Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Pure Power Tank Deoderizer

I tried this stuff, the green stuff, that says you only need 2 oz. WOW, my tank has never smelled worse. I typically use the Aqua Kem blue stuff, never had a problem with it at all, but I figured I would try the Pure Power, and man, i have to say, it STINKS.

Anyone else have any luck with this product?
I would recommend to stay away from it.

Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We use Happy Camper produced right here in southern Oregon. It is the best stuff out there. We never have an odor problem and it inexpensive and safe to use. Everyone we have told about this product has changed to it. We do not have any financial interest in it. It is just a good product.

http://www.vehiclespecialty.com/campers.html
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:21 AM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Sorry that you have had such bad luck with Pure Power. We have been using it for a year with excellent results--including no smell in 95 degree heat. The usage included a week of 85 degree temps when we had six adults using the facilities. Did you follow the direction to add a small bit of bread in the tank when you put in the Pure Power but the tank will not be used for a while? The product needs to have something to "feed on" if it is going to work. The product came recommended to us by the local dealer which uses it to "degunk" tanks which have been neglected past the point of normal cleaning. We figured that that would be sufficient to keep our tanks clean and it has proven to be true for us. On last usage this weekend, the tanks ran clear after a normal dump and a few minutes post dump flush. We have a clear drain insert so we know that it worked. Sure hope that you have better luck if you are willing to try it again!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We've read similar testimonials of Pure Power's prowess. We've been using it for about two months and have found it to be about as good as any other chemical. No better, no worse. We've also noticed a pretty stout odor when flushing the toilet for a long period (over 10 or 15 seconds) to add more water to the mix. On the other hand, can't say that the Wal-Mart house brand (Thetford, Campers Choice?) did any better. All in all, it appears that we need to be sure to have the toilet bowl valve open as little as possible. As this is a toilet in a fulltime rig, it is a primary waste disposal unit, and is probably doing as well as we can expect under the circumstances.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Our experience has been, the more water the better. Ya gotta dump more, but the more water, the less smell. We used NO chemicals, NONE for 2 months, very little smell, not what I would describe as "stout" tho. Also go easy on the TP, slightly used TP does not go in the toilet, but in the trash can (dumped every day).

Always a fun discussion, if you want to read more than you care to know, go to the Search feature!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We've used Pure Power for about 4 years and have had good luck with it. On really hot days we just add an additional 2 oz. Since we are fulltimers our tank is sloshed and flushed regularly, so that may make a difference.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7

Since we have been fulltiming (9 months) we don't use the blue or green stuff regularily just plenty of water when flushing, after black tank dumping add a couple inches back into the black tank, a bucket of soapy water after cleaning jobs etc.

Since we have put a gate valve at the end of the 3" dump line just ahead of the end cap we have not used our tank flush feature. It always seemed like there wasn't enough water and preasure going back into the tank to do a good flush job. What we do instead is:
--After we dump the black tank we we leave the black tank dump valve open and close the gate valve that was added at the end of the line. We then open the grey water tank valve to let the grey water backflush into the black tank. By the sound it seems that about 1/2 the grey water surges into the black tank and loosens up a whole bunch of paper and other contents that was laying on the bottom. Then we close the grey water tank valve and open the end of line gate valve all the way. The clear plastic elbow then shows a lot of paper and other stuff draining out of the black tank. When that stops we open the greywater tank again to flush the line and then close the black tank valve while the grey water is still draining. This probably leaves an inch or so of soapy water in the bottom of the black tank. We add another couple gallons of water to the black tank as the starter for next time. Works and no major odor problems.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, that is a terrific idea. We also have the extra gate valve but I've not tried it your way. I plan to do so in the future, though. Thanks for a great idea.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 AM   #9
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Steve / Vickie,

Happy flushing. Nice to hear from you again.

CONSTRUCTION REPORT:

Finally got all our subs lined up. Have the rough lot grading done and the basement excavation. Hope to see the concrete work (basement) start in 10 days.

Hope to have our hookups in and move Monty out there in about 30 days.
Stop in when you traverse the north US again.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:12 AM   #10
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We use nothing but Calgon. No odor and the "Level Indicators" when emptied show "empty". Also, add a little Calgon to "Gray water" and "kitchen sink tank". This tip was given in the MOC forum some time ago, I think about July last year.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
T and J
Established Member

M.O.C. #806
We have been using the Borax solution lately (the last two outings) and our gages are working for the first time since we bought the coach (used)two years ago! Haven't seen Calgon in any of the local stores.
I also installed the extra valve at the end of the line and a tank flush kit in the blank tank, things are definitely looking better!
One thing I would like to see, and I have suggested it, is the Grey water tank above or higher than the black tank, with a valve from the low end of the Grey tank to the high end of the black tank. Save water and easier black tank maintenance!
Terry
T and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Can anyone tell me where to find the calgon water softner? I have looked at alot of Wal~Marts and they do not carry it. The Borax seems like it doesnt want to dissolve....or can you get that in a liquid?
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:36 AM   #13
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I also use borax mixed in a gallon of warm water and shake it up dump it in the toilet.I mix another gallon and pour half down into each grey tank. I then mix orange sented dish soap in a gallon of warm water .One full one down the toilet and half each in the grey water tanks. I do this before we leave a park or home base,sometimes I add a five or ten pound bag of ice cubes down the toilet when we hit the road. This acts as agitation to break up waste and tp.Its the build up in all the places in that holding tank that causes the odors.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:05 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
campbud

Calgon water softener is sold in the laundry detergent area. They had it at Walmart last time I looked. You can get as a powder, or a liquid. I prefer the liquid in Montana. Personal thing, I don't like the thought of opening a box of powder and possibly having it spill out?? Or, having to find a sealed container to keep the powder in. So, I go lazy and use the liquid.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, how much liquid do you mix per gallon of water?
Thanks.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

We are very exact about this!

We open toilet, dump in some Calgon and dump in some liquid laundry soap and here and there dump in a LITTLE bit o bleach.

If I were guessing, I would say, ohhhhh, a cup of Calgon and cup of laundry soap, and maybe 1/3 cup bleach.

But, that is a WAG. And, I mean WILD! Don't do the bleach everytime. We were doing the Calgon and laundry soap ONLY when we were running, but after reading some fine testimonials here at MOC, we will probably dump some Calgon down each drain after each and every dump. The idea of it sitting there while the gray water fills for a few days sounds very smart to us, so we are gonna give it a try.

I have little faith that it will ever help those silly level lights read correctly, I am going for clean systems, and no odors!

So far, the little we have used the Calgon, laundry soap and bleach, we have been VERY happy with the results.

Carol
Old 06-28-2005, 07:34 AM   #17
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...UY-PLST-0-SRCH

calgon water softner on line. Hope this is the right stuff because this is what I bought.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:54 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've tried almost everything that others have tried. But the best we've found is Snow Fresh. A powder that requires 1/4 cup per dump. Absolutely no odor that we've noticed coming back up the toilet. I do not sell this product. When I need it I order it.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Carol.

We found the Calgon Water Softener at the local Walmart Supercenter. It was on the bottom shelf in the laundry products section. Almost missed it.

Orv, what's this Snow Fresh? Do you have a link or more info?

thanks.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:44 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Thanks, Carol.

We found the Calgon Water Softener at the local Walmart Supercenter. It was on the bottom shelf in the laundry products section. Almost missed it.

Orv, what's this Snow Fresh? Do you have a link or more info?

thanks.
Steve:
The link is www.snowfresh.com Unfortunately, I just checked and the website is under construction.So, I'll quote what the literature says: "Snow Fresh was developed with full time campers and boaters in mind. It offers odor control protection in all kinds of situations for folks who are concerned about the environmental and health impacts of using a known carcinogenic formaldehyde or paraformaldehyde product.
Our unique dual action formula is a combgination of five key natural ingredients, including a billion friendly bacteria in each scoop, that immediately begin to control odor by enhancing the natural breakdown of organic wastes while preventing septic odor when tanks are left for long periods of time.
There is no chemical odor or poisonous eye burning vapor to harm your health when treating your holding tanks or when dumping."

It's produced in 1# tub - $10; 3# tub -$25; 15# pail - $75. It's a granule and only takes 1/4 cup per dump (1/2 cup the first time used).

Thing we have really liked about (besides no odor) it is that it liquifies everything. I didn't believe it until I tried it. I buy it by the 15# pail. Costs $75 and shipping is free. I get it from Phil@snowfresh.com. Phone #888-396-1893, 828-688-1726
He is in Bakersville, NC. He ships it to me and I send him a check. Has worked great. I've been using it over 3 years now and still have over 10# left. I've even shared some with others who have gone on to purchase the product.
Note: I have no relationship to this guy, don't even know him.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote