Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 03:10 AM   #21
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I went to the dealer yesterday and they only have one 3400RL in stock. I was told that they aren't taking any orders for the 2007 models as the prices aren't out yet The FVer has the filon siding and not the gelcoat and it has the aluminum rims. The tires were going flat, I was actually looking at the make of the tire on the rig and the salesman asked "are you looking at the rims? I guess you saw the boxes in the cargo hold, there was a problem with those rims and they sent us replacement." I guess I missed posts about the rims.... anyone with information without me doing a search? Do these new rims fix the problem?

Question for those that have ordered your FVer. How long did the tell you that you would have to wait for your order? They are telling us that it will be at least 10 weeks, and that we can't even order until the new prices are out at the end of June.

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:19 AM   #22
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Not sure I have ever heard of not being able to put in an order cause prices have not been set. New one on me. (boo hoo hoo)

Lots of chatter bout the rims, do a search, yep!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:10 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were told @ 8 weeks for delivery of our 3400 and that was about right.We agreed on a price and signed the contract to buy Before the new cap, Docking station and Mor-ryde suspension were offered. The agreed upon price did not change although we got all that stuff.Your dealer just does not want to commit to a price.Maybe tell them you will oredr from someone else now and see if they change their mind???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:21 AM   #24
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
2 points I want to make.

1. Topper awnings do cost more, but what they save you in reducing the radiated heat from the slides and the hassle of cleaning the tops of the slides everytime you park under a tree makes them well worth the few extra dollars.

2. I just passed 100,000 on my 2002 F-250. I have been shopping around for Ford, GMC, etc. and found that GMC will not accept special orders for their 3500 Duramax now. GMC has completed their 2006 runs and are tooling up for the 2007. The dealers don't even have prices for the 2007 vehicles yet nor do they have a list of options. Frustrating, to say the least.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #25
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have the fireplace and really like it ..great for those nippy mornings, my dh put this in. We also went with slide toppers and awnings and would not do without them. This way dh doesnt have to sweep the slides and the awnings shade the sun
We have the filon siding and are happy with it.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #26
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I want to add my 3 cents worth. I do not have the slide toppers and I think it is a big mistake to not have them. We have our unit parked beside the house and it is under a tree and we are getting ready to head for Florida for vacation. I had to get an extension ladder, put on the side climb up and take a broom to clean off the top of the slides - all kinds of limbs and junk up there, plus it has been raining here - any body ever hear of it raining in Indianapolis in the month of May ? Just not a pleasant experience - the top of the coach was wet I am trying to clean off slides and dry them as I don't want all this stuff inside and the same time asking my wife if she would consider buying me a parachute. If I fall off of there I could get some sky diving experience.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #27
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Ok guys and gals,

I just got off the phone to a dealership in Houston and they seem to be willing to order a 2007 model for me. They are supposed to call me back tomorrow and give me a price with and without several options.

For those of you that have the awnings over your slides, do you have a problem with debris getting under them? Do you have to worry about pulling them in when it is real windy?

Old 05-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Windy, nope, they have springs on them, if you are only dealing with wind, they would just roll up as the slide runs in. When we have ice, snow and or rain water on them, first trick is to have NO one standing near by, or they are gonna get doused. Next trick (in our rig anyway) is to bring the slides in a bit, let the moisture roll off, then push the button again and bring it in a bit more. I may stop the slides 4 or 5 times depending on how much is up there.

Debris under, so far, knock on wood, nope, had some dust up there, finally cleaned for the first time this past winter in Texas. You could bring in bugs, and small toads and spiders, but we don't climb up there and check before we move the rooms in. I suppose some day we might get a rude awakening. Maybe the slide angels have been with us so far.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #29
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I had slide toppers on my Class A and wind was never an issue. I think once or twice a year I would take my driveway broom (has long handle) and run between the topper and the slide just to clear out any debri that may have collected and I don't remember it being that much.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:40 AM   #30
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
I guess I should have asked this question when I was asking about the debris.

How do you wash the top of your slides, are the awnings manual and you control them. I have seen them out on the Mobile Suites and they went out with the slide. Do these stay in if you want them to? Also do you have any idea of how long they will last you. The FVer that is near us doesn't have the awnings and they are asking about $1800 to install them. About $1600 to install the washer/dryer combo and $1300 for the second airconditioner.

Hopefully this time next week I will have ordered or bought a new 3400RL
Old 05-19-2006, 02:51 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Can't comment on the W/D install but the MSVRP from the factory on the awnings for the 3400 is less 1800.00 also the MSVRP on the factory A/C is WAY less than 1300.00.If you are not in a hurry I think you can do better ordering one.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:54 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Can't comment on the W/D install but the MSVRP from the factory on the awnings for the 3400 is less 1800.00 also the MSVRP on the factory A/C is WAY less than 1300.00.If you are not in a hurry I think you can do better ordering one.Why don't you get the dealers MSVRP for the 3400 you want with the options you want and let us take a look at it.The price list we have is from early 2006 and is no doubt incorrect now.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:05 AM   #33
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We do wash the slide toppers, whenever we do the roof, with a gentle long handled brush and awning cleaner. Rinse well.

The slide toppers go in and out with the slides, you cannot leave them retracted, they are NOT like the huge main awning that you can leave in the stored position for months on end. (Dicslaimer on last comment: They do make awnings for the main awning, that are automatic, a bit of wind and they go up. We would not have one, but that is just our decision, they make a lot of them, so obviously there are a lot of people that do like them and want them. Unless a running change has been made, Montana does not install automatic main awnings on their units.)

THERE ARE awnings for the windows, OntMont just got some, and I know there are others that have them as well, these are awnings that you put out at will, and shade the windows.

Slide toppers seem to be lasting, even for full timers like S Reigle for at least 3 years. Steve and Vicki have been out there for bout that amount of time, in all kinds of weather, sun, snow, rain, wind, and he is just now noticing some degradation of the fabric (Steve correct me on this if I am wrong!!! )

Old 05-19-2006, 04:38 AM   #34
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
In the for whats it worth department, IN march of this year, the second a/c from the factory or installed at the dealer before the sale, on our unit was 650.00. We took it . The slide toppers was 480.00 each , installed at the dealer. We passed.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:26 AM   #35
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Carol,

Thanks for the posts about the slide awnings. I have seen the automatic ones and have made up my mind that I wouldn't have them. One more question about the awnings, do you have a problem with mildew building up under the awnings? I know that on our current FVer we put the awning out and let it dry out after a rain to keep mildew from forming.

My thoughts on the dealer adding any additional things to the trailer on the lot are changing. If we buy the one there we will be adding things later if their prices are out of line. I will price the second AC through Camping World. I will do a search as I know some of you have just added that to you FV'er just recently.

I am still waiting for a quote from the dealer in Houston.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help you are giving me.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #36
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yes, sometimes you get mold and smelly stuff in the big awning when you roll it out. The smell usually only lasts a hour or so. Putting away clean as possible, as dirt + moisture = mold. But, even putting away clean you will get some smell when you unroll it if you have not used in a while. Just another one of those things that Al and I consider part of the experience. Live with it, deal with it, unroll the awning and go to your neighbors campsite for a beer! HAHA.

But, with all the smart and creative members here, maybe someone has a solution for this, again, we love hearing about everyone's fixes! I have learned so much over at that window spotting thread! If someone has fixes for this, BRING em on!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never been able to find a fool proof way to keep mold from forming in the rolled up awning. If we have to roll it up wet we wll put in down when we get home or as soon as we can to let it dry out. When rolled up outside during the winter months it gets wet and nasty..the good news is that it is not hard to clean in the spring...We had our second A/c, a low profile penguin, installed by the dealer for the same price as the factor installed A/C..this is a option you can deal on with your dealer.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #38
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Ok, I guess I can say that I am now almost an Montana owner. I just put the deposit down on the 3400RL will sign papers after Memorial Day. I told the salesman that I needed to do research on the PDI and some of the issues that have come up recently. He says he is willing to listen to any items that I find and to fix them before signing papers.

Rich,

Because of your posts about your FV'er I will go ahead of time and do a pre PDI and let them fix anything that I find. My salesman has told me that he will advise his service manager that I plan on going over it with a fine tooth comb and have him meet with me with my concerns before we show up on the final day to sign papers and do our final PDI. I would love to know about anything that you have found in yours that hasn't been covered on the boards. I will use my search engine, but all I seem to get lately is the little white screen. I am not sure that is because I have dial up or if I am not using the search engine correctly.

I am so excited......I am jumping up and down as I type. I just wish the kennel was sold and we were headed out somewhere to camp. The salesman told me to go camp some where for 3 days before hubby heads out on insurance losses. Unfortunately the kennel will keep us tied here so that won't happen. So the second best thing is that I will camp in it on my own property and use it just like I would if I was at a campground. Only I won't use the black water tank....I will walk into the house and just test the black water by just flushing the potty with water. We can dump the clear water here on our acreage.

You guys are the best, thanks for all of your suggestions and your wealth of information. I can't wait until I can add my 2 cents worth about actually staying in my MONTANA.... yee hah... can you tell I am excited.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #39
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
FAB!!!!!!!!!!!! What great news!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Go here, you will find a PDI link:

http://www.montanaowners.com/RVRelatedLinks.html

You go girl!! enjoy!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #40
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Driftwoodgal, according to many here on the forum, that enthusiasm lasts a very long time. I know you'll love this lifestyle.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote