Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Mishap at Rv dealer

Brought my Montana in to the dealers today to repair the bedroom slide crack.The owners son(maybe in his late 40`s) backed up the Montana to park it.He didn`t move the slider back and put a nice dent in my new dodge.He didn`t even say he was sorry.i went to the owner and told him the story and he said they will pay for the damage.Just got back from where i`am going to have the dent fixed.The owner of the repair shop said that he would try to repair it the easy way-estimate$750 bucks.If he can`t go this route he will have to remove the hitch,remove the back window,disconect the fuel tank and move the bed of the truck back so they can spray the paint on right-estimate $3500 bucks.I`am sick over this.I can see a major problem if the body shop has to go the 3500 route.Think I should give my insurance company a call.The truck goes in next Monday.The repair guy won`t know untill he starts the job which way the price will go.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
That is a bummer hope they get it fixed O K .
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
I believe you want to be a nice guy, but it sounds like it's time to get the Dealers Ins. Co. involved, before too much time passes. You deserve to be properly taken care of. It shouldn't be a hassle for you. Leave it up to the Ins. Co. Don't take the risk of not using proper methods for getting your new Truck fixed right.
A similar thing happened to me a few years ago when my Truck was 2 weeks old. I tried to be a nice guy and got stuck for $300.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Ouch -- just hate it when things like this happen and especially on a brand spanking new vehicle. Agree with azstar - let the dealer insurance company respond and you get your Ram repaired properly to be as good as new. Good luck.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Hopefully the repair shop is one you picked out, and not one the dealer picked out.

I'm with the others though, I'd tell the dealer I want it done properly and not the "easy way". That also means a replacement vehicle for the time your truck is in the shop. Once they do the repair, they'll want you to sign a paper saying you are happy and are releasing them from any further responsibility. Making a claim with your insurance company so they will contact the dealer's insurance is wise, or at least you contact their insurance company yourself.

If you had damaged their property, they would have had your insurance company notified the same day.

Good luck and well keep our fingers crossed that all goes well for you.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:27 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Thanks people for the info you provided.Yes it is a body shop that I want the work done at.I know this place well.They have a great reputation and they do excelent work.The RV dealer had mentioned to use their body shop,but i said I would like to use the one near me who I know.I wasn`t going to call the insurance company.But after reading all your post,I think I`ll rethink that position.I`am going today to give them the estimate and tell them MAYBE it could be as much as 3500 and just see how they react.

Remember my Montana is in their hands.I don`t want bitterness and them sitting back and my Montana ends up at their place for 6 monthes.

Anyway thanks so much for your replys.i`ll let you know how things turn out.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:58 AM   #7
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
This is not your fault so in saying that you have to do what is right for YOU and not for the dealer. If you had done this to your own truck, which way would you go, the "easy way" or the $3500 way? There is no reason on this earth you need to contact YOUR insurance company and I wouldn't either. They are responsible for it since they are the ones who broke it in the first place. I think I might even call Keystone and explain to them what happened to give them a heads up so you can let them know what the out come is and how they handled it. Keystone might want to pull their business if the dealer is going to be hokey about it.

Remember this isn't your fault and you have to do what you have to do. You wouldn't be doing any of this if they wouldn't have screwed up in the first place.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

Brought my Montana in to the dealers today to repair the bedroom slide crack.The owners son(maybe in his late 40`s) backed up the Montana to park it.He didn`t move the slider back and put a nice dent in my new dodge.He didn`t even say he was sorry.i went to the owner and told him the story and he said they will pay for the damage.Just got back from where i`am going to have the dent fixed.The owner of the repair shop said that he would try to repair it the easy way-estimate$750 bucks.If he can`t go this route he will have to remove the hitch,remove the back window,disconect the fuel tank and move the bed of the truck back so they can spray the paint on right-estimate $3500 bucks.I`am sick over this.I can see a major problem if the body shop has to go the 3500 route.Think I should give my insurance company a call.The truck goes in next Monday.The repair guy won`t know untill he starts the job which way the price will go.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
[quote
Remember my Montana is in their hands.I don`t want bitterness and them sitting back and my Montana ends up at their place for 6 monthes.
[/quote]

It's called "CARE, CUSTODY & CONTROL" insurance that I'm sure the dealer carriers under his Garage Liability.

And my vote is yes, turn it into theirs. Is your state a no fault state?
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I agree. Get in communication with their insurance co. Being a nice guy cost me money and time and my vehicle didn't get repaired correctly. You need to protect yourself always. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
We had new mini-blinds installed in our motorhome a few years back. The installer used 2" screws. They worked on the side walls but went through the rearcap. The bid to fix was $3500. We felt sorry for the self-employed installer. Got shorter screws and filled holes with sealant. Actually felt sorry when we traded it in on our first 5'er.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:28 AM   #11
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
These kind of things make my stomach turn. There's absolutely no reason for you or your insurance to take it in the shorts. Do hope you've followed through with the Dealers insurance company.

PS: You might want to keep good notes on who you've talked to and when. Hopefully, you won't need your "diary", but you might.

Keep us posted, and good luck.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote