Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
BrianA
Established Member

M.O.C. #10381
Storage cover

Does anybody have any experience with storage covers for our Montanas? We have a 2010 3665RE and will be storing it outdoors (my pole barn isn't tall enough) for the winter here in Minnesota. I see there are many different suppliers of storage covers, but I haven't seen any specific to a brand or model. Any help or experience would be appreciated. Thanks, -Brian

Old 10-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I think you will see that most are not covered for the winter. As has been said before, when they build them and inventory them where are they parked until they are sold? outside of course. We leave ours out all year in NY, just check the roof every year for bad caulk etc: and you should be fine. We did try a cover one winter,not an easy task,also if you are not VERY carefull on corners or anywhere it can rub,you will tear it.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
We found a boat dealer with extra large covered bays, enclosed on three sides. Well worth the expense to keep it out of the winter snow/sleet and summer sun.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
No doubt there are some that do use covers. It needs to be snug but not so tight it can rub (then wear out) any part of the rig. If it's going to be in severe weather the cover itself can be a problem if it is not installed correctly and not having one myself I cannot comment any more than that.

Be prepared to replace these over time too. Others who have these say they replace theirs every 3 to five years from wear caused by sun, too much dirt, animal or nature damage, rain, snow, etc. After all, they are fabric and this material will not as strong or durable as the skin of the Monty. I understand the materials are getting better but I'm sure the price becomes higher.

It might be better if you have the room, to install a "portable garage" tall enough to eliminate climbing all over your rig. But then this introduces how to fasten it so it doesn't become airborne and cause greater problems to the rig or anything else.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have a Calmark cover for mine. Had an Adco but it did not last long. The reason I cover mine as my storage area is next to an orchard. I had lost my Adco cover ripped tight down the center. New cover had not come yet. When I did get back to roll the Monty out for a trip it was covered with bee dodo. Took me a couple hours of washing to get it all off. I am happy with the Calmark. No rips or tears and it can get windy were I store to RV.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
With covers you have to have fabric that is not air tight as condensation becomes a problem and then if they are water absorbent the covers can mildew with accumulation of moisture over time. Most covers cannot be bound tight enough to prevent wind wear to the paint, especially if any area becomes detached and you are not there to repair or reinstall. Conclusion; probably not a good plan to cover a large RV.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote