Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
SALT AIR

We just purchased a new 2010 3400RL, and have only used it twice, so far. It has been a life time dream for the wife and I. Therefore, we want to take care of it. My question is, has anyone had any problems camping near the ocean, that was caused by salt water air or mist? My concern is of course the slide out arms, and gears. If this is not a problem, is there some kind of lub or protection that can be applied to the arms and gears to prevent any problems? Or should I just stay away from the ocean? Thanks for any advice.

ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We parked in the bay area (CA) right next to the ocean for several months. Everything we had rusted. Even the locks on the doors. All underneath, steps, bumper (it was not a Montanta). Also the salt air ate the seal at the roof line. Our bikes were totally ruined. We had to do major work on the plug that goes into the TV. Never again!!!!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
WIth our current Montana we have spent two, 3 month winters in the Florida Keys. We stay within 30 feet of the ocean. The frame has lots of rust, many screws and bolts, cross members under camper, and the black iron propane pipe are looking bad. If I could do it over again, I would get the frame and everything under neath rustproofed. The rest of the stuff is easier to replace.
However, we will continue for at least one more year.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Can’t tell you about being close to the ocean but I would like to welcome you aboard. This is a great forum and congratulations on your new Montana. I hope you get many years of happy camping out of it.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The only way you can stop all the rust, etc, is to keep washing it off. Don't let the salt water/air/spray have a chance to do damage.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
If you don't camp at the ocean then there's no use in having a camper. The key is like so many other things in life. Do it in moderation. We stay for 10 days at a time. I bring the rig home and wash it. I have never had a problem, and I bought my previous camper new and used it for 12 years.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
You can use Dry Lube on the arms and gears (you should be able to find this at any RV supply store) at least once a month to protect them from corrosion. The ram can be wiped down with automatic transmission fluid at least once a month to prevent pitting. Apply a little WD40 to all outside locks, and the king pin, etc. to prevent rusting. Keep the rig rinsed if you can with clean water to remove the salt mist. This should allow you to camp near the ocean with minimal damage.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We spent a lovely week near Corpus Christi a few years ago- It took me a full day to wash the salt off our crew cab dually and a month of daily effort to wash the salt off our 35' 5th wheel after we left the coast- All in all, it was worth it- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We have been right on the bay in Aransas Pass, TX for over a year now. You are not gonna stop the rust when next to salt water; maybe just slow it down a little. If set up for any length of time near salt, I would use a good marine grease on the hydraulic cylinder ram. Coat it good when extended.

I'm in the process of treating rust at this time. I tried "Ospho", which IIRC, is phosphorus acid. I have a couple products now, Restore and Revive, from Quest Chemical. Both these products treat the rust, and then leave a polymeric coating over it. The Restore can be brushed or sprayed in a airless sprayer, and the Revive comes in a spray can. From the little I've used these, I like the results I see. I'm back in East TX for Memorial Day, but will take the pressure washer back to the RV, and try to blast the loose rust and paint from the frame and jacks. I will then go over all of it with the rust converter.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Will,
We used to use a product called "Extend" - (no not that Extend) which is a chemical rust preventer/primer made by Loctite Corporation. We used it in a high corrosive atmosphere (tobacco plant) which was subject to a lot of fumes/chemicals that attacked all painted and or bare ferric metal surfaces. The only hope was stainless steel or treatment by this stuff. Use rubber gloves and pour the amount needed into a seperate container, use throw away brush - do NOT return leftover back to original container. Contact with the iron in the surface you are protecting starts a chemical process that at first turns white and then dries to a hard black, paintable (or not) surface in about an hour. Result is a smooth, long-lasting finish lasting for many years.
O - did I mention this stuff is about $100.00 a gallon? - Gotta pay for this kind of lasting protection.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote