Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Satellite TV Issue #3

Dish came out to our 2017 montana 3661rl and installed a tripod and two receivers and got everything working. The tech wired the two coaxs from the tripod to the coax connectors in the convenience compartment of the camper. We wanted a tailgater because of the simplicity of the auto satellite finder so we purchased a king dish tailgater. I called the dish tech back and he couldn't/cant get the bedroom walley to work. After plugging in the walley it goes out and finds the satellites and downloads the guide. Ive noticed it does not download all stations as the main walley in the living room does. Sometimes while watching the bedroom tv the screen will lock up, then you have to unplug the walley and start the entire reload again. what also happens is when you turn the tv and walley off and a few hours later turn everything back on you wont receive anything but a black screen, now you have to unplug the walley and start this download again. with the tripod we didn't have to do any of this. I went back to camping world and got another king tailgater but this didn't work either. we are ready to go back to the tripod but in the past we have had extreme difficulity finding the satellites. I guess my question is what are some tricks to finding satellites with the tripod? Next, what is wrong with the bedroom walley using the tailgater? The living room tv works great on either the tripod or tailgater.

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Did you turn off the booster button behind the bedroom tv? Did the tech do anything about the splitters that Keystone installs? From many posts on this subject it seems like splitters are the number one cause of satellite tv problems in these campers. Hopefully others with more personal experience will weigh in. In the meantime you might review the many satellite threads and posts that have already been posted.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
Traveling 3, this scenario is exactly what I fought with DISH about for months. Read my lips! EXACTLY! The problems with the secondary terminal on the Tailgater will never end, in my experience. I did the most toward giving us acceptable satellite operation by doing two things. (1) I drilled through the outside wall as close to the Wallys as I could get, and put a coax terminal there for each TV, wired directly to Wally, and (2) stopped trying to use the secondary on the Tailgater. Your channel selection is limited by what you can receive on the primary. DISH, in my opinion, is not a technically saavy solution. OK, wait, they may be technically saavy, but they certainly don't live up to their advertising hype, and don't deliver what they say they will.
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This is one reason why we have two dishes. One for each Wally.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
I have 1 dish .....1 hopper 2 ....and 1 wireless Joey.....no problems.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
I may get there sometime, but Heather and I are close enough in our habits that we can get along with one TV at a time for the foreseeable future.

What does DQ stand for?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Is that in your RV? I assume so. I just chatted with DISH about the Hopper, because you got me interested. So just for clarification, you aren't saying you can support 2 TVs simultaneously, are you, with that setup. DISH also says they don't recommend Hopper for an RV, but they wouldn't tell me why, other than it is meant for home use.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Is that in your RV? I assume so. I just chatted with DISH about the Hopper, because you got me interested. So just for clarification, you aren't saying you can support 2 TVs simultaneously, are you, with that setup. DISH also says they don't recommend Hopper for an RV, but they wouldn't tell me why, other than it is meant for home use.
I have a Hopper3 in our Montana that was installed by Dish at my request and it works just fine. We "feed" it with a 1000.2 dish with an EA HYBRID LNB mounted to a surveyor's tripod using a mount purchased from tv4rv.com. Takes about 10-15 minutes to setup when we move. No more recording conflicts with the 16 tuners!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Here are a few quick tips to setup your tripod.
Dish is somewhat more difficult as you are trying to hit satellites from 110, 119 and 129.

The first step is to make sure the mast on your tripod is completely plumb. I use a torpedo level and get 3 horizontal points fully level. I measure opposite of the three legs. Next, I do the same for the vertical using the same three points over the legs. It's a bit overkill, but IT WORKS!

If your in an area with wind, secure the tripod. There are several methods. I use 2-1 gallon jugs of water and tie them to the bottom of the mast. Recheck your levels.

Next, I set the skew and elevation. I do this on a bench or back of the pickup. DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR MAST. I find the specs using Dish pointers: http://www.dishpointer.com/
Enter the address, click on multi-LNB setups
scroll down to dish 1000.2, 110, 119 & 129
Set your dish based on these specs.

Now, mount your dish on the tripod fully tightening the bolts on the mast. Leave the mast slightly loose so that you can rotate the dish.

I normally don't bother with the azimuth as I have a meter that I attach to the coax to tune in the satellites. I fine tune to the meter, tighten the mast and I'm done.

My experience is that the more time I take to make sure the mast is plumb and that the elevation and skew is correct, the balance of the installation is very quick and easy.

Hope that helps

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
two dishs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
This is one reason why we have two dishes. One for each Wally.
do you have 2 tailgaters or 2 tripods?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I dumped my tailgater for a few reasons. One was the fact that it's one tuner, one show. I like the option to record multiple events and watch them when I want.

Secondly, if you need to move the tailgater too far from the rig, you might lose HD or SD signal. Lastly, the farther north, the more atmosphere you have to shoot through. I lost HD too often in rain or dew. Thus the tailgater is collecting dust in the garage.

One tripod can feed multiple receivers.

Ken
Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #12
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
satellite tv

Quote:
Traveling 3, this scenario is exactly what I fought with DISH about for months. Read my lips! EXACTLY! The problems with the secondary terminal on the Tailgater will never end, in my experience. I did the most toward giving us acceptable satellite operation by doing two things. (1) I drilled through the outside wall as close to the Wallys as I could get, and put a coax terminal there for each TV, wired directly to Wally, and (2) stopped trying to use the secondary on the Tailgater. Your channel selection is limited by what you can receive on the primary. DISH, in my opinion, is not a technically saavy solution. OK, wait, they may be technically saavy, but they certainly don't live up to their advertising hype, and don't deliver what they say they will.
I'm onboard with you on dish techs. ive had them out here twice with zero results, I'm surprised they even answer my phone calls. I'm not sure where the isuue is. I can connect both wallys to the tripod AND using the camper wall coax connectors in the convenience panel and both wallys/tvs work fine. we full time and travel frequently therefore I don't want to hassle with a tripod, maybe my solution is a roof mounted dish? Five tears ago we had dish and because of similar issues we bought out our contract. I thought maybe today because of falling satellite contracts do the popularity of streaming video, dish might have improved their services. silly me!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Dish is somewhat more difficult as you are trying to hit satellites from 110, 119 and 129.

The first step is to make sure the mast on your tripod is completely plumb. I use a torpedo level and get 3 horizontal points fully level. I measure opposite of the three legs. Next, I do the same for the vertical using the same three points over the legs. It's a bit overkill, but IT WORKS!

If your in an area with wind, secure the tripod. There are several methods. I use 2-1 gallon jugs of water and tie them to the bottom of the mast. Recheck your levels.

Next, I set the skew and elevation. I do this on a bench or back of the pickup. DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR MAST. I find the specs using Dish pointers: http://www.dishpointer.com/

Now, mount your dish on the tripod fully tightening the bolts on the mast. Leave the mast slightly loose so that you can rotate the dish.

I normally don't bother with the azimuth as I have a meter that I attach to the coax to tune in the satellites. I fine tune to the meter, tighten the mast and I'm done.

My experience is that the more time I take to make sure the mast is plumb and that the elevation and skew is correct, the balance of the installation is very quick and easy.

Hope that helps

Ken
Unless you happen to use the EA birds (61.5 & 72) like I do. I tune 72 and 61.5 just falls into place.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
satellite tv

Quote:
ive put away the tailgater for now and were back on the tripod. we full time in our rv and I'm trying to get the tailgater with 2 outputs to feed the living room and bedroom. the local techs said they don't know much about the 2 output tailgater (why?, its has dishs name all over the box) and they normally install single output tailgaters and tripods. I'm at a loss on this.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
satellite tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post

Hope that helps

Ken
Thanks Ken..im going to print this out and keep at the ready! Ill take all the help I can get.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Three View Post
ive put away the tailgater for now and were back on the tripod. we full time in our rv and I'm trying to get the tailgater with 2 outputs to feed the living room and bedroom. the local techs said they don't know much about the 2 output tailgater (why?, its has dishs name all over the box) and they normally install single output tailgaters and tripods. I'm at a loss on this.
Here is the reason. First, the tailgater has a very small dish inside the enclosure. It has a single LNB to lock on to one of the 3 satellites. The tailgater has software that finds each of the 3 satellites upon the initial power up. When watching a program, the tuner directs the tailgater to find the proper satellite and returns the signal to you with no user interface. If you were outside while changing channels, you'd hear the tailgater moving to latch on to the appropriate signal if on a different satellite (110, 119 or 129).

The single LNB is the reason you can only watch one program at a time. The second output is there to mirror the signal. Lastly, this is why they use the 211 receiver, one at a time.

When you use your tripod and full size dish, it is a triple LNB. Therefore it can receive signal from all 3 satellites at the same time, thus you can watch one channel while recording another. Also, you can watch different programming on a 2nd or 3rd tv.

Ken
Old 04-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
I have some issues with satelite input jacks at the area where the water valves are located. we have great performance with cable and antenna but I needed a satelite hookup and the tech could not get power to the tv... took the satelite input jacks out of thier resting place in the docking station and no coax to the back side. is there another way satelite power to the tv's. Keystone says trailer is out of warranty (three months) so no help from them.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote