it up. He was upset it was not working. All equipment works just not the remote. LCI says it has to be linked to the trailer after battery replacement.
I called Keystone asking where is the board on the trailer is mounted and they said it could be in many places. Plus the lady said they recommend a dealer do this because of electricity danger???
Is this true and does anybody know where the board is located?
Thanks

Dan Giacalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I don't know where it is located on your model. All of them I have seen are either in the front compartment where the battery is or the basement storage area, drivers side. What a BS answer from keystone about the electrical danger. You are just pairing a battery operated remote with a 12v control module. LCI should have provided you the procedure to link the units.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
From experience I know you don't have to link the remote to the trailer after replacing the battery in the remote. I have replaced mine a few times without any issues.
I would check to see if the battery was installed correctly in the remote and that it is the right battery.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Throw the remote away. A waste of time and effort in my opinion. We used it a little years ago but it is safer for you to be looking at what you are doing.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Dan Giacalone
Established Member

M.O.C. #24705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
From experience I know you don't have to link the remote to the trailer after replacing the battery in the remote. I have replaced mine a few times without any issues.
I would check to see if the battery was installed correctly in the remote and that it is the right battery.
Thanks, LCI the maker told me you have to link it. I may listen to other folks that said throw it away and watch everything operate.
Dan Giacalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Check to make sure the 12vdc battery is in correctly. Pairing is just pushing a bottom on the receiver module and any button on the remote. The receiver should be a black potted electronics assy with lots of inline fuses connected to it. More than likely on the back wall in the front compartment above Tha battery.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I disagree about throwing the remote away.
You have more control when you are putting your slides out when using the remote as you will be right there watching your slide ensuring you never hit anything.
Same for putting out the landing legs. If the ground is not level you can easily make sure you have enough blocking under a leg without having go back and forth to the stationery control to ensure the trailer goes up level with no frame torque. The rear stabilizers are also easier as you are right there instead of at the front.
Putting the awning in and out is also another benefit.
I would never go without one.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
I disagree about throwing the remote away.
You have more control when you are putting your slides out when using the remote as you will be right there watching your slide ensuring you never hit anything.
Same for putting out the landing legs. If the ground is not level you can easily make sure you have enough blocking under a leg without having go back and forth to the stationery control to ensure the trailer goes up level with no frame torque. The rear stabilizers are also easier as you are right there instead of at the front.
Putting the awning in and out is also another benefit.
I would never go without one.
I second that opinion. Use mine every trip for the same reasons.

My 'board" is above the batteries on the bulkhead. There is a Blue or Red button on the board. Press it and then quickly press the bottom center button or maybe the one above it and you will be connected.
prndl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I too have a 2012 with the remote and I would not be without it. Changing the battery does not affect the communication link. I had to replace my remote a while ago (stolen with truck) and it had to be paired. I seem to recall the instructions are printed on the control module which is mounted on the back wall of the front compartment (aka Garage).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
whitesub93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Giacalone View Post
I am a "new" owner of a 2012 3852rl. The rig was bought new in 2012 by the previous owner. He replaced the battery for me the day before I picked it up. He was upset it was not working. All equipment works just not the remote. LCI says it has to be linked to the trailer after battery replacement.
I called Keystone asking where is the board on the trailer is mounted and they said it could be in many places. Plus the lady said they recommend a dealer do this because of electricity danger???
Is this true and does anybody know where the board is located?
Thanks
I have a 2012 3582RL and when I changed the remote battery I had to reprogram it. Very simple process. The board on mine was located above the batteries on the wall and had the instructions on how to sync it on it. VERY simple.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Remote? Hell, that’s what copilots are for.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Throw the remote away. A waste of time and effort in my opinion. We used it a little years ago but it is safer for you to be looking at what you are doing.
I agree, more trouble that its worth. Battery goes dead fast. Tried ours for a bit and gave up.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #13
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
If it's this remote, I've found that it does NOT need to be relinked with the 'brain' when you replace the battery. Check the battery orientation first then go out and give it a try. If like ours, the LCD screen may have failed after being dropped once too often. If that is so, you can count down the button clicks for the component operation and it will work just fine. I have a new one (RVUpgrades, $120) but as yet haven't done the linking on the 'brain' which is mounted in the battery compartment, just above them. The instructions are on line as well. Oh and did the previous owner show you how it works. It isn't intuitive. If no, one of us or I can walk you through the routine.

On ours, the first 4 clicks are the slides, then next, awning, front landing gear then the rear stabilizers. I will be linking the new one shortly but want to wait until the summer camping season is over, JIC I have a problem

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I really like having one. On ours you have to press the LCI button at the bottom, and then the ON button right above it in order to use it. When the connection is successful, the Scare light on the door side will flash momentarily. Sometimes, I have to do it more than once if it times out between using functions while I'm setting up or closing up. The label on the back says it will time out after 5 minutes.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A 2012 Montana came with this style remote. There were several different faceplates depending on the Montana model (don't ask me why, I discovered this when I had to replace mine). I have changed the battery 3 times in 8 years and have never had to re-pair with the "brain" on the garage wall. I don't understand those who say the remote burns batteries. Albeit, I mostly use the remote to adjust the height of the pin who hooking up so maybe only 3 batteries in 8 years is normal?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Transmitter.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	4765

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #16
whitesub93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22946
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
A 2012 Montana came with this style remote. There were several different faceplates depending on the Montana model (don't ask me why, I discovered this when I had to replace mine). I have changed the battery 3 times in 8 years and have never had to re-pair with the "brain" on the garage wall. I don't understand those who say the remote burns batteries. Albeit, I mostly use the remote to adjust the height of the pin who hooking up so maybe only 3 batteries in 8 years is normal?

Attachment 4765
That's the one I have.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
JuneDewey

M.O.C. #9697
Remote for 2012 Montana

I disagree that you should use the remote all the time. My husband liked to use it when we first got ours. Then some poles shifted inside the trailer that we had on the floor for transport. The slipped back by the chairs. When he opened the slide, it caught the chair and caused damage to the trim on the slide. Was an easy fix, but totally unnecessary. We now open slides from inside so you can watch to make sure nothing has shifted. Only time we use the remote is from the living room to roll out the canopy to dry it when at home.
JuneDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I have a 2012 3150RL with a remote control. The "board" for the remote functions in mine is in the front storage compartment where the batteries are located. Looking from the front, the "board" is high up on the right-hand side. The various connections are labeled for the items they control. I have disconnected my batteries several times and never had to re-sync the remote to the "board". This applies to battery replacement too. We use Lippert Carpet Protectors on both of our living room slides. I use the remote for the large slideout because one of the carpet protectors likes to slide when the slideout is being retracted. Using the remote, I can stand on the carpet protector until there is enough weight on it to keep it from sliding. Of course, if DW is available then that is her job. In that case I use the switch on the control panel. My remote looks like the one posted by Carl n Susan above.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #19
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
Hate to disagree, but on previous Mountaineer, was extending outside making sure the slide missed a pole. Suddenly, the slide shook, popped loudly and continued. Went inside and a recliner had moved, strapped down but still moved, wedged and had shattered the inside slide facade. Looked like a bomb went off. Slides win over recliners usually but the wood facade was the week link. Was able to put everything back together, but still a bad day.
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #20
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Our 2010 Mountaineer has the same remote as DRKNAPP. I only use the remote, unless I forget to bring it. It's much easier to view the hitch pin height, to position blocks under the rear stabilizers and to open the slides. I can stand outside and watch for tree clearance on the slides or be inside checking nothing is behind the slide flanges, or to operate the awning as soon as I unhook the tie downs if the wind has increased. I wouldn't be without it.

The first batteries in our remote lasted a couple of years. The replacement batteries from Interstate Batteries only last about a year. But we never have to do any pairing. Just replace the battery and it works.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote