Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Integrated Braken Controller Failure

2010 chevy duramax - lost trailer brakes coming downhill into grants pass,or. Pulled over, reinserted 7pin connector, everything back to normal. Pulled out of RV park this morning, dash said - trailer brake system service - no trailer brakes. Tried reinserting cord, no change. Went to RV facility, they determined problem with truck integrated brake controller, not with trailer. So, $40 and off to nearest GM dealer in Medford. Four hours later and $319 poorer, new brake controller relay and replaced blown 20amp fuse. Relay is located on frame near rear axle.
Still have no idea what caused problem, nor did dealer although said they have seen several similar failures. Have about 15-20K miles towing with no previous trouble from unit.

On top of that - very expensive to replace with a prodigy or other under dash unit since integrated controller is wired into computer. Dealer said would be about $500 to rewire to accept a non-integrated controller!

S0 - over the mountains to Redding, Ca - pray unit does not fail again!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Steve & Donna, have had similar problems, although not in the circumstance you did. We have an '08 GMC with integrated controller. First major failure of braking was self-inflicted. One thing I learned, do NOT ever pull the emergency pin to test the trailer brakes, while the trailer is plugged into the truck 7 pin. It causes a "backfeed" from the trailer battery into the truck system, and caused a fault in the computer, which shut down/disabled the braking system. Fortunately, it didn't destroy anything. But, to correct it, I had to unplug the 7 pin, re-insert the breakaway pin, and then shut the truck down and restart, to reset everything. It worked fine after that!

I have had occasion for the brake fault to come on, on the DIC, usually with no trailer hooked up. These things are problematic, in that over time, they will get dirt, dust, salts, water, etc, into the connections at the plug, and cause faults. Dealer says this is common, and to help prevent it, I spray it once in a while with WD-40. Also, there are automotive corrosion inhibitors you can get for connectors as well. Blowing a fuse and damaging the controller sounds like something shorted in the connector. With the computer systems now days, it doesn't take much.

Hope this helps.

Side note: Another item that is often overlooked, and can cause problems is the breakaway switch. It seldom gets checked/tested, and can corrode and fail as well. I had a utility trailer once, that had gotten that way. I hooked it up, and heard a hissing sound, saw smoke coming from the breakaway, and quickly unhooked. Corrosion had built up from lack of use/moisture, so it shorted out and I had to replace it. I now check it regularly, and spray it with WD-40!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
These integrated capabilities are getting more and more sophisticated, and expensive to repair I guess. Good info on what to be careful with. Our Ford actually logs the trailer miles when towing on a separate trip setting.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
dondrasmith
Established Member

M.O.C. #9615
Installing an aftermarket controller on your truck is actually a very simple, although time-consuming, project. We have an 2008 GMC 3500 Duramax DRW with a factory integrated brake controller. We have had nothing but problems with this since we have had the truck. We have had brake failure on 3 different occasions with the "Service Trailer Brake System" warning on DIC, which of course means NO TRAILER BRAKES. Truck was taken to the dealer each time and the relay was replaced at no charge because the truck was under warranty. We were told this was a common problem.

This happened again 2 weeks ago. We have now installed an aftermarket P3 controller, which has many more features and settings than the factory IBC. We have not gotten to take a trip yet but I am sure we will be very happy with this set-up. We had and old prodigy in our old tow vehicle and travel trailer, never had any problems with it. We really should have done this the second time we had problems, but of course we did not.

I have read several reviews where this aftermarket controller has been installed on trucks (all makes) with factory integrated brake controllers and the people were very satisfied with it. If you should ever get a trailer with electric over hydraulic disc brakes, the integrated controller won't work anyway and an aftermarket has to be installed.

If you will look under your dash, just to the left of the brake pedal, you will see the blunt cut wires for installation of the aftermarket controller. These wires will have a white label around them that even tells you what they connect on the aftermarket controller. The only wire you don't connect directly is the blue brake wire. This has to be wired from the controller straight back to the 7-pin plug. That is the time consuming part of the installation, but well worth the effort, considering problems the GMC IBC has had.

Here is a link for how to install an aftermarket P3 in an 07-11 GMC Truck. Also e-trailer.com has lots of other helpful videos and information you can look at. Good Luck

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-2007-...ontroller.aspx
dondrasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Thanks "dondrasmith". Upon return, I found a place which also indicates no big problem putting a p3 aftermarket brake controller, although he said the labor will be about 1/2 more than normal due to the new wiring required. But, like you, I have lost confidence in the integrated system.

But, am still disappointed since spent $320 at the GM dealer to repair controller on way home since truck is out of warranty except for power train, and now will have another significant expenditure to install the aftermarket. But - what can you do?!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
dondrasmith
Established Member

M.O.C. #9615
Glad you made it home safe
dondrasmith is offline   Reply With Quote