Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
South Dakota

We are getting ready to establish our new full time domicile in South Dakota. Been searching the MOC archives. It sounds like Alternative Resources is the mail box of choice for many MOC members. That sounds good to us, but since most of the posts on the subject are two or more years old, thought we would ask if anyone has an updated opinion. Our plan is to make the change in about two weeks after we complete a couple of commitments here in Ohio.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
we use http://www.mydakotaaddress.com/....love terri. give her a call or email her.

we became sd residents, you have to be there one night in SD.
we vote, our truck/5th wheel insurance is under $1K a year (full timer insurance)...non full time insurance in michigan was over $2500., she emails me when i get something, she opens and sends checks to our banks when requested, refrigs meds when necssary, faxes and/or downloads documents as requested. and, if you are a vet, 10% discount. we have the plan where she keeps our mail until we ask for it....we stay in mexico for a number of months.....no problem.....love terri and her staff. they are an hour north of sioux falls.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I just used mydakotaadress.com also.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Been using Alternative Resources for the last two years. No complaints here and great service. They been around for a long while also. They work with you on a lot of things and are very prompt. Thats my opinion! Check out Dougherty Ins. right next door for your insurance needs also while there.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I just noticed that all of us are marines....go figure. semper fi.

and we also use dougherty insurance as a full timer.

and like i said, my dakota give us veterans a 10% discount.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Don and Bonnie,

We just completed the process less the drivers licences. Alternative Resources was great. Paul and Karen are on top of their games and everything worked as described.

Our vehicles are now registered and insured in SD. We used Dougherty and Assoc. to handle the insurances and Jacque over there was also great with her help.

We are heading west the last week in August and staying at Tower campground and will get our SD DL and voter ID's that week.

The process is smooth and seamless. For us between setting up the PMB (1 day), title and registrations (1 week from start to finish) and insurances (2 days) you could not ask for better.

Give Paul a call and he will walk you thru it.

Good Luck!

Les and Sue
Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Just be very careful that the State you are moving from allows you to leave without buying property somewhere else.. Many states are going after you years later.. It can cost you thousands... This is not something that the mail forwarding services tell you about until it is too late...

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Just be very careful that the State you are moving from allows you to leave without buying property somewhere else.. Many states are going after you years later.. It can cost you thousands... This is not something that the mail forwarding services tell you about until it is too late...

Helen
Can you elaborate more on this. I'm a little confused. Why would I have to buy property to move away from MI.? This don't make sense to me as I might leave MI and go to another area and rent a condo. Please explain.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Helen, if what you are saying is because of taxes on the profit from the sale of a house, we should be ok. Our sale got us out from under the mortgage, but did not exceed the purchase price. Actually when I file taxes next year, I'm going to see if I can deduct the loss.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There are some other things to consider, however. For us the deal breaker is health insurance. We have Blue Cross of Kansas and if they decide we don't live in Kansas anymore we're toast until we can get medicare. Right now we're in a group with young people, if we had to get individual insurance at our age no savings from state of residence would be worth it. For me that's next year, but for Joyce the year after. In addition some states, Kansas being one of them, tax your pension benefits earned in that state even if you're now an out of state resident. Kind of ruins the benefits of a no income tax state. In addition, there can be problems with concealed carry and other things, it's just not as simple for some of us as it is for others. As a result we use the Escapee's mail service and are still residents of Kansas.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have used Alternative Resources for more than nine years and have had no significant problems. We're happy with them.

I am not sure what Dick's insurance situation is but there are many different plans. We also have Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas. Our legal address is South Dakota and BCBSKS has no problem with that. It all boils down to the plan your group has.

I retired from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas and have the same plan I had when I worked there. The exception is that, knowing we would be traveling, I chose to change from an HMO plan to a plan that pays better when I go outside that network of providers (facilities and doctors).

With any of the plans you can go to any provider in any state who participates with his regional BCBS and you will get coverage per YOUR contract with YOUR BCBS. I was the IT project leader for installation of the system that handles that.

Uou have to be aware the same limitations you have while in-state (where your BCBS is located) also apply when out of state. In other words, if you are part of an HMO or PPO where you get a better deal when you go to a facility/doctor who participates in that particular HMO or PPO, and you pay more when you go outside that network, then that also applies out of state. It also is possible your plan has different payments for out of state service than for in-state out-of-network services.

There are a few plans out there that will NOT cover you if you move out of state. Therefore, I very highly recommend you contact Customer Service in your BCBS and explain to them what you are planning to do. It may mean you change coverage plans within your existing group. It may mean nothing changes for you. Or it may mean you'd have to transfer to a plan offered by BCBS of South Dakota. If you are a member of a group for your insurance coverage, then if you transfer you might have to have individual coverage, which can be rather expensive. So please contact your BCBS and talk it over with them. Be sure they know what group you are with because it is that contract with that group that spells out your options in this scenario.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Been with alt resources since 2005, great company, and always supportive
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Helen
Helen,

You are correct but if you are not looking to own real property any where if you lived in a state such as us in NJ they are going to get you. Here in the wonderful state of NJ they call it a realty transfer tax and unless you stay in the state regardless of owning property for at least 1 year you will have to pay it. For us it amounts to about $4,000.

Pretty sad but that's what keeps the coffers filled in the state house. We promised the state that we would turn the lights off when we left.

SD here we come!

Les

Old 08-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Trust me on this... When a State is going broke they will do anything to get money. Minnesota is going after RV'ers as far back as 8 or 9 years ago... Here is just a sample of what they are doing..

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mn-suprem...t/1385455.html

They are now going much further and going to forums like this on and signing up then tracking anyone that says they were from their state.. They use your signature to see what kind of RV you have and go from there.. They even go the campgrounds and check license plates.. When they see one from South Dakota for example, they check with that state to see where you came from... They know all the mail forwarding places so know you are fulltiming...The first thing they do is write to you demanding to see copies of all purchases you have made since leaving your home state.. It gets worse from then on and can cost you Thousands to fight them....
The link above is about income tax but they try to get sales tax on any RV's, trucks, motorcycles etc.. And they don't stop at the year you moved.. They continue right up to today's date... If you do not give them the info they go by the MSRP and bill you on the full amount listed... The case I am now referring to is still pending so I can not say too much.. The tax people are lurking everywhere.. I am not making this up... Just be sure you know the rules of the State you are leaving... That is the only one that counts..
Helen
Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Has anyone had any issues with leaving the State of Ohio to start full timing?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #16
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I find it hard to believe that state governments have the personnel to follow ex-residents to collect taxes that are difficult to assess and are of questionable legality- It seems to me these government bodies are hard pressed to take care of their business in their own back yards due to the state of their finances and downsized work forces- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Never underestimate a money hungry government. Twelve years ago when we moved from Missouri to Ohio, the Missouri tax people harassed us for three years trying to collect Missouri income tax. We had to send them proof that we no longer had a presence in the state along with proof that we now owned a home in Ohio.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
States are so desperate that they are hiring interns to find the money.. They get big bonuses for what they bring in... The IRS is at teh top of the line where it comes to doing anything to get their money... They are ruthless... If you tell them to get lost they really pull out all stops... They will come after you and take your home if you are living in an RV... We really need help in the RV Industry with forming some kind of a committee to help the people that are just trying to enjoy life and do everything they think is right only to hear 8 years later that you owe $55,000 in back taxes with the penalty and interest tacked on.. To fight this to the top is OVER $100,000.00... They know this so most of us just give in and pay what they want.. That is not right. Not right at all.

Helen
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
All I can say to this is "WOW".
It looks like to avoid all the problems, it's best to buy something in another state first, before leaving your home state. I also figure that not all states stoop this low.
Thanks for the info.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #20
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
The case I am referring to bought their RV three years after going full time and actually bought it and their car in South Dakota, paid tax in South Dakota .. Because they did not buy property in South Dakota, MN says that they are still residents of MN and owe the money to them... Not all States are this bad but many are and many more are getting on the band wagon..,,Sure glad we bought our place in Florida..
By the way, Rick and Jan, our place is just on the next block from you at Wilderness...

Helen