Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
los angeles area camping..

Well hello all you old friends!!! I know this will be the best place to ask, I need to find a place for my montana in the Los Angeles area. I will be having back surgery later this month and what better way to recover than in my home away from home. HAving a hard time locating something online. Any info will be greatly welcomed. Thanks Steve

mtkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
LA is a huge area. What area are you interested in? There are not many actual RV parks in that area. Your best bet might be to look for Mobile home parks. They will sometimes have spaces available. Good luck finding a place and also good luck with the surgery. I've had two of the back surgeries so know what you're going through. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hamrad is NOT exaggerating, in fact I fear he put it too lightly... There are over 470 square miles in L.A. and with the spider web of roads and freeways, while they make all parts very accessible, it is estimated there are more vehicles in town that people! This makes for overcrowding of these same roads and freeways. DW and I were just up there last night, and it was crowded and bigger, meaning more people and traffic.

Don't be surprised that it will be difficult to find an RV Park near your treatment area, but if you're lucky there might be one. If you can provide the treatment areas or other establishment you'll be frequenting, we might be able to suggest something, but still expect some driving distances. For example, I'm hoping around the Pomona area on the eastern edge of L.A. because I can think of a couple of places and they have been known to provide long term arrangements. There's also a couple of places in Orange County but it's not L.A.

Most other RV parks have been taken over by "emminent domain" and they've been chased to the far outskirts or into oblivion, so it's important we know where you'll be. And a lot of mobile home parks have closed off their RV sites in favor of the more profitable Mobile home sites.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
A couple of years ago we stayed at San Dimas at the East Shore RV Park and had a great site with a view overlooking the fairgrounds. It was 35 miles or so from our friends in Glendale, but as others have pointed out there are not many choices. Based on our experience, I would highly recommend this park, but note that there are several distinct "loops" so if you have a chance, it would be good to check them out before selecting a site. In our case, we were lucky.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
LA and RV park sound to me to be mutually exclusive entities. Sorry I can't recommend a good place to stay but I do want to wish you great success with your surgery and a speedy recovery.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

A couple of years ago we stayed at San Dimas at the East Shore RV Park and had a great site with a view overlooking the fairgrounds. It was 35 miles or so from our friends in Glendale, but as others have pointed out there are not many choices. Based on our experience, I would highly recommend this park, but note that there are several distinct "loops" so if you have a chance, it would be good to check them out before selecting a site. In our case, we were lucky.
Very nice park and close to freeway 57-10 interchange. There is also A KOA about a mile from East Shore.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
My surgery will be at cedar Sinai, don't mind driving a little.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Those were the two RV Parks I was thinking about near the Pomona area, the KOA and Eastshore RV Park both in San Dimas. These are quite a drive to Cedars Sinai...

Here's some other choices, too and I tried to include distance, direction from Cedar Sinai, contact information and features and facilities descriptions. I only have personal experience with East Shore RV Park and we like that one a lot. But the drive from and to Cedars Sinai is tricky to avoid the rush hour (which lasts more like 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening, and a coin toss pretty much the rest of the time.

1. Dockweiler RV Park, Playa Del Rey, CA (12 miles SW): (800) 950-7275. Restrooms/Showers/dump station. 118 full hookups. 37' max length. 21 day max. Next to Pacific Ocean near airport.

2. Birmingham RV Park, Balboa Blvd, Van Nuys, CA (19 miles NNW): (818) 785-0949. Restrooms/showers/semi-secure/laundry. 40 full hookups. Cable, long-term stay, wifi available. In San Fernando Valley.

3. Walnut RV Park, Nordhoff St, Northridge, CA (23 miles NW): (800) 868-2749. Restrooms/showers/laundry/wifi/semi-secure. 10 26x42 full hookup sites. In San Fernando Valley.

4. Malibu Beach RV Park, Malibu, CA (25 miles W): (800) 622-6052. Restrooms/showers/Major Cable/Wifi available, long-term stay, 88 15x65 full hookup sites. In Malibu overlooking Pacific Ocean.

5. Arbor Mobile Village, Long Beach (29 miles SSE): (562) 422-3666. Priv. 55+. pet restriction. restroom/showers/laundry. 37' max length. long term stays. 10 full hookup sites. Near I-710/I-405 interchange.

6. Golden Shore RV Resort, Long Beach, CA (34 miles SSE): (800) 668-3581. Restroom/Showers/laundry/RV supplies. 80 22x40 dirt sites with full hookups. Minor cable, wifi available. Near Queen Mary.

7. East Shore RV Park, San Dimas, CA (38 miles E): (800) 809-3778. Restrooms/showers/cable/long-term stay/wifi hotspot, 190 full hookups 33x45 or 27x50.

Anyway, here's a start. There might be more. #7 is highly rated but it is the farthest. The beach ones will be cold. Good luck finding something!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Have you checked to see if the hospital has RV parking? I had surgery in September, and for follow-up visits we stayed in the hospital's RV spots for a few nights. They (this was St. Vincent's Hospital in Portland, Oregon) have 8 RV sites, free of charge, with 50-amp & water. No FHU or dump station, but they gave us a list of free dump stations in the area. People staying at their RV sites were also able to use the showers in their gym.

Just a thought.........
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
Jim n Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9161
We have a son and his family that live about 10 minutes from the LA airport. We stayed at Dockweiller several years ago. It is mostly pavement with a grass strip down the middle. Yes, it is on the beach (which appealed to us) but they build up the sand berm in November till spring in case of storms so you cannot see the water. There is/was a problem with theft and NOTHING could be left outside at night. This was about 4 years ago so things might have changed but, hubby won't even to back to give it a try. We typically park the rig near Palm Springs and rent a car to go visit.

Good luck with the surgery.
Jim n Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 AM   #11
mtkrumm
Established Member

M.O.C. #6641
I knew I could count on this great group of people for all the info I could handle.I will check these suggestions out. Was thinking I would stay close until my follow up, then get the heck outta there!