Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Milk! Everywhere!

Same old story I guess. Refer opened during travel and lots of stuff fell out. 3/4 of a quart of milk spilled. Some of it on the carpet - no problem. A quick shampoo got it out. But the rest went down the heating vent. I ran a towel down the vent as far as I could in both directions but the smell is telling me the milk went further than I could.

Is there ANYTHING that will eliminate the odor of sour milk? Fabreze didn't work.

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
HMMM, sounds like DE JA VUE all over again. Dumped a gallon of milk a while back. Took the last vent cover off, toward the furnace, stuffed towels in it, poured water in the vent where the milk ran in. Wiped as far as I could, the water diluted the milk some, the towels soaked the liquid up pretty well, and the smell went away pretty quick. Good luck in the clean up.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I would try some baking powder in the water and wipe the vent our again
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Time heals all things.

Just give it 6 months or so and the smell will be gone. In the meantime, scotch, bourbon, and other items of the same quality will help. Do not pore the above mentioned items down the vent, but the esophagus.

Edited: Okay! Just kidding. Get one of those long reach duct cleaners, fasten a microfiber cloth, dampen, and reach as far as it will go.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
what about covering the vent? Not while using it of course, but when not in use?
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Perhaps a Professional duct cleaning service could help if it's that bad...Maybe Service Masters could offer some help or advice. For the future, we use the shelf guards on tension rods that go across the front of the shelves on the inside to keep this from happening. We have not had the refer open, but DW uses these to keep things from falling out when she opens the door.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
We USED to put the bars in when we had a SOB trailer. But the refer in the Monty closes and 'clicks' into place so positivly it has never come open before. I'm guessing it didn't latch completly this time. Lesson learned. The bars go back in before the next trip.

The spill was 4 days ago and the smell has all but gone away. We've got a lemon tree so I intend to put slices down there too.

I guess we're lucky it wasn't the Capt. Morgan. Or perhaps that would smell better as it ages?
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I once overflowed the black tank through the toilet(don't ask) in our old Jayco. I used a large Sears shop vac to blow a terrycloth wash rag with some kite line tied to it from the front vent to the back. I then pulled a much stronger line through with the kite line. I cut the heavier line to twice the length of the distance between the two vents. I then tied a large beach towel in the middle of the line. I wet the towel with bleach water and dragged it back and forth until it stopped coming out with dirt on it. I had to use about 6 towels. When I finished I put a screw eye at the bottom of both vents and tied each end of the long line to the screw eyes at each end. I stuffed the rest of the line into the duct and left it for the next time I got STUPID... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have noticed our refrigerator door sometimes appears to be fully closed, but is not latched. A slight push sometimes brings the final click to let me know it is latched.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I also have to double check my doors and just as BB_TX stated I push them in and once in a while I'll hear a click.
As for the Bars across the refrigerator we have every hole filled with curtian rods from Bed Bath and Beyond the ones with SMALL rubber tips on them ane the rod has a spring in it to apply outward pressure on the resesed holes on the wall of the frig. The ones Camping World sells are to much money and the rubber ends are too big to fit into the holes.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We were feeling pretty confident about our refer doors until after one trip there was a large frozen steak laying on the floor and all doors were shut! Now I use the little locks that are on the door openings. They don't fit all that well, and I have to fiddle with them to get them locked pushing and lifting the doors slightly. I put a postit note on the door that says "Fridge is Locked" so I'll remember to unlock them. They are rather fragile and I'm sure they could break easily.
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
If this ever happens again to anyone, try using thin flexible chimney cleaning rods that screw together so you can use them on a long straight run. They can be added or removed as needed. You can attach a rag or other cleaning head to the end
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote