Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
WATER PUMP WON'T SHUT OFF

I have a 2008 3605 Montana and set up yesterday. as usual the pump ran constantly due to air in the system, but this time opening a tap or two didn't allow the pump to shut off. When I open any tap I get a gurgling and some water but the pump can only be shut off at the switch. The trailer is pretty level. Any ideas out there as to what the solution is? Thanks for any help.

2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
sounds like your tank is empty, add water. If you are hooked to city water then check your winterize switch, it may be in the antifreeze sucking mode..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
If you filled your fresh water tank at the convenience centre you may have forgotten to switch back to "normal flow" from "fill". Been there done that.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bruiser's comment is my first thought.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
When I had this problem I tracked down to a leak on the suction side of the pump. All I had to do is snug up the screws on the pump head as I was pulling air in at that point. But it could also be at the connection on the suction also. Just a thought or two.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
First, the faucet should not be kept open for very long, just enough to purge some air. The water pump creates pressure and if something is open or there is a leak it will not achieve the pressure point for it to shut off.

If you know everything is closed up and the pump is still running then there is a loss of pressure somewhere. Either too much air is still somewhere in the plumbing or the tank or W/H are too low, or there is a leak somewhere that is causing the pressure loss.

Is there water running out anywhere under the rig? If there is a leak and you don't see water, then it's possible that the leak is in the walls or floors and it could take a while (and a lot of potential damage) before the water shows up. This could be hard to find. So let's hope it's one of the things already posted since those are the easy and obvious problems.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Well, its fixed. I took the trailer to where I could put it on city water, ran the air out of the system, and refilled the tank. I think I hooked up the hose (previous to this situation), to the antifreeze inlet instead of the city water inlet. Although the fresh water gauge showed 2|3 full, I think that it was not and was still close to empty.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote